PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I screw the pooch? NBA Draft...

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Ugh. 12 team league, I had the 10th pick. Is my team terrible?

Edit: It's also a one-center league.

1: Elton Brand
2: Jermaine O'Neal
3: Ginobili
4: Ben Gordon
5: Quentin Richardson (note: 3PTM and 3PT% both count in this league)
6: B. Simmons
7: M. Camby (ugh)
8: Drew Gooden
9: Seabass Telfair
10: Lorenzen Wright
11: Jim Jackson
12: McDyess
13: Bynum (this was a joke pick)

Clarkmeister
10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Ben Gordon at 4 is a terrible, terrible pick. Camby at 7 is actually great if you can get 70 games out of him.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ben Gordon at 4 is a terrible, terrible pick. Camby at 7 is actually great if you can get 70 games out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was on the clock and I panicked. Someone took the guy I wanted right out from under me. Blah.

What about the first two rounds... passable given that all the real blue chippers were gone?

Clarkmeister
10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Brand is picked about right. O'Neal is an injury risk and for a forward has terrible FG%. I think you reached there.

ThaSaltCracka
10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Telfair at #9 is a gamble, but he could pay off. Supposedly, he worked a ton on his shooting, and if he doesn't turn the ball over much, he could be valuable.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Telfair at #9 is a gamble, but he could pay off. Supposedly, he worked a ton on his shooting, and if he doesn't turn the ball over much, he could be valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always like to draft at least one guy like that... who could be a total bust but has a lot of upside.

Plus he might be the only interesting thing about the Blazers this year, unless Pryzbilla decides to show off his new boxing skills on the court.

10-25-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. 12 team league, I had the 10th pick. Is my team terrible?

Edit: It's also a one-center league.

1: Elton Brand
2: Jermaine O'Neal
3: Ginobili
4: Ben Gordon
5: Quentin Richardson (note: 3PTM and 3PT% both count in this league)
6: B. Simmons
7: M. Camby (ugh)
8: Drew Gooden
9: Seabass Telfair
10: Lorenzen Wright
11: Jim Jackson
12: McDyess
13: Bynum (this was a joke pick)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben Gordon at #4 is too early. Q. Rich at #5 is terrible, he's not going to put up near the same numbers as he did in Phoenix, I believe he is Jamal Crawford's backup. Camby has plantar fasciatis or whatever which is a serious injury, plus he's known as Mr. Glass. You said Bynum was a joke pick so I won't comment there. The other draft picks are all pretty good though, just look to waiver wire to pickup another center b/c Camby and Bynum will get you nothing. You need another PG too, Telfair is pretty inconsistent at this point in his career.

JcTc
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the first two rounds... passable given that all the real blue chippers were gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brand is not a bad pick, he is a solid 20/10/2 guy every year. Who else was available at that spot, just wondering. J. O'Neal is definately a stretch with your early 2nd round pick. I would have gone with something to contrast Brand, such as an Arenas or Nash, if they were available. If you wanted a big man, Brad Miller would have been a better choice IMO.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brand is not a bad pick, he is a solid 20/10/2 guy every year. Who else was available at that spot, just wondering. J. O'Neal is definately a stretch with your early 2nd round pick. I would have gone with something to contrast Brand, such as an Arenas or Nash, if they were available. If you wanted a big man, Brad Miller would have been a better choice IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nash was available, but I think he's trouble this season. Arenas seems like a lollygagger. I don't want lollygaggers on my team.

pokerdirty
10-25-2005, 12:40 PM
i think jim jackson is playing for his 45th NBA team.

JcTc
10-25-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nash was available, but I think he's trouble this season. Arenas seems like a lollygagger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, not taking Nash with the #14 pick for that reason is alright. He is a little iffy this year w/o Amare. Arenas is a stud though. 25.5 ppg, 5 reb, 5 ast, 2.5 3's, 1.7 stl, good FT%.

And who else was available with the #10 pick? Not that Brand was a bad choice, just wondering.

10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think jim jackson is playing for his 45th NBA team.

[/ QUOTE ]

44th, he refused to play for the Hornets.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And who else was available with the #10 pick? Not that Brand was a bad choice, just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... like AI, Paul Pierce, Steve Francis, Shaq (????), Baron Davis, Marbury, Peja. Arenas went #11.

Last year I had Pierce and Peja and hated both of them.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Here's an image that shows the draft order. Remember, it goes right to left, then left to right on the next line. So Brand, Arenas, Pierce, Stojakavic, Iverson, etc...

Also, you have to click on it twice to get full size for some reason.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/91/draftresults8eq.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=draftresults8eq.jpg)

Hornacek
10-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Peja went wayyyy too high.

Burritos is going to get demolished in FG%, Rebounds, and Blocks.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peja went wayyyy too high.

Burritos is going to get demolished in FG%, Rebounds, and Blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burritos is usually a pretty savvy drafter.... interesting.

Who do you think has the best team?

JcTc
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I can't believe AI didn't go in the first round.

I would have taken Hughes before Ginobili...Billups, JRich, Maggette, Redd, Hinrich, or about 20 others before Ben Gordon...I would not have picked QRich so high...I like the Camby and Gooden picks. And your team name is awesome.

Edit: As for best team...tough to say but I'm gonna go with zbornak's bride. No team really stands out to me.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe AI didn't go in the first round.

I would have taken Hughes before Ginobili...Billups, JRich, Maggette, Redd, Hinrich, or about 20 others before Ben Gordon...I would not have picked QRich so high...I like the Camby and Gooden picks. And your team name is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year I think I snagged AI in the third round /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think he's going to break down sooner rather than later... all those years of abuse, and his team is going to suck this year. I think it's going to get to him, so I wanted to stay as far away as possible.

I like Maggette and Redd a lot, yeah, I should have grabbed them instead of Gordon. D'oh.

SomethingClever
10-25-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would not have picked QRich so high

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know he was hurt, but last year he was huge for me with the threes. His value in my league was really disproportionate to his real value.

My thinking this year NY is going to be out of control (not in a good way) with Starbury, Q and Crawford just launching threes constantly. But it could look ok on the stat sheet for Q... if he gets healthy and gets minutes.

JcTc
10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking this year NY is going to be out of control (not in a good way) with Starbury, Q and Crawford just launching threes constantly. But it could look ok on the stat sheet for Q... if he gets healthy and gets minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the Suns and I LOVED QRich last year, but this year I'm really worried that with Marbury and Crawford chucking up 50 shots each per game, injury problems, and no Nash, that this year will be a big drop-off for QRich.

Who do you think had the best draft?

Hornacek
10-25-2005, 02:31 PM
btw... the person that took wade third must be a toker.

Clarkmeister
10-25-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw... the person that took wade third must be a toker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about a cripplingly bad pick.