PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from all you steak gurus

TBag
10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Well since moving out of the dorms and into an apartment, I have decided that I must learn how to cook. Anyways, I've been reading a few of the steak threads and people seem to go buck ass wild over their porterhouses, ribeyes, and what have you, but I've yet to see any info on the round top (aka cheap bastard special).

I'd like to be indulging in flesh in the next few hours, so preferable a recipie that wouldn't require a marinade would be nice, but I do have extra meat that I could marinade and cook tomorrow if you have a tasty recipie.

Thanks OOT, so many threads here have directly influenced the happiness of my stomach.

10-25-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well since moving out of the dorms and into an apartment, I have decided that I must learn how to cook. Anyways, I've been reading a few of the steak threads and people seem to go buck ass wild over their porterhouses, ribeyes, and what have you, but I've yet to see any info on the round top (aka cheap bastard special).

I'd like to be indulging in flesh in the next few hours, so preferable a recipie that wouldn't require a marinade would be nice, but I do have extra meat that I could marinade and cook tomorrow if you have a tasty recipie.

Thanks OOT, so many threads here have directly influenced the happiness of my stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally go to www.epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com) for all my recipe needs.

happy hunting

10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Well you could always fry it like spam or something

jaydub
10-25-2005, 11:46 PM
do not try to cook top round as a steak. try stir frying it. a simple recipe is this:

put peanut oil in wok / pan
heat to high
add diced onion
cook onion for 3-5 minutes until brown
add cubed beef (1lb)
add diced ginger like 1 tbsp or more
cook till beef loses red
add 1 tbsp hoison + like half a cup of soy sauce
simmer for about a minute
serve over rice

use whatever beef is on sale at the store. if they have the already cut stuff, perfect.

otis_nixon
10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
fry it definetly it'll be like chewing on leather. stir fry it or grill it, if you don't have marinade just use a dark carbonated drink and pepper. preferrably pepsi

Shajen
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
download the Good Eats on cheap assed steaks, or go to foodtv.com and look for Good Eats recipes.

Alton explains the differences in the cuts and all that groovy crap, as well as how to cut it after cooking so you aren't eating a piece of leather. It is a very "fibrous" cut of meat, with long strips of connective tissue, so how you cut is just as important as how you cook it.

He also cooks it an interesting way, throwing it directly on the coals themselves. He has a couple marinades that are quick and easy to make as well.

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Alton.

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
This is great on ribeyes

big ziplock bag
montreal steak seasoning (the everything mix)
1/2 cup of olive oil
3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar

MIX
SHAKE
SIT (2-8 hours)

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 09:35 AM
all you need for this are the following

1 Veal chop about 2"+ thick (only found at chop shops usually)
Thyme
mozzerela
prosscuito (no clue how to spell this)
tooth pick

slice the veal in the middle along the side
on the side take a 2 slices of procscuit and 1 slice of mozzerela with 1 stick of thyme and stuff it into the middle

close with a toothpick

drizzel olive oil over the veal and enjoy!

10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
I agree with the stir fry idea for cheaper meat. Try "velveting" the meat for about 5 minutes before you throw it in. This is how Chinese restaurants get their meat so tender. Make a mixture out of about 3 T. of soy sauce, 1 t. of sugar, 1 cup of water, and 2 T. of corn starch. Slice the meat thinly and add it to the mixture. Stir often for about 5 minutes so the cornstarch doesn't clump. Drain, and add it to the stir fry. This works for pork and chicken, too.

jaydub
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
So homeboy can't afford good steak and your solution is to buy a veal chop from a butcher?