PDA

View Full Version : HDTV - 1080i vs. 1080p

Freakin
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm looking at getting an HDTV in the next 2 months, since I'm getting married in December. Currently I'm looking at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDSR50XBR1). It's a 50" SXRD system that is supposed to be a phenomonal 1080p picture. The problem is, it doesn't support any 1080p INPUTS /images/graemlins/confused.gif. It has a fantastic upscaler to make all signals 1080p, but this seems like a strange move by sony.

The picture looks like the best rear projection HDTV available right now, so it's obviously quite appealing to me. Do you think I'll be regretting it when PS3 and HD-DVD comes out?

Also, what's minimum viewing distance for 50" and 60" screens?

Freakin

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, it doesn't support any 1080p INPUTS /images/graemlins/confused.gif. It has a fantastic upscaler to make all signals 1080p, but this seems like a strange move by sony.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's because there is no use for them. The only 1080p content you'll find will be on the internet, and there isn't much of it. Will it not take a 1080p signal over HDMI coming from a DVI-out on a video card (with a DVI-to-HDMI adapter)?

I know there's at least one large thread at avsforum.com on this set. I'm sure they answer all these questions and more.

10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking at getting an HDTV in the next 2 months, since I'm getting married in December. Currently I'm looking at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDSR50XBR1). It's a 50" SXRD system that is supposed to be a phenomonal 1080p picture. The problem is, it doesn't support any 1080p INPUTS /images/graemlins/confused.gif. It has a fantastic upscaler to make all signals 1080p, but this seems like a strange move by sony.

The picture looks like the best rear projection HDTV available right now, so it's obviously quite appealing to me. Do you think I'll be regretting it when PS3 and HD-DVD comes out?

Also, what's minimum viewing distance for 50" and 60" screens?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

my only suggestion is to post these at avs forums. you'll get much better responses. only astroglide, and a couple other people here, can really help you out.

astroglide
10-27-2005, 03:01 PM
this could be a copy/paste from another gw manual because the input boxes are probably similar, but there are misc reports of hdmi inputs that won't actually eat a 1080p signal (tested with various pc video cards using dvi-hdmi cables). pretty astounding if this is a fairly industry-wide thing, and it really doesn't make much sense since hdmi can completely handle it. the set looks beautiful, but unless sxrd is confirmed to be relatively problem-free (e.g. no image retention issues) and the set has guaranteed 1080p inputs i wouldn't run out and buy one.

FatalError
10-27-2005, 03:40 PM
buy their 3LCD 50 or 55 inch WEGA, i have the 50 and it's awesome, great speakers too for a tv. the screen is CLEAR, xbox looks great on it and it doesn't get dusty at all somehow