PDA

View Full Version : French fries and salt.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Context takes too long.

The question is not whether you would personally choose to put salt on your french fries. The question is, is it considered weird for somebody to add salt to french fries? The question regards all kinds of french fries equally.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Someone with your avatar should be more intelligent than this.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]

is it considered weird for somebody to add salt to french fries?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

xadrez
give me salt or give me DEATH

TheMainEvent
[ QUOTE ]
Context takes too long.

The question is not whether you would personally choose to put salt on your french fries. The question is, is it considered weird for somebody to add salt to french fries? The question regards all kinds of french fries equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

It completely depends on how much salt is on them to begin with. If no salt, then it's not weird at all to add it.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the answer is self-apparent, or that I'm just being a polltard? Because I really think the answer is yes.

stabn
If you are a moron and voted yes please post your reasons why.

Dynasty
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to choose between the two.

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the answer is self-apparent, or that I'm just being a polltard? Because I really think the answer is yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
French fries might be the only thing I put salt on.

BoogerFace
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Context takes too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

It completely depends on how much salt is on them to begin with. If no salt, then it's not weird at all to add it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fast food places don't salt their fries any more. Once the fries have cooled, the salt doesn't stick.

Good luck trying.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BECAUSE THEY'RE DEEP FRIED. They always very salty to begin with. You want more flavor, there's ketchup.

How long have I been this out of sync with the rest of the world?

TheIrishThug
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
i'd say somewhere between 18 to 19 yrs

drewjustdrew
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. The one with the monkey faced plastic surgeons.

TheMainEvent
Anyone else dip their fries in mayo? mmmmmm

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing a very long time.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BECAUSE THEY'RE DEEP FRIED. They always very salty to begin with. You want more flavor, there's ketchup.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think since Loveless came out.

stabn
I did not quote this so you still have time to edit it.

CrazyEyez
[ QUOTE ]

BECAUSE THEY'RE DEEP FRIED.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that have to do with salt?

drewjustdrew
10-25-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This would be a better poll.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I'm not a canuck.

trying2learn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that I'm just being a polltard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Blarg
No, but I never do. Salt and sugar are the two instinctive favorite tastes that humans like, so most people will like them even in extremely high amounts on almost any dish and think it tastes better. Even if it basically obliterates the taste of the dish entirely. We like what we like. And that's salt and sugar.

But many foods taste fine on their own. Potatoes can be dull, especially if they're cold. Cold french fries definitely taste better salted. But hot fries, especially good steak fries, taste fine without salt. I usually try to eat less salt and less sugar in every dish to see if I can discover what it really tastes like and learn to appreciate it, instead of nuking the taste with salt or sugar. One of the main reasons salt or sugar seem wanted and needed in every dish by people is because they become habituated to it, and can't really taste food properly anymore. Drop the habit and you won't find food lacking as much anymore, as you'll learn to really taste and appreciate it as it is. Things will begin to taste better.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really have to bring Loveless into this?

istewart
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're mutually exclusive.

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but I never do. Salt and sugar are the two instinctive favorite tastes that humans like, so most people will like them even in extremely high amounts on almost any dish and think it tastes better. Even if it basically obliterates the taste of the dish entirely. We like what we like. And that's salt and sugar.

But many foods taste fine on their own. Potatoes can be dull, especially if they're cold. Cold french fries definitely taste better salted. But hot fries, especially good steak fries, taste fine without salt. I usually try to eat less salt and less sugar in every dish to see if I can discover what it really tastes like and learn to appreciate it, instead of nuking the taste with salt or sugar. One of the main reasons salt or sugar seem wanted and needed in every dish by people is because they become habituated to it, and can't really taste food properly anymore. Drop the habit and you won't find food lacking as much anymore, as you'll learn to really taste and appreciate it as it is. Things will begin to taste better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Food snob.

http://www.gastromancer.com/sitebuilder/images/Food_Snob_Scale_05-265x195.jpg

Isura
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you were just playing with us. Ha ha nice joke.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayo and ketchup together. Also creamy horseradish, yum.

CrazyEyez
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif
http://surgery-graphics.med.umich.edu/~matt/archives/images/SaltFryGuys.jpg

xadrez
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayo and ketchup together. Also creamy horseradish, yum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ketchup, Horseradish, Sriracha Hot Sauce all mixed together

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's an overreaction to my mom who always salted the bejesus out of everything before even tasting it. As some form of silent protest I choose not to salt, except for fries.
(I add salt to necessary items when cooking, just never on a finished product.)

Saddlepoint
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

Who salts deep fried things?

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. The one with the monkey faced plastic surgeons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude look up the recipe for every deep fried item ever made.

Dynasty
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put salt on anything. I don't even keep salt in the house.

Soul Daddy
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but I have. Not bad.

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it ok that I also put ketchup on barbequed things? OH NO STOP THE INSANITY!

How did you come up with this weird rule? You do know that they aren't cooking it in a giant vat of boiling salt, right?

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously stop! It's not that it's deep fried. It's that it's [censored] potato!

You can't compare putting salt on fries to onionrings/fried shrimp, or mozzarella sticks, becase most people don't salt that to begin with. Salt enhances the flavor of potatos.

That's it. Deep fried/baked/au gratin, whateverthefuck.

Soul Daddy
[ QUOTE ]
Is it ok that I also put ketchup on barbequed things?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is bad.

Saddlepoint
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, you're getting me wrong.

My question was not: does x taste good with salt. Obviously french fries need salt. The question is, once you get it, is salting it further weird?

Like, for example, if someone were to shake salt over a piece of fried chicken, that would be weird, correct?

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously stop! It's not that it's deep fried. It's that it's [censored] potato!

You can't compare putting salt on fries to onionrings/fried shrimp, or mozzarella sticks, becase most people don't salt that to begin with. Salt enhances the flavor of potatos.

That's it. Deep fried/baked/au gratin, whateverthefuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my understanding that the Deep Fried rule overrides the Potato rule, of which I was aware.

imported_The Vibesman
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I started making my own fries all the time a long time ago, and realized one day that about half the time I would simply forget to put salt on and not notice. They tasted just as good, if not better (but different). Now it depends on what kind of mood I'm in and what I'm having them with.

Putting mayo on fries is disgusting, but I think the world would be a better place without mayo in general. Just looking at the stuff makes me sick, like Undercover Brother.

CrazyEyez
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Chicken-salt-advertisement.jpg/180px-Chicken-salt-advertisement.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like, for example, if someone were to shake salt over a piece of fried chicken, that would be weird, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absofuckinglutely incorrect. Man, you're [censored] up.

CrazyEyez
[ QUOTE ]
It was my understanding that the Deep Fried rule overrides the Potato rule, of which I was aware.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's the problem - there is no Deep Fried rule.

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these rules!?

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, you're getting me wrong.

My question was not: does x taste good with salt. Obviously french fries need salt. The question is, once you get it, is salting it further weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

So now take the product (fries) and lessen / remove the amount of salt that is put on it.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absofuckinglutely incorrect. Man, you're [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay seriously WTF.

samjjones
Salt + Grease = Tastes Good

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's the problem - there is no Deep Fried rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. This rule is just preposterous.

TheIrishThug
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting mayo on fries is disgusting, but I think the world would be a better place without mayo in general. Just looking at the stuff makes me sick, like Undercover Brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU! when did every resturant decided that mayo goes with hamburgers. i personally would be fine with never having mayo again. i'm not gonna be ignorant and say u can;t put it on a deli sandwich or something like that. But there should not be mayo on a hamburger, it just doesn't go.

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absofuckinglutely incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoah whoah. I wouldn't call it weird...but I bet very few people do this. So it's definitely abnormal.

Then again, I haven't had fried chicken or seen anyone eat fried chicken in 5+ years so take what I say with a grain of salt.
<font color="white">
bahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahah holy crap I'm [censored] funny. </font>

Blarg
10-25-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Food snob.

http://www.gastromancer.com/sitebuilder/images/Food_Snob_Scale_05-265x195.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Dummy.

Making food simpler is not snobbery. I'd say it's being a snob to think everything tastes better before you even taste it.

bosoxfan
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
When I go to someplace like McDonalds, I dump the fries in the bag and pour a salt packet in with them and shake.

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But there should not be mayo on a hamburger, it just doesn't go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate good tasting stuff?

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The kids these days matty...They never learn. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

xadrez
10-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I always put salt on fried chicken.

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
Salt + Grease = Tastes Good

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to think of other foods I enjoy putting salt on, the only other I can think of are eggs. Then this popped in my mind.

Deep fried Eggs? What if I made an omelette with cheese/breaded it and deep fried it? Does this exist? Doesn't it sound [censored] tasty? And if it did exist, would I put salt on it?

The answer to all of these are most likely yes. (I'm too excited to post this before I consult with google.)

Saddlepoint
[ QUOTE ]
When I go to someplace like McDonalds, I dump the fries in the bag and pour a salt packet in with them and shake.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, there's not enough salt on them as it is?

I cannot possibly be the only person who thinks that salting something like potato pancakes or fried chicken is completely redundant and strange.

Soul Daddy
10-25-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot possibly be the only person who thinks that salting something like potato pancakes or fried chicken is completely redundant and strange.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should read this thread again because you obviously are.

Soul Daddy
10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Deep fried Eggs? What if I made an omelette with cheese/breaded it and deep fried it? Does this exist? Doesn't it sound [censored] tasty? And if it did exist, would I put salt on it?

The answer to all of these are most likely yes. (I'm too excited to post this before I consult with google.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely if there are deep fried twinkies, Snickers and every other food imagineable, someone has thought of this before. But I admit to being intrigued.

xadrez
10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Ive had an appetizer that was basically like a hard boiled egg that was cut in half and deep fried. The yolk was prepared kind of like a deviled egg with some sort of bacon or something mixed in. It was g00t

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely if there are deep fried twinkies, Snickers and every other food imagineable, someone has thought of this before. But I admit to being intrigued.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm worried because it sounds so good, like, I should be able to go a diner and when they ask me how I liked my eggs I should be able to say "deep fried w/cheddar"; there must be a reason...

Soul Daddy
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive had an appetizer that was basically like a hard boiled egg that was cut in half and deep fried. The yolk was prepared kind of like a deviled egg with some sort of bacon or something mixed in. It was g00t

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sold.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason most recipe's say salt to taste. In this case the finished product either does not have salt or is not salted to taste.

Saddlepoint
A gem from istewart over AIM I feel the need to quote:

"I have salt on my salads and pizza. Metagame reasons."

Soul Daddy
10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm worried because it sounds so good, like, I should be able to go a diner and when they ask me how I liked my eggs I should be able to say "deep fried w/cheddar"; there must be a reason...

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone should definitely attempt this.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this sounds good, putting salt on the final product would violate both the Deep Fried rule and the Melted Cheese rule.

[censored]
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also vote polltard

Cancer Merchant
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/scotch3.jpg

Mmm, scotch eggs. The Scots sure know how to deep fry.

Scotch Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.

Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also vote polltard

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it make a difference if this was a big subject of disagreement that I genuinely felt the need to get feedback on, as opposed to just poll for the sake of poll?

drewjustdrew
10-25-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just trying to think of other foods I enjoy putting salt on

[/ QUOTE ]

Beef and beef dishes
Chicken and chicken dishes(non-fried, but sometimes fried)
Apples, especially granny smith
Popcorn
Vegetables
Green Beans
Soups, except tomato
Tomatoes

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/scotch3.jpg

Mmm, scotch eggs. The Scots sure know how to deep fry.

Scotch Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.

Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't cook.
I don't know how to cook.
I don't have the utensils to cook.

But God damnit if I can figure out how to make these with some cheese (swiss preferrably) I will cook this.

Jules22
10-25-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Saddlepoint
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just trying to think of other foods I enjoy putting salt on

[/ QUOTE ]

Beef and beef dishes
Chicken and chicken dishes(non-fried, but sometimes fried)
Apples, especially granny smith
Popcorn
Vegetables
Green Beans
Soups, except tomato
Tomatoes

[/ QUOTE ]

The apples are a little weird, but otherwise I take no issue with your list.

stabn
Nice find.

stabn
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this sounds good, putting salt on the final product would violate both the Deep Fried rule and the Melted Cheese rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/24108_lg.jpg

Cancer Merchant
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
You just need some motivation to pick up this very useful skill. Wrapping the eggs in shredded cheese before covering with the sausage is probably the way to go. Think chicken cordon bleu. Get a deep pot or wok for the oil and you're set.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayo on a hamburger is like ketchup on pastrami.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your fried chicken or potato pancakes need salt, you're a lousy cook.

Most probably, too, your taste buds have been dulled by using salt too regularly. Food actually tastes good, if you let it.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Usually cooking eggs that long makes the yolk loose most of its flavor, and even start to taste like sulfur. Maybe the chilled part helps a bit.

[censored]
10-25-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also vote polltard

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it make a difference if this was a big subject of disagreement that I genuinely felt the need to get feedback on, as opposed to just poll for the sake of poll?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you should have instead chosen to make a post explaining the context of the situation and asked for opinions. Instead you took the simplistic poll approach using a question which the results would be extremely obvious. thus polltard is accurate.

fear not OOters combined with some additional tarding it up on your part bailed you out and made for a fairly interesting thread. you're certainly playing with fire though.

Shajen
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://rantburg.com/images/jawdrop.jpg

samjjones
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your fried chicken or potato pancakes need salt, you're a lousy cook.

Most probably, too, your taste buds have been dulled by using salt too regularly. Food actually tastes good, if you let it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about you, but I season the shredded potatoes with salt and pepper before frying. Same with the flour before breading the chicken. Plain potatoes/flour do not taste like anything. They need seasoning.

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg. You have a lot to learn. It's not quite the may on the "burger"; its the mayonaise mixed with the shredded lettuce and onions and what not. Sitting right there at the top of a freshly toasted bun; with JUST the right amount of ketchup--it makes a perfect little seal between the bun and the first (of hopefully two) slices of cheese.

Great, now I'm starving...

and I think a little erect.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also vote polltard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you should have instead chosen to make a post explaining the context of the situation and asked for opinions. Instead you took the simplistic poll approach using a question which the results would be extremely obvious. thus polltard is accurate.

fear not OOters combined with some additional tarding it up on your part bailed you out and made for a fairly interesting thread. you're certainly playing with fire though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fwiw, if I'd thought the results of the poll were going to be this one-sided, I wouldn't have bothered making the poll in the first place.

I find that there are few situations which can't be resolved by additional tarding up.

Aloysius
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://rantburg.com/images/jawdrop.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg - I was such a big fan... now this! Meh!

I didn't realize there were people who dislike mayo so much.... it makes me angry /images/graemlins/mad.gif

TheIrishThug
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Great, now I'm starving...

and I think a little erect.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, this thread has officially gotten weird.

Eurotrash
10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
eh, I voted no it's not weird. that being said, I don't usually add much salt to french fries or any other food for that matter.

arod15
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
A lot yes but sometimes they taste real bad....

imported_anacardo
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd offer a snappy quote here, but all I've got are druggy whale noises.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Un. Called. For.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd offer a snappy quote here, but all I've got are druggy whale noises.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very nice. I like this album, but this was pretty funny.

bobbyi
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting mayo on fries is disgusting, but I think the world would be a better place without mayo in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice to you is to never move to England.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 05:38 PM
A "seal" on the hamburger? LOL. Figuring out how to hold a hamburger is something I mastered as a kid.

Mayo is too heavy and greasy. You've already got the burger for that. Mayo contributes nothing good flavor wise and adds extra slop and heaviness.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
There are other seasonings besides salt.

Again, if you can't make chicken that tastes good without salt, you're not a good cook.

And again, consider that your taste buds get habituated to salt. The more salt I eat, the more I want. The less salt I eat, the more I appreciate the salt that I do use, and the less I find food really needs it.

It's hard to picture that when you're habituated to always having that taste. You start to think that nothing tastes good without salt, and maybe even without a little more salt, to boot. You're right, for you, because you're interepreting every taste right away, without really tasting it, as something lacking the flavor you've gotten used to blanketing everything with. That's fine if that's the way you want things.

Cut back, and you'll find that you can taste other flavors better.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Mayo is fine. But it's overkill on a burger for richness and greasiness, but adds little flavor. Just glop.

I'll keep my mayo to the turkey sandwiches, tuna and egg salad, etc. I don't dislike mayo. Just don't think that piling everything on is the answer to all food questions.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, 10:1 margin, so I acknowledge defeat. I'm reevaluating the Deep Fried rule.

But on the plus side, this would be my first thread to ever get a flame. This is the 99th response I think.

Watch [censored] lock it now.

CrazyEyez
10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm reevaluating the Deep Fried rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep using that term. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://www.sworddragon.com/passions/images/montoya2.jpg

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 05:55 PM
I made it up. It means what I think it means. Nh on the PB quote.

phage
10-25-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll keep my mayo to the turkey sandwiches, tuna and egg salad, etc. I don't dislike mayo. Just don't think that piling everything on is the answer to all food questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose it comes down to a matter of personal preference...With that said, I think that tuna/egg salad are both horribly gooey messes. Good mayo (esp homemade) on a burger can do wonders for the mixture of tastes!

TheMainEvent
10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Well if this thread can take off and get 100 responses, there's hope for anyone.

Benal
10-25-2005, 06:17 PM
I prefer cheese and gravy with my fries.

Saddlepoint
10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Good point. I guess making 45 of them myself can't hurt.

phage
10-25-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A good poutine is hard to beat...However, my wife claims that you can't get a good poutine outside of Quebec City

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A "seal" on the hamburger? LOL. Figuring out how to hold a hamburger is something I mastered as a kid.

Mayo is too heavy and greasy. You've already got the burger for that. Mayo contributes nothing good flavor wise and adds extra slop and heaviness.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably don't even shred the lettuce. Hopeless.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Shred the lettuce? Where do you eat, fast food joints?

Shajen
10-25-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably don't even shred the lettuce. Hopeless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm disappointed in Blarg on this one... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
You have been corrupted by the menace of fastfood shitburgers.

Shajen
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have been corrupted by the menace of fastfood shitburgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

but...but...but...they're so good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ok, not really, but they are quick and easy.

evil_twin
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
It's nearly midnight and this thread has made me really hungry. Damn. I'm so tempted to make some chips. Sorry, I mean french fries. Or is that freedom fries?

Whatever, I'll be having them with salt and mayo. So there.

colgin
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Deep fried Eggs? What if I made an omelette with cheese/breaded it and deep fried it? Does this exist? Doesn't it sound [censored] tasty?

[/ QUOTE ]

OF course it would be tasty. It's not all that different from a toasted egg/bacon/cheese croissant sandwich IMO.

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
OK, somehow nobody has seemed to point out the basic point which you missed.

People put salt on things to make them salty. Once a desired level of saltiness has been achieved, no more salt is required.

Deep-frying has nothing to do with salt. For french fries, potatoes are sliced and fried in oil. Then, sometimes salt is applied to them. If none or not enough salt is applied before serving, you put more salt on (and often pepper, in my case) to taste.

Many deep fried things have salt in the batter or the product has been marinated in a salty marinade prior to frying. This is often the case with fried chicken, chicken-fried steak, etc. It is the addition of salt in the cooking process, not the frying, that makes them salty.

Hopefully you now understand how deep-frying has nothing to do with saltiness.

10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BECAUSE THEY'RE DEEP FRIED. They always very salty to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to spend a night (maybe two) at a Holiday Inn Express.

samjjones
10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is correct. But I will still put salt on the fries even with gravy/cheese on it if it needs it.

DonBaker
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
hummmmmmmm poutine! and yes i put salt on it!

IndieMatty
10-26-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably like ground sirloin, rather than beef too.

ChipWrecked
10-26-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why they can deep-fry a Twinkie at the fair.

imported_The Vibesman
10-26-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ground sirloin rules, mayo-lover. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

MrTrik
10-26-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. or Snickers/Milky Way/3 Musketeers. Salt would ruin the whole deal.

IndieMatty
10-26-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ground sirloin rules, mayo-lover. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You're obviously food retarded. Ground sirloin burgers suck in comparison to good ol' ground beef.

imported_The Vibesman
10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok. You're obviously food retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from someone who puts mayo on their burgers, I take this as a compliment. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IndieMatty
10-26-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok. You're obviously food retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from someone who puts mayo on their burgers, I take this as a compliment. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When you make a burger that people like as much as a Whopper, or any Wendys Burger I might consider your opinion valid.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My gut instinct upon reading the oringal post was #70. Now that you've posted essentially the EXACT same thing at least 5 times in this thread and added zero new content to it, I see that my initial reaction was correct.

drewjustdrew
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. or Snickers/Milky Way/3 Musketeers. Salt would ruin the whole deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocolate is good if it is a little salty. Like chocolate covered peanuts or a chocolate dipped pretzel from Uncle Sam's or Auntie Anne's.

Chocolate chip cookies have salt in them and would not be the same without it.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends where you're getting your fries. McD's is pretty good about getting enough salt on their fries. I rarely have to add more.

Other places are sometimes remiss, or purposely leave off the salt. These fries must be salted.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize there were people who dislike mayo so much.... it makes me angry

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] hate mayo.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

Not to mention soggy. Mayo makes things soggy. [censored], I think I'm gonna puke.

Shajen
10-26-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

Not to mention soggy. Mayo makes things soggy. [censored], I think I'm gonna puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things:

1) you changed your avatar. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

2) wtf are you guys doing with the mayo? Mayo, if applied properly, in a thin coating, does not make a burger soggy. It makes it tasty.

What I do is mix ketchup, mustard, and mayo all together then coat the burger bun lightly. Add some jalapenos or tabasco and you're set. YUM. I think I'll get a burger for lunch today, no need to hold the mayo. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

elwoodblues
10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Context takes too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without context, you sound like a moron. What I don't get is you suggest that you like fries salty (because, you think deep frying them makes them salty) but you think it's weird then to adjust the saltiness to meet personal preferences? That's odd.

I like salty fries. Often salt doesn't stick to the fries good enough. Solution: salt the ketchup.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
1) I will be rotating pics of the lovely M. Theuriau for a while.

2) I've just always hated mayo. In my strange opinion, the only things that belong on a burger are cheese (be it cheddar, bleu or american), bacon, and occasionally carmelized onions.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like salty fries. Often salt doesn't stick to the fries good enough. Solution: salt the ketchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is f'in genius.

Shajen
10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) I've just always hated mayo. In my strange opinion, the only things that belong on a burger are cheese (be it cheddar, bleu or american), bacon, and occasionally carmelized onions.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) She's fine.

2) bleu cheese on a burger is sacrilege in my opinion, but to each their own, I guess. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

samjjones
10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) bleu cheese on a burger is sacrilege in my opinion, but to each their own, I guess. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, there are few things better in life than a medium-rare burger with a black peppercorn crust, bleu cheese, and two bacon slices. Okay, there is...four bacon slices.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) She's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue cheese burgers are f'in delicious. What next? You don't like blue cheese potato chips?

Shajen
10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) She's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue cheese burgers are f'in delicious. What next? You don't like blue cheese potato chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

bleu cheese is an abomination before God. I prefer my cheese not taste like what I imagine dirty sweaty gym socks taste like.

But as I said, that's just me. Call it delicious if feel you must, call me a freak, whatever, I don't like the stuff.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:59 PM
You are in ATL right? Go to Buckhead Diner and have the potato chips w/ blue cheese. If you do not like them, I will reimburse you for them and a sandwich or something IndieMattie style (via PokerStars transfer).

Shajen
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are in ATL right? Go to Buckhead Diner and have the potato chips w/ blue cheese. If you do not like them, I will reimburse you for them and a sandwich or something IndieMattie style (via PokerStars transfer).

[/ QUOTE ]

deal. I'll do this for friday's lunch.

(and no need to pay for it if I don't like it. I'm a big boy)