PDA

View Full Version : Maniac situation I don't like...

sourbeaver
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Important info:

SB is a nut that had one too many drinks and has been pushing preflop for the last 15 hands. The hand right before this one, UTG limped, maniac pushed, and he called with AA. The maniac won the hand with J2o. UTG is a little pissed.

Given the situation, what do you do in my spot ? Is JJ strong enough for you to try and isolate ? Would anyone attempt a flat-call/push underflop ? Fold ?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB ($12.74)
BB ($40.73)
UTG ($61.43)
MP ($142.95)
CO ($26.80)
Hero ($48.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, SB (poster) pushes$12.49 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $12.24, Hero pushes $47.75 (All-In), UTG calls $35.51.

Flop: ($109.74) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: ($109.74) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Kyriefurro
10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
When I first looked at this I didn't like it. UTG's call could be problematic.

But then I got to thinking....UTG may be on tilt, and even if he's not he cold-called. He'd likely have tried to isolate on his own if he had a big PP - even something as low as TT. But he didn't isolate, he just called. I'm putting him on a mid-sized PP or some largish (not necessarily connected or suited) broadway cards.

I think your isolation bet was a good play, although you probably just lost to an Ace.

10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I would have played it the same. You probably got sucked out on. Reload and try again.

Ojo_Rojo
10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I think you played it fine.

Given the way UTG smooth-called maniacs' push, and considering the last hand, chances are youre ahead or coinflip with UTG. You also have maniacs' money as an (likely) overlay.

Ojo_Rojo

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I like the way you played it. If you had flat called preflop, all the money would have gone in on the flop anyway, right? But it would have been UTG pushing and you making the decision.

The fact that UTG just called SB's all-in, and didn't push to isolate, makes me think your better chance to push him out was preflop.

rikz
10-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Your play looks good to me. FWIW, I hate playing with maniacs, though, because I don't like the variance. It's like getting into a knife fight with a short guy carrying a smaller knife. Sure, you have an advantage, but you're probably going to get cut up quite a bit before you kill him.

fuzzbox
10-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Well played.

colehard
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Seems strange that he would be tilting after losing only $6 even it it was with AA.

Kyriefurro
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Uh...where's the $6 coming from?

Mostly, I was considering the possibility of tilt based on OP's description. And that was only a possibility, and only one of the things I was considering as I tried to estimate what hands UTG would cold-call an all-in bet with.

DWarrior
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Is that necessarily true?

UTG limped, then just called the maniac's AI. It's quite possible that he was trapping, and maybe he just didn't think of isolating. Remember, he's upset over the last hand, though I doubt the $6 loss put him on ultratilt. Most likely, it put him to the point where he just forgot about isolating.

I'd probably just call and see what he does, because big pairs or high cards are possible and I don't think he'd fold AQ to your push. His hand range would most likely be AA-TT, AJ+, JJ/AJ are less likely, but possible.

Seeing that board, I'm assuming you lost the pot to SB's T2s.

DWarrior
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh...where's the $6 coming from?

Mostly, I was considering the possibility of tilt based on OP's description. And that was only a possibility, and only one of the things I was considering as I tried to estimate what hands UTG would cold-call an all-in bet with.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB, the lag that went AI last hand and cracked AA is at 12.xx, so most likely he won a $15 pot, so UTG lost $6-$8 on that hand (looks like $6, but don't forget the rake)