PDA

View Full Version : Sklansky's Hold 'Em Poker (his first book)

10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
No one seems to talk about Sklansky's first hold 'em book (http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Hold'em%20Poker), Hold 'Em Poker, as people seem to think Miller's GSIH is the best introduction to poker. What is the general opinion about Sklansky's first book? Is it a good book for beginners or should I recommend GSIH?

Background, someone I know is interested in learning poker. I have Sklansky's book in storage (I read it, but it was a long time ago) and am wondering if I should give it to him, or just recommend GSIH.

HtotheNootch
10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I've read both. While Hold'em Poker is a good read and was helpful, I wish GSIH was out when I started. Hold'em Poker is for larger stakes games than a beginner should play.

GSIH without a doubt.

Felipe
10-25-2005, 06:06 PM
the hand groups in sklansky was very difficult for me to grasp. i can't think in "groups".

10-25-2005, 10:43 PM
I also can't understand why no one talks about Hold'em Poker because it's a great book. I've never read GSIH, but you can't go wrong with Hold'em Poker.

Walker
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't bother with getting HP. HPFAP is an essential book to own and it seems to cover pretty much everything in HP (plus a whole lot more).

Peter666
11-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Any beginner should start with GSIH first, because it introduces you to hand rankings, and gives other "starting from scratch" advice. HEP can be read after that followed by SSHE or HEFAP. HEP introduces the essential winning concepts in a brief manner, and has a little info not contained in the other books. It will make the other dense books easier to digest.

deacsoft
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I love the avatar.
mine used to be this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/deacsoft/54744.jpg

I have the picture (no words) tatooed on my back.

deacsoft
11-03-2005, 06:02 PM
My girlfriend is just wanting to learn about poker. I'm having her read both books. They will be the first two she reads.