PDA

View Full Version : Blue/White/Red: the movies

RunDownHouse
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I saw these titles come up in the recent DVD thread. I've never heard of them, so I looked them up and read some brief plot summaries online. They sound interesting, but I was wondering if any of you OOTiots could give me a bit deeper of a review. I don't want to invest this $11 in three movies I'll end up hating. Alternatively, suggest some other really good foreign flicks.

FWIW I don't often watch foreign films, but I've loved the ones I have seen, such as Goodbye Lenin and - of course - City of God.

pryor15
10-25-2005, 03:02 PM
they're worth much more than $11

Kieslowski is maybe one of the most underrated directors of all-time. each of the films has a different feel to them so it's hard to summarize.

FWIW, QT was quoted as saying that he thought "Red" should have won the Palm d'Or at cannes the year Pulp Fiction won.

Colonel Kataffy
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I highly recomend them. Not as good as PF though.

SL__72
10-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah they are really good. (IMO)

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I am about to que up one of these on netflix which one should I get?

SL__72
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they are meant to be viewed Blue->White->Red.

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks.

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Are there other movies from Kieslowski that are worth seeing?

SL__72
10-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Foriegn films I have rated as 5 stars on Netflix:
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
City of God
The Barbarian Invasions
Cinema Paradiso: Director's Cut
Amelie
A Very Long Engagement
Das Boot
Life is Beautiful

4 Stars
Crouching Tiger
Red/White/Blue
Bon Voyage
The Widow of St. Pierre
Open Your Eyes
Come and See
Oldboy
Breathless
Run Lola Run
Monsieur Ibrahim
Downfall
Masculin Feminin

My Netflix ratings generally tend to be on the Generous side though...

Oh... and if anyone sees something I should definately see thats not on the above list... let me know.

DrSavage
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh... and if anyone sees something I should definately see thats not on the above list... let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Das Experiment (http://imdb.com/title/tt0250258/)

RunDownHouse
10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason Goodbye Lenin always seems to get missed by people that have otherwise solid selections of foreign films. Its a really excellent movie, and won numerous awards at the Berlin International Film Festival, European Film Awards, German Film Awards, and many more.

IMDb link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/)

10-25-2005, 03:29 PM
If you havent watched Fellini youre missing out bigtime. Brilliant director. I'm also a pretty big Godard fan, and on a completely different note Argento is the man.

SL__72
10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah this movie has been on my Netflix queue forever, I just haven't gotten around to watching it.

Das Experiment is on my queue... but down near the bottom (#340 something) I'll have to move it up if I ever wanna see it.

mslif
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Best money you'll ever spend. Red is the best IMO. Juliette Binoche is one of favorite actress. In Three Colors, everything leads to, or away from, human connection.

flatline
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seven Samaurai of course. I imagine you've already seen this, though, and just didn't rate it.

I really dug Brotherhood of the Wolf, really unique french action movie.

Also, Amores Perros(sp?), awesome movie by the director of 21 Grams.

mslif
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seven Samaurai of course. I imagine you've already seen this, though, and just didn't rate it.

I really dug Brotherhood of the Wolf, really unique french action movie.

Also, Amores Perros(sp?), awesome movie by the director of 21 Grams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brotherhood of the wolf was an awesome movie. Monica Belluci is just amazing...

SL__72
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I've seen both Seven Samaurai and Brotherhood of the Wolf. Both are great films. I just recently moved Amores Perros into the top-10 of my queue, but I didn't know it was the same director as 21 Grams so... moving it up to #3.

Oh and to the person who suggested Fellini, which should I watch? I've seen Amacord and wasn't particularily impressed (not bad, just not great).

As for other Kieslowski movies, The Decalogue is supposed to be very good... Its like 10 1-hour films, one for each commandment. Haven't begun watching them yet but 1-3 (disc 1) is #2 on my list.

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Virgin Spring
Seventh Seal
Rashomon
La Haine
Man Bites Dog
Betty Blue
Tin Drum
Violent Cop
Kung Fu Hustle
Chinese Ghost Story
The Killer
Hard Boiled

private joker
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Red is the best IMO. Juliette Binoche is one of favorite actress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Juliette Binoche is in "Blue." It's Irene Jacob in "Red."

And "Blue" is by far the best -- if you only have time to watch one, watch Binoche's. It's amazing.

RunDownHouse
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Well, I've been convinced. All three are on their way. Nine movies for $35 isn't bad, thanks again to whomever linked that deal from slickdeals.

SL__72
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
A few of those aren't on netflix :/
La Haine not at all
The Killer not on DVD yet but I have it saved...
Liked Kung Fu Hustle

Which Ingmar Bergman movie would be the best to start with?

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Juliette Binoche is ethereally beautiful, it must be said.

http://www.thespiannet.com/actresses/B/binoche_juliette/jb.jpg

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm not a Bergman expert, but I've never seen one I didn't like. Virgin Spring maybe?

And buy La Haine - it's a keeper. Vincent Cassel is monstrously good (as in all his films).

mslif
10-25-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Red is the best IMO. Juliette Binoche is one of favorite actress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Juliette Binoche is in "Blue." It's Irene Jacob in "Red."

And "Blue" is by far the best -- if you only have time to watch one, watch Binoche's. It's amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that Red is my favorite and on a different note, Juliette Binoche is one of my favorite actress. I was not implying that Binoche was in Red.
Binoche's work in Blue is phenomenal.The story of Blue is told almost entirely in her face and gestures.

judgesmails
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Maria Full of Grace

It is on HBO right now. Columbian movie about a girl who smuggles drugs to the US. It is a very well acted movie. I think the lead actress won some awards.

pryor15
10-25-2005, 04:28 PM
the Decalogue is generally considered one of the more impressive achievements in film history.

Dominic
10-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Kieslowski, in my mind, was the greatest filmmaker over the last 30 years. The Trois Coleurs trilogy is his masterpiece.

Also, take a look at The Decalogue and The Double Life of Veronique.

I can't imagine anyone not loving these films, unless all you expect from a movie is stuff that "blowed-up real good."

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm convinced. I'm ordering all of em.

Hallett
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I love all three of these movies, particularly Blue and Red. White is good, but it is in the shadow of the other two. Having said that, it is a must see as well, as certain incidents in Blue and Red make more sense if you have seen White. Red must be seen last. Irene Jacob is a very good actress, and an amazingly beautiful woman. I fell totally and completely in love with her when I saw Red.

SL__72
10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Good one. Seen it, I guess the list I posted is pretty much no where near all of the foriegn movies I've seen.

Has anyone seen:
A Short Film About Killing
A Short Film About Love
No End
Blind Chance
?

DrSavage
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Brotherhood of the wolf was an awesome movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me.

diebitter
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Any movie that fades from a breast to a mountain is awesome, in my book.

RunDownHouse
10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine anyone not loving these films, unless all you expect from a movie is stuff that "blowed-up real good."

[/ QUOTE ]
You're inferring a bit too much from my loc.

pryor15
10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
for my money, Bergman's "Scenes From a Marriage" is one of the all-time greats. Plus, it has the bonus of being responsible for the increase in Sweeden's divorce rate.

pryor15
10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen:
A Short Film About Love
No End
Blind Chance
?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the new box set coming via the mail. i'll post a review when i get a chance.

Dominic
10-25-2005, 07:03 PM
i've seen them all...all are worth watching...most are great.

rmarotti
10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good one. Seen it, I guess the list I posted is pretty much no where near all of the foriegn movies I've seen.

Has anyone seen:
A Short Film About Love
No End
Blind Chance
?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind Chance is great. Tykver borrows heavily from it for "Run Lola Run"

RRRRICK
10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
They are all worth watching, each is very different as they explore many human emotions. I tend to think European films do this best.

I enjoyed White the most

hobbsmann
10-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I have nothing of value to add to this thread except after reading reviews about these movies I realized by advisor's sister is the lead actress in Red (and she is hot too /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).