PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Soccer Futures

beset7
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
USA to win at +6600 /images/graemlins/grin.gif (1/2 unit).

(my stupid bet of the year)

tolga
10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while all sports are unpredictable, I think soccer takes the cake. the US now has the talent to match up to anybody (not to BEAT anybody), so consider this a lottery and you've got a couple tickets.

this isn't as stupid of a bet as it may seem...

At least it isn't any more stupid than any other long shot futures bet. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

just remember, if it wasn't for Oliver Kahn playing out of his mind and single handedly beating the US in 2002, they would have had a crack at the final.

10-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I am sorry but there are SEVERAL teams that are better than the US and that can beat them.

tolga
10-25-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry but there are SEVERAL teams that are better than the US and that can beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, but did you even read my post?

there are probably 50 teams in the world that can beat the US. And at least 10 that are flat out better. My point was that any team with a good talent base (US) can take a comptetive shot at the World Cup.

Do you remember that TURKEY AND SOUTH KOREA finished 3,4 in the finals last time around? As a Turk, and a mental mental soccer fan, I still can't delude myself and tell you that Turkey was the 3rd best team in the world cup. But that's what the final table said....

bb88
10-25-2005, 03:31 PM
<font color="green"> I don't normally take stabs in the Sports Betting forum, but the odds of the United States winning are much better than being layed I'd think. We certainly aren't the best, but we will be able to give most teams a decent run. With a couple lucky bounces, it's not unthinkable that we could win. </font>

tolga
10-25-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green"> I don't normally take stabs in the Sports Betting forum, but the odds of the United States winning are much better than being layed I'd think. We certainly aren't the best, but we will be able to give most teams a decent run. With a couple lucky bounces, it's not unthinkable that we could win. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

well put.

marbleman
10-25-2005, 05:10 PM
that seems like a really good line to grab them at.
they are ranked 7th in the world right now.

20Five
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that seems like a really good line to grab them at.
they are ranked 7th in the world right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liken the FIFA world rankins similiar to those of NCAA football, where there is a huge parity amongst the first 3 4 or 5 teams in strength, but the further you get from the top the quicker the parity shrinks between teams.

Will the US Mens Nationals win the world cup? No... is this the worst bet you can make? Definetly not.

GL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps. beasley rules

10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Soth Korea had a great coach also with World Cup experience. Turkey, yea that was amazing. And sure it is tounament soccer so surprising things can happen, but wouldn't it be better to altleast see what the groups look like? I mean, put Brazil and Holland in there, or Germany and Italy or possibly a good African squad and Somebody like Argentina, and their chances won't hold up long.
It would be a BIG upset and surprise anyway.

CieloAzor
10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I was looking at the World Cup futures a week or two ago and noticed the U.S. were getting fairly juicy odds just to make the Round of 16. I was about to bet it...and then I realized how long my money would be tied up.

If I can find odds like this later on, I'll probably be on it.

lorinda
10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm already on at +14000.

USA are ranked top eight in the world and have every shot at being the seeded team.

Lori

beset7
10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm already on at +14000.

USA are ranked top eight in the world and have every shot at being the seeded team.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Where (when) did you find this line?

Yeah, its a longshot but it probably has more value then most international soccer fans would care to admit.

lorinda
10-25-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm fortunate enough to be able to bet on Betfair. I took it a few weeks ago.

Longshots + Betting exchanges == huge lines.

Lori

beset7
10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Lucky brits!

10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
The FIFA rankings are a load of rubbish that unduely promote teams that play a lot of games and teams that play a lot of qualifiers in the weak CONCACAF group. The US are not one of the best teams in the world (perhaps between 15th and 20th at a wild guess).

That said, +6600 or better is a decent price for a small bet. As Greece showed in Euro 2004 anything can happen in a small tournament.

lorinda
10-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Despite them being rubbish, I believe they have not yet announced the method for the seeding.

I suspect FIFA won't undermine their own rankings system by not using them to seed the groups.

It is however only a guess.

Lori

10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Don't know what they did last timee, but during the 1990s FIFA used performance in the last three world cup finals (with greater weighting to the more recent) as the basis for their seeding system.

If they did this the US would score well for their 2002 performance but less well for 1998 when they lost all their games. It would probably put them in the second band of teams for the draw.

You'd think they'd have mannaged to work out what they were doing by now!

Wyrm2
10-26-2005, 07:36 PM
The seeding is probably going to stay the same as last time and that would put the USA 10th (so not seeded...) Here's the link
link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4356050.stm)

NajdorfDefense
10-26-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily find that bet at +12500 or better. One unit.
US was one Oliver Kahn miss away from an excellent shot at Brazil in the finals.
Brazil was down 1-0 to Turkey in the opening rounds. France lost to Senegal. USA beat Portugal. Upsets happen.

Naj

11-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Will S. Korea reach the round of 16?

Yes +362.

After World Cup 2002, the soccer has become insanely popular in Korea. Some 30,000 South Koreans are expected to fly to Germany to watch them in a stadium. What they lack in skills and talents, the Koreans are going to make up in efforts.

I know people say S. Korean's placing top 4 in 2002 was a fluke. But I think it could be more than that, i.e. greasing the officials. This may happen again next year, who knows. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif