PDA

View Full Version : talking about hands after the fact

bernie
06-09-2003, 01:28 AM
i was sitting on a table getting folder's elbow when i heard players yapping on a table behind me about a hand that had been played. interesting conversation to listen to, kind of like a thread, (friendly tones) when i hear a guy, (newer to the room, but seemed to want to try and play well) gruffly and adamantly ask the table not to talk about hands. i dont believe he was involved in the hand.

i had to blink a little and do a double take to the table. it's one thing to not talk about a hand in progress. but after the fact? i wanted to go over and say, 'hey pal, theyre telling you how they play...shut up and take the free info'. he actually got a table change.

ive been at tables like this and it's quite beneficial. especially if youre in a new room and guys are yappin like that. it catches you up on their play that much quicker. many players arent lying when theyre discussing the hands. usually you can tell if they are, but most arent. theyre genuine in their assessment. many want to show how theyd have played it differently or better than the guy who played it. and some just like to comment on it. btw...there was no berating going on that i could hear.

the only way i tend to join in, when i do or if someone asks something of me about the hand, is to ask/return-ask a leading question that they can elaborate on. then i sit and listen to them tell me with wide eyes how and why theyd play a certain way in that spot. like it's a pleasure for them to 'clue' me in.

it's amazing how some will tell you how they think if you just ask em. but this guy was giving up a golden opportunity here. the chat also wasnt holding up the game. and it wasnt happening often. this was one time where i really noticed it though.

again, if it was during the hand, he has a very legit bitch. that's BS. but after the hand? and no one is really getting chastized? (and there is a difference. i dont condone berating a player for how he plays. he can play however he wants. especially if they found a way to crack my aces with a 48-1 shot /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )

but just sit, listen, learn, incorporate, plot and adjust. it's not in one's best interest to ask them to be quiet at this point. soak up the info. it's to your benefit. you could play for hours and learn the stuff theyll tell you in a matter of minutes.

anyways, just thought id share

b

Barry
06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm with you Bernie. Having these folks tell you how they think about poker is extremely useful. It's interesting that the folks that talk the most are usually mediocre players. Asking them a question usually generates much more information than you need or want.

The best players hardly ever talk about hands; they usually talk between themselves only about how good or bad a particular game is.

Open up your ears and listen everyone!

bernie
06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
"Asking them a question usually generates much more information than you need or want."

and sometimes you cant shut em up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif they really feel good that theyre 'teaching' someone something.

"The best players hardly ever talk about hands; they usually talk between themselves only about how good or bad a particular game is"

funny you mention this. i actually thought about this today when a newer player was yapping behind me to another guy about getting his aces cracked. most 'seasoned' guys have been there so many times, it doesnt bother them much. it's just a hand. but now that you mention it, many of the players who bemoan bad beats and such havent been hardened to the game quite yet. so in a way, it can show what playing level, psychologically, theyre on. btw..the guy who the player was talking to just kind of 'oh welled' the hand as the guy kept on explaining it. it was almost like you could see the difference in the players by watching this.

this is one reason i dont wear headphones. there is just too much possible info, maybe not even on youre table, to pass up.

nice post

b