PDA

View Full Version : Another laptop recommendation thread

ClaytonN
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
If this is more suitable in CTH, feel free to move it over there. I don't know either way.

I'm selling my desktop for $750. I want to buy a laptop. I think the most I would be willing to spend is 1200'ish.

Mainly I'm looking for something nice looking that can get 1600x1200 rez and have access to wireless internet. Not big into games, so the vid card (or whatever) won't be a big issue.

-What's the best model/brand to fit this description?
-What's the best kinda store to get one of these at?

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Anything but Dell. aftersales is crap.

MINETZ
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
All my poker friends and I have this laptop:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i6000RS2&s=dhs
It is optimal for poker, I got the screen upgrade, wifi upgrade, and extended battery upgrade.

I dont understand why everyone always hates on dell!

bosoxfan
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I got a Dell 9300 with a bunch of upgrades and after a 30% off coupon, it was $1250. It's big but mobility wasn't a concern for me and I love it.

BoogerFace
10-25-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In most cases, they have a single bad experience. I don't understand the Dell haters either. All customer service pretty much sux by design.

Reqtech
10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In most cases, they have a single bad experience. I don't understand the Dell haters either. All customer service pretty much sux by design.

[/ QUOTE ]

customer service for consumers is an oxymoron.

That being said, I have a Dell 9300 with the upgraded screen. It makes me moist it's so good.

Popinjay
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't recommend the 1600x1200 screens unless you REALLY need it to 4 table. There are a lot of options out there. If you go Dell almost anything you will get (save the 700m) will be big and bulky. www.notebookforums.com (http://www.notebookforums.com) is a nice resource.

TheIrishThug
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a Dell 9300 with a bunch of upgrades and after a 30% off coupon, it was $1250. It's big but mobility wasn't a concern for me and I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if mobility wasn't a concern, y did u get a laptop?

slickpoppa
10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate on dell because I bought a dell laptop 2 years ago and:
a) It overheats really easily and shuts down
b) the cd/dvd drive is broken
c) the ethernet port is broken

bosoxfan
10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if mobility wasn't a concern, y did u get a laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I meant traveling with it and stuff. I got it so I wouldn't be tied to desk.

BoogerFace
10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Bummer. I had a similar experience with a Compaq laptop. It sucks.

edtost
10-25-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate on dell because I bought a dell laptop 2 years ago and:
a) It overheats really easily and shuts down
b) the cd/dvd drive is broken
c) the ethernet port is broken

[/ QUOTE ]

which is why getting completecare is like the greatest thing ever. my motherboard went wierd about 2.5 years after i bought my laptop from them; called up, a guy came to my house to fix it the next day.

Cumulonimbus
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Inspiron 9300. Nuf said.

10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got a HP dv1000 series (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=dv1000_series&catLe vel=2&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion&storeName=computer_store)

Got it at Circuit City for about $1200 in june. Best machine I've ever had. widescreen HD quality picture, built in wireless, large keyboard...

vulturesrow
10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
whatever you get, dont spend extra on the memory or hard drive crap. you can get better for cheaper at newegg.com

Blarg
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
The Sagers are the best out there. Check out:

http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section=catagory&include_type=sager

[ QUOTE ]
Sager notebooks are made by Clevo, one of the most innovative manufacturers in the world. Sager is not only Clevo's largest customer, but they also aid in much of the design process. Their systems are highly price competitive, and include many features much earlier than the competition. Sager notebooks are known for their cutting edge technology and raw processing power. These systems tend to be short on battery life, but high on speed. If you are looking for an ideal desktop replacement or mobile gaming powerhouse, Sager is the manufacturer for you!

Several high-end laptop companies sell the same systems as Sager. You can see many of the identical systems from Alienware, Hypersonic PC, Pro-star, Voodoo PC and many others. The only difference is the fact that you are now saving anywhere from $500-$1200 dollars by buying a Sager notebook from DiscountLaptops.com. If you include one our our exclusive support packages or extended warranty programs, then savings and satisfaction is even greater.

Sager is our top selling brand for a good reason. These systems are incredible. The combination of price, performance, and features provided by Sager can't be beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

The warranty is also fantastic. No more worry about dead pixels.

Hmmm, my favorite review site, www.notebookforums.com (http://www.notebookforums.com), seems to be down. It had tremendous user reviews of every variation of notebook, really in depth by people who knew what they were talking about. I hope that site hasn't died since I last checked.

Freakin
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I love my inspiron XPS2. It kicks so much ass.

schwza
10-25-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wifi upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this? is it useful?

shant
10-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Wait for Dell coupon and get a 9300 or whatever is the lastest in that series. I'm on one now. Fully satisfied with purchase.

cdxx
10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
i've used three different thinkpads since 2000. the only problems i've had was with my last one. the hard drive died once, they sent another one, that one died too. they sent the third one and said the reason was faulty firmware in the hd. the last hard drive already had the fixed version, no problems since then.

i love the mobility of the thinkpad. very durable, still speedy even though it's 2 years old. plus i don't think i could live without the trackpoint. i can't use the glide thingie.

some things i wish for, larger resolution. mine is 1024x768. the next size you can get is 1400x1050. it seems that everyone wants more. also, they are rather conservative with the cpu chips. the top speed available is behind that of dell and hp. this may or may not be a huge problem.