PDA

View Full Version : Settling a dispute with a friend

10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Tonight I need the OOT forum's advice on settling a delicate dispute. My friend borrowed 20 dollars a few weeks ago to gamble with and lost it. When I asked him to pay it tonight he claims that he paid me the last time we saw each other (last thrusday). I remember bringing it up, but for the life of me I can't remember him giving me any cash. Nor did I notice any extra money on my wallet recently (Iusually carry about 40, so an extra twenty would be noticed.)

I am 100% positive that he still owes me, as he claims to be 100% positive that he does not.

Whats my play on this? A fight to the death with weapons has already been suggested. Any other option?

RacersEdge
10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Hire a lawyer.

10-25-2005, 10:18 PM
let the dispute simmer uncomfortably for many years, then bring it up awkwardly at some point down the road

gorie
10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
tell him you believe him.
then ask if you can borrow $20.

10-25-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tell him you believe him.
then ask if you can borrow $20.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

I would belittle him relentlessly untill he caves

FouTight
10-25-2005, 10:25 PM
ask him exactly where and when he gave you the money, see if it rings a bell for either of you.

if I paid someone $20 that I owed them, I would probably be able to tell them the specifics. "Remember, we were in the hall, right after we ran a train on that Holly chick, right?"

RRRRICK
10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Tell him to go and buy a new friend with his $20

10-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Next time you go to a bar, make sure he's really drunk, and put everything on a tab, work it out so he pays $20 more and you pay $20 less. This could be a tab spread out across several friends.

10-25-2005, 10:34 PM
If he's a good friend and you both legitimately think you are right, split the difference and have him give you $10.

eviljeff
10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
lol, these are some of the funniest/wittiest responses I've ever read. way to raise the bar OOT

rt1
10-25-2005, 11:05 PM
there is a simple way to prevent this.

everytime you give someone money (that you owe them) do something that really stands out. this way they will never forget it. ive done some pretty stupid [censored], but the ppl have never forgotten... it works.

HopeydaFish
10-25-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is a simple way to prevent this.

everytime you give someone money (that you owe them) do something that really stands out. this way they will never forget it. ive done some pretty stupid [censored], but the ppl have never forgotten... it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Personally, I enjoy kicking my friends in the nuts as I'm paying them back. They always remember that.

man
10-25-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you go to a bar, make sure he's really drunk, and put everything on a tab, work it out so he pays $20 more and you pay $20 less. This could be a tab spread out across several friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess the rest of the friends wouldn't notice? and I guess we spend enough at bars that a $20 discrepancy is unnoticable? god I wish I wasn't such a budget boy.

I think you should make a bet with him for $20 that you're right. and when he agrees, say "ha, you're such a sucker!" and accept his $20 and apology for being wrong. and then go buy something nice, because damn, you've earned it.