PDA

View Full Version : Two Plus Two + STTs = Comfort at a MTT Final Table

kevstreet
10-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't play as many MTTs as I'd like, especially in comparison to SnGs, but I think once we get to a final table the playing field is definitely level if not a little bit slanted in our favor. Of course this doesn't apply to the higher buy-ins that Strassa (and the like) play in but I'm talking about the $20s and below. I know it's been discussed before but I feel real comfortable at the final table short or big stacked.

That being said, are Heads-Up tournies to STTs what STTs are to MTTs?

Won a MTT last night. I'd like to thank 2+2, the Academy and all the little people. OK, so this is a shameless brag post disguised as low content, sorry guys, you're my poker family so I have to tell someone. It's really hard to discuss putting a "squeeze play" on at the Final table w/ your wife "squeeze play? are there girls playing with you?"

Again, thanks everyone for all your help.

pooh74
10-25-2005, 11:01 AM
congrats...

fnord_too
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
STT's are really good at making you focus on the math of push or fold situations. The problem is when people learn only to play the push or fold game and ignore post flop play or reading opponents (especially since you sit with people much longer in MTT's). So as long as you don't fall into the trap of only being a push bot, STT's will help your MTT game a lot. Most MTT'ers don't ever look heavily into cashing equity, where as that is an STT'ers lifeblood, and very germane to the middle/late game of MTT's.

Congrats on the win, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Winning an MTT is probably the best feeling in poker.

10-25-2005, 11:22 AM
At least say how much you won. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I believe that at the lower buy-in MTT's, there will be made many big mistakes at the final table, which we can exploit. My first tourney win was in a $5 rebuy at party, and the players played truly horrible.

kevstreet
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the congratulations guys.

[ QUOTE ]
... Winning an MTT is probably the best feeling in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I was exhausted but so excited that I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing and turning replaying several hands in my head. It's addicting as well, can't wait to get back there again.

Fnord, I appreciate the comments about mtt/final table post flop play and I agree with you. In fact, the two hands that I kept going over were both played to the river. One in which I called a bluff and won and the other was one that I let go on the river after using my time bank. For all I know, I may have had the best hand too.

kevstreet
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least say how much you won.

[/ QUOTE ]

A modest $800, but my second biggest tournament cash so I'm pretty happy about it.

Slim Pickens
10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Awesome. It feels great to kick the whole final table's ass. It's like the never-ending bubble.

Bigwig
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I dunno. I'm pretty comfortable at all levels of MTTs, not just the final table. I notice that I really shine when the stacks start getting short (near the money bubble). If I can just get to that point with an average stack, I finish well into the money on the average.

Nice win.

10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I've still never won one - two seconds and a third with two horrendous a8 vs a7 and ak vs a10 suckouts heads up by some donk - but I feel really comfortable on the final table.

They are definitely as good as it gets poker wise and there's no doubt SNGs help the push/fold strategy late on.