PDA

View Full Version : Ads in Wrigely Field

BruceZ
06-09-2003, 09:23 AM
How long has this been going on? Over the weekend I saw ads posted on the bricks behind home plate. This is a sacrilege! You don't display ads on the altar at church, and you don't mess with the shrine that is Wrigely Field. First the lights, then the renovations, now this. What's next, hanging banners from the ivy? This isn't US Cellular Field or Qualcomm Stadium. I hope this was only happening because the games were on national TV.

Dr Wogga
06-09-2003, 09:48 AM
...are you sure these are real ads and not made-for-TV technology "billboards" that look like they are part of the grandstand walls? If these were real ads, then I agree this is out and out desecration and sacrilege.

Despite being a Yankee fan, Wrigley field, with the ivy colored walls and brick grandstand walls is classic. My wife, not much of a sports fan, couldn't get over the beauty of Wrigley Field, nor the countless people on rooftops and balconies and in windows across the street from the ballpark watching. Really takes you back in time. Also, I give a major thumbs-up for inter-league play. If not over-done, this is a good thing for MLB.

BruceZ
06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
You know, they may have been electronically generated. They did change througout the game. Do they do that? Actually I do seem to remember seeing something about this, from the people who brought you the yellow line in football. That would make me feel considerably better, though making it look like there is an ad on the bricks is pretty silly when this should never happen. If you watch the Pope delivering mass (is that what he delivers?) from the Vatican, you don't expect them to electronically put a Budweiser sign on his hat or something.

Porcupine
06-09-2003, 11:28 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...are you sure these are real ads and not made-for-TV technology "billboards" that look like they are part of the grandstand walls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Wogga is correct. ESPN is real bad about doing those electronic billboards during baseball. I think I saw their "Sportscenter is next" ad at one point, usually a giveaway to me if I'm not sure if the ad is for TV only or at the ballpark.

Personally, I hate when they insert ads that aren't actually at the stadium. I'm OK with it when they show something with no commercials (World Cup matches), but if we have to sit through the standard commercial breaks, these extra ads suck.

Dr Wogga
06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
...the Pope to be advertising Bud (LOL!!!), but as a Roman Catholic, I submit that might be an improvement over the NAMBLA ads they've been running on his hat...... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

HDPM
06-09-2003, 01:32 PM
I expect a lot more from the Cubs than I do from the Pope actually. Wrigley is a much more pristine environment than any church, and should remain so. And that is with all of baseball's problems and the perpetual incompetence of the Cubs.

Easy E
06-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Local stations do the same thing with local teams.

Watch how often the banners change