PDA

View Full Version : shorthanded walking into monsters

10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
This has happened to me frequently with 3 or 4 people left to go in a tournament. For instance the other day i was short stacked in the big blind with the small blind being a bully with 4 players left. Everyone folds the the small blind and he min raises as usual, the blinds are 50 100 and i have 880 left after i call with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Flop comes J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. He bets 200 and as i expect him to and i push all in expecting to burn him. But he calls and shows AA. Did i play this hand wrong? With this short a stack is there any way i can lay that hand down on the flop?

tigerite
10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I would generally fold JTs in this position and not call the raise, because you'll be out of position on the flop. You're not short stacked with 7bb left really, better to bide your time.

10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I believe he's BB which would put him IN position.
But I'd fold pf as well for stack preservation reasons.

JudoGirl
10-25-2005, 08:59 PM
You are getting 3:1 odds against a player who is probably raising with any two to bully and you throw JTs away?

To OP: if he is really minraising every time, I think you have to call here getting 3:1 odds. If you hit you push. I would love to hear why this is wrong though. But you should never post the results of a hand as it can bias the feedback you get.

tigerite
10-26-2005, 05:05 AM
JTs is too marginal and doesn't work well hot and cold. You'll hit a flop 1 time in 3 and the rest of the time not know where the heck you are.

By out of position, I mean, you can't stop and go the flop. When it gets to this stage of the game, being in late position on a flop you want to get your money in on doesn't have quite the same effect..

Scuba Chuck
10-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Just a word of solace. You will go in streaks of running into monsters, and if you don't understand the game, it can make you question your play. The probability of being dealt AA is like 0.5%. On average, we are dealt AA once every 221 hands.

On to your hand. If it's the bubble, I would need to know more about the hand than what you've given, particularly the stack sizes of the other players. If it's ITM, I think this is a clear call, and unfortunate outcome.

tigerite
10-26-2005, 06:30 AM
It's in the post Scuba..

[ QUOTE ]

i was short stacked in the big blind with the small blind being a bully with 4 players left.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I fold..