PDA

View Full Version : When do you change your initial read in this hand, or do you at all?

10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
20-40 PP

Tex is BB.

Folds around to button, (this is the first hand, first orbit) who raises.

I'm holding 99.(i hate having to play the first hand)

SB folds, And I three bet.

I'm figuring he's raising with A-anything here, so I have some equity if he has a hand like A4s A8o A9o, blah blah blah.

Button Caps.

Oops. Okay, still, I probably got a coin flip, but now unless he thinks I'm re-stealing after he tried to steal, he probably has a hand range from 7-7 through A-A, and all the hands inbetween.

Now, I'm in for 2 BB's PF in my first hand OOP with a medium pair. Gotta love it.

Flop

5 7 8 Rainbow....

My line on the flop?

Check call? Lead, ever? Check fold?

How do I avoid check call mode in this hand if I have an overpair here?

I actually bet here, and the button just called.

I have an overpair and a belly buster.

Turn comes an offsuit three, and I checked.

Button checked behind.

River was a board pairing 3, and I bet, and the button raises.

Where did I go wrong and how do I avoid this situation in the future? I cant see how this is a check fold on the flop,so it's either a check raise, a bet, or a check call (which i hate doing).

Tex

10-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I'ld lead the flop and 3-bet if raised. If called, fire again on turn. This is a great flop for you with the gutshot and all low cards, I don't see how you can check it until he gives you reason to think your behind.

10-25-2005, 12:54 PM
his "just call" on the flop made me think he would raise the turn after capping the flop.

What is my line on the river?

Do i have to pay off?

wrto4556
10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I play the flop the same.I normally bet the turn to give button a chance to fold. Getting raised sucks but I usually call down. Why did you check?

10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I'ld pay it off. His raise is very awkward and I don't see how the 3 could have helped him unless he was stealing with complete bs. Also, I wouldn't want to open myself up to a flurry of river raises because Ops observe this hand. Curious to see what he had if you did pay it off.

flawless_victory
10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
i had nine-three.
thx for the free card fish!

wrto4556
10-25-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i had nine-three.
thx for the free card fish!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
AUTO IGNORE MODE.

10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I called the river, and the button showed AA.

flawless_victory
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
i dont see how he possibly could have won less, so nh.

10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
he said in the comment box he didnt bet the turn because he was afraid he'd lose me.

i said

"thanks for the free card, fish"

J/K

smurfitup
10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
i haven't read the other posts, but i bet-3 bet the flop and call down if he caps or raises the turn. probably muck if an ace appears. the way the guy played it, though... a3? 33? total bluff? i'd say he's bluffing, but maybe he's taking some bizarre line w/ aa.

phish
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't know. Your post almost seems like you're trying to find a way to play risk-free poker. You have 99 on the BB. Find yourself headup post-flop with an eigh high board. You go to the river and lose. What's the big deal? It's not like you put 18 bets into him on the turn.

smurfitup
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont see how he possibly could have won less, so nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

he could've just called the river /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Victor
10-25-2005, 06:36 PM
why dont you consider checkraisisng the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
How do I avoid check call mode in this hand if I have an overpair here?

[/ QUOTE ]

whats wrong with calling down in a way ahead or way behind situation?

wow. you definitely lost the minimum. i mighta thanked him after the hand for his generousity.

psyduck
10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
i'd lead/3-bet the flop then call down if he caps.

he played the hand pretty badly though

jogger08152
10-26-2005, 12:27 AM
His capping the flop wouldn't qualify? (Since you suggest firing on the turn...)

tolbiny
10-26-2005, 07:25 AM
YOur not in a way ahead/way behind scenario- your in a decntly behind/ decently ahead as he usually has 6 outs against you with over cards and you have 6 outs with your gutshot.

Does that change things? i think not.