PDA

View Full Version : (LC) Tight early-shortstacked later dilemma

10-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Noob Alert.

I've just started playing the turbo's at stars and am pretty new to poker as well.

I have some understanding of general STT principles, tight early, pushbotting etc.
The main problem I'm finding is the proverbial if I don't get any cards early on, I'm generally getting into the last 5/6 short stacked and looking ripe for the picking.

How do you all navigate this hurdle ?

How much of a chance do you take early on to get a stack ?
example: 9 players 10/20 blinds you complete after 4 others in the SB with KJo, BB raps.
flop comes rainbow Jxx . You check (?)
what do you do facing an over sized bet ? (I fold most likely)
Is this too weak tight ?

I also tend to avoid playing draws (unless I can draw cheaply) and totally avoid small/mid connectors etc at 50/100+ blinds is this wise ?
Should I be playing them more aggressively ?

And also does anyone know where the line between aggression and donkhood lies. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Often I find I'm folding to asinine all ins early on and end up being terrorised by same later on with their big stacks.

PS would welcome any help/exchanging, HH's, advice etc.

Thanks /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cassidy
10-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Exact same problem I have.

If I am fortunate I'll pick up a good hand levels 1-4 that holds up and lets me win some chips, usually enough to see me through to level 5/6 comfortably.

Sometimes I'll pick up a half-decent starting hand in position, get to see a cheap flop that I hit and again I'll manage to pick up some chips.

Far more often none of the above happens and by level 5 I'm basically all-in preflop looking to double through. Lose the first all-in that is called and I'm all out, game over.

I only play a few games a night (4 or 5) but it is not uncommon for me to lose all of them in precisely the same way; i.e. shortstacked at level 5, all-in, called, lose showdown, rinse and repeat. On the plus side when I do get some chips I am usually able to convert to an ITM place.

I'm trying to work on my level 1-4 play to try and lessen the level 5 all-in desperation. I'd be willing to exchange HHs with you to get an objective opinion on my game.

10-25-2005, 03:12 PM
You have a 11.1% chance of getting AA-22, AK-AJ, KQ.

That's about 1 in 10 hands that are playable, not including suited connectors.

Play one hand a level.

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much of a chance do you take early on to get a stack ?
example: 9 players 10/20 blinds you complete after 4 others in the SB with KJo, BB raps.
flop comes rainbow Jxx . You check (?)
what do you do facing an over sized bet ? (I fold most likely)
Is this too weak tight ?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 2c, fresh from cash games and relearning STTs, is that lots of players seem to underappreciate the power of position. In the example you give above, if you just complete, you're going to have to act first with 5 others behind you. YUCK. In a cash game I don't even complete the blind here.

But if I DO complete, and then hit TPGK on the flop, I'm coming out with guns blazing, recognizing that since I am OOP, I may have no choice but to play this hand for my whole stack -- because if I don't someone behind me will steal the pot. So I would bet full pot on the flop at least, and only consider folding to a raise from one of the early opponents. If your bet is light, even spec drawing hands will call, figuring a lot of callers will make their odds right. So you have to hit it hard. If there's anyone left on the turn, the rest is probably going in.

Position, position, position.

Hendricks433
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Have you read Shadows Post? Sounds like you need to improve your end game. You also dont want to bust early or bleed too many chips trying to get a stack because then it hurts your chances at the end. Low Buy in SNG's are all about stealing.

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
1. I haven't read Shadow's post, could you point me to it?
2. I'm sure my endgame could use improvement, as I've been playing cash games and am out of practice w/ SNGs. But this scenario isn't really about endgame, is it? This is 6 to the flop at 10/20 blinds.
3. D'Accord on busting and bleeding, that's why I don't complete in this scenario, and why I care so much about position. However IF I were to complete, then flop TPGK, I'm going for the pot because (1) chances are excellent I have the best hand, and (2) someone else will steal otherwise.

Hendricks433
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Well I was talking to OP mostly. I also agree on the betting with TPGK. heres the link Click This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=8#Post3644560)

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I was talking to OP mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! /images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks for the link.

Hendricks433
10-25-2005, 04:37 PM
no its alright