PDA

View Full Version : Ted Forrest

idrinkcoors
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I just got a copy of Cardplayer (Sept 28th?) and read where Ted Forrest won 12 million one year, in the 90's then was 2 million in the hole in 2003. He admits to loving craps but that 14 million turnaound was amazing to me. He says now that he limits his craps buyin to $200k, (if I'm remembering right). I really like how he handles himself at the table, and his rags to riches story of how he started proping at the Plaza for $30 a day back in 1987. He seems like a decent guy, but are these kind of swings typical for big name players?

crazy canuck
10-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't know if its true (whatever tho it's the gossip forum anyway), but there were rumours that he also lost a lot in the markets.

Dan Mezick
10-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Success in other worldly endeavors rarely translates to immediate success in trading.

[ QUOTE ]
You must learn to develop a very unnatural set of responses to events, to succeed in trading - Mark Minervini

[/ QUOTE ]

10-26-2005, 10:17 PM
With two professorial parents, I don't know how rags to riches he is, but yes, historically, poker players who really like craps don't have much money to their names.

Gary

idrinkcoors
10-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I know what you are saying Gary, but he admited to staying at some dump downtown and having to ride his bike everywhere. Plus he says he ate one meal a day at the rescue mission. Quite a difference from his year where he made $12 million. He just has a very interesting story. IMO.

10-27-2005, 05:37 AM
when i read that article about him in cardplayer, i was thinking that they may have been misleading about the 12 million he won. I was under the impression most of the play against beal was as a team, and he did most of the winning. so that 12 million may have been spread with the other players?

i could be wrong tho. maybe someone who has read that book on the big game can clarify.

it seems kind of far fetched to drop 12 mill just on craps.. i mean you have to win sometimes to right? i guess its possible but damn. he would have to not value money at all. and if thats the case then why be a gambler?

benkahuna
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when i read that article about him in cardplayer, i was thinking that they may have been misleading about the 12 million he won. I was under the impression most of the play against beal was as a team, and he did most of the winning. so that 12 million may have been spread with the other players?

i could be wrong tho. maybe someone who has read that book on the big game can clarify.

it seems kind of far fetched to drop 12 mill just on craps.. i mean you have to win sometimes to right? i guess its possible but damn. he would have to not value money at all. and if thats the case then why be a gambler?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually the case that the best poker players don't value money. Greenstein discusses this issue a bit in Ace on the River.

Even a guy like Greg Raymer, who clearly isn't Mr. Gambool, makes it pretty clear that there are higher priorities in his life, particularly his family.

Dave Mac
10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
no that doesn't count the money won for the group against beal.
forest won somehting like 2.2 mil. playing beal on his own, plus a [censored] load of money in larry flint's stud game and some other [censored]. i mean i obv. can't say for sure about his winnings. but it is rumored that phil ivery won something like 10-20 mil this yr in these same games so i mean it really is not that improbable. i mean people win 200k a yr playing 15-30 is it that imporbable that he coudl win 12 mil playing 1500-3000 to 4000-8000.
dave

bogey
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Even a guy like Greg Raymer, who clearly isn't Mr. Gambool, makes it pretty clear that there are higher priorities in his life, particularly his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your point? this really doesn't seem to make any sense in relation to the thread. Are you trying to say Greg values his family more than money and thus somehow disrespects money? wtf?

midas
10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
I think what he meant is that Greg had a day job before he turned pro and values/respects/fears the lack of money much more than your average professional/degenerate gambler.

In an ESPN interview, Phil Ivey said that if you drop $500K in a cash game one day and start to think what you could have bought with that money - you'll go nuts - it's just the job.

BTW, I would classify any pro poker player who loses big money playing craps as a degenerate gambler.

MRBAA
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Just about every big stakes player I've read about has gambled on other games. Brunson, Straus, Pearson and the Texans were famous for betting on sports and all kinds of propositions. Greenstein admits to losing over $1mm playing Chinese poker (with Ted Forrest!). Don't think you can play really high without having alot of gamble in you.

benkahuna
10-27-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your point? this really doesn't seem to make any sense in relation to the thread. Are you trying to say Greg values his family more than money and thus somehow disrespects money? wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that even though Greg Raymer isn't a degenerate gambler, he still doesn't value money that highly. I don't think you can and be a good high stakes player.

Sully
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that even though Greg Raymer isn't a degenerate gambler, he still doesn't value money that highly. I don't think you can and be a good high stakes player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have this all backward. A guy like Raymer values money VERY highly. He has worked a normal job, and knows and appreciates the value of a buck.

I think you read the post where he says his family is more IMPORTANT than money. That is a list of priority.

You are confusing value with priority.

Greg (FossilMan)
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say I'm not a good example for your point. I value money very highly. I can play 600-1200 at the Bellagio all day, win or lose a few tens of thousands, and when I'm done playing and hungry, I'll drive over to Taco Bell rather than spend $40 on dinner via room service.

When I'm at the table, I do not think about the chips as money, but as points in a game. And I do my best to win the game. Once I'm done playing, it becomes money again instantly, and I'm a pretty cheap SOB.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

cwsiggy
10-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Greg's been hanging out with Dan Harrington. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Dan takes the bus to Taco Bell.

imported_CaseClosed326
10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
You sir are a bad ass

Rick Nebiolo
10-28-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can play 600-1200 at the Bellagio all day, win or lose a few tens of thousands, and when I'm done playing and hungry, I'll drive over to Taco Bell rather than spend $40 on dinner via room service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I have some hope of becoming a champion. I can win or lose a few hundred playing 20/40, then walk to Wendy's or Jack in the Box for a couple 99 cent specials. I bring my own water.

~ Rick

Ghazban
10-28-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm at the table, I do not think about the chips as money, but as points in a game. And I do my best to win the game. Once I'm done playing, it becomes money again instantly, and I'm a pretty cheap SOB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is me exactly. I think anybody who sees the money as what it can buy during a high stakes game will be extremely stressed out by it (unless they're so rich that it still doesn't matter).

DrSavage
10-28-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and when I'm done playing and hungry, I'll drive over to Taco Bell rather than spend $40 on dinner via room service.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way! When I saw you on TV i was , like, man, this guy sure doesn't eat junk food at all!

B Dids
10-28-2005, 12:02 PM
This reminds me of when Diablo and I had a long conversation about what was in Greg's Big Gulp. My opinion as a professional fat person was either Mnt. Dew or Diet Coke/Pepsi. I believe I was wrong.

A_Junglen
10-28-2005, 01:35 PM
How badass would it be to have the 2004 World Champion pull up to the drivethru while your workin at Taco bell!

10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How badass would it be to have the 2004 World Champion pull up to the drivethru while your workin at Taco bell!

[/ QUOTE ]

not very.

MonkeeMan
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
If you haven't already, read The Professor, The Banker, And The Suicide King. Great book, and you'll see just how much gamble Ted Forrest has in him. He instantly became my gambling hero.

benkahuna
10-29-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say I'm not a good example for your point. I value money very highly. I can play 600-1200 at the Bellagio all day, win or lose a few tens of thousands, and when I'm done playing and hungry, I'll drive over to Taco Bell rather than spend $40 on dinner via room service.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I sit corrected. I probably took the list of qualities that makes a good poker players in Ace on the River a little too literally.

A follow up question to clarify here might be whether you just don't value quality food or do you just eat Taco Bell instead of room service because it's cheaper? Maybe you just like that chihuahua?

:P

Alex/Mugaaz
10-29-2005, 02:46 AM
This about sums it up for me too.

-Skeme-
10-30-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very, you still work at Taco Bell.

10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
fossilman, you're cool.

keep up the good work.

10-30-2005, 10:15 PM
what kind of golfer are you?

what's your handicap?

also, to be the chip leader during your '05 defense was unbelievably amazing.

Python49
10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
How's that ass tasting? I hope it was wiped clean before you started smooching it. Is this the part where you PM asking for money? Guess that's on the "downlow".

highlife
10-31-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of when Diablo and I had a long conversation about what was in Greg's Big Gulp. My opinion as a professional fat person was either Mnt. Dew or Diet Coke/Pepsi. I believe I was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats awesome.

Vincent Lepore
10-31-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I have some hope of becoming a champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah "prettyboy" (all one word) you actually have to enter a tournament to be a champion. I do believe that you understand that. No?

Vince

Phat Mack
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can play 600-1200 at the Bellagio all day, win or lose a few tens of thousands, and when I'm done playing and hungry, I'll drive over to Taco Bell rather than spend $40 on dinner via room service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I have some hope of becoming a champion. I can win or lose a few hundred playing 20/40, then walk to Wendy's or Jack in the Box for a couple 99 cent specials. I bring my own water.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll win or lose $20 playing 2/4 at Sam'sTown, then walk to the sports book at the Orleans for a $.75 hot dog. The really cool thing is, the Orleans poker room has a water cooler, so I don't have to carry anything.

11-01-2005, 08:08 PM
only losers in need of money think like you.

Sponger15SB
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of when Diablo and I had a long conversation about what was in Greg's Big Gulp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a freakin life!

StoneAge
11-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Damn, you walk from Sam's town to the Orleans? I ride my bike from that area (I am living about 6 blocks from Sam's Town) to the strip. Did just get my seat stolen at Sam's a couple weeks ago.

Quicksilvre
11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

Another insightful post!

pokernicus
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just about every big stakes player I've read about has gambled on other games. Brunson, Straus, Pearson and the Texans were famous for betting on sports and all kinds of propositions. Greenstein admits to losing over $1mm playing Chinese poker (with Ted Forrest!). Don't think you can play really high without having alot of gamble in you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck - many of these guys even take continuous prop bets about what's going to come on the flop (some of the recent entries on the Bellagio $2k/$4k game in Daniel Negreanu's blog talk about this at length).