PDA

View Full Version : $11 lvl 2, TPTK monotone flop, too aggressive?

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm adjusting back to SNGs after lots of cash game play. All comments appreciated.

Raise AKo preflop, OOP with 4 other callers? I decided to check it.
Too aggressive on the flop? How about the turn?

$10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: BTN ( t285 )
Seat 2: SB ( t710 )
Seat 3: Hero ( t1745 )
Seat 5: UTG+1 ( t890 )
Seat 7: MP1 ( t1687 )
Seat 8: MP2 ( t755 )
Seat 9: MP3 ( t1120 )
Seat 10: CO ( t808 )

Level:2, Blinds(15/30)

Preflop
Dealt to Hero A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 folds
MP2 calls [30].
1 fold
CO calls [30].
BTN calls [30].
SB calls [15].
Hero checks.

Flop (5 players)
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks
JohnP92 bets [150]
MP2 folds
CO calls [150].
BTN folds
SB folds

Turn (2 players)
A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets [628].
CO is all-In [628]

tigerite
10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Raise preflop. Put yourself in your opponent's shoes. What would be the thing you'd least like BB to do? Yeah, I learnt this off Irie, but I'd for sure raise there, and make it hefty, too.

The flop. Hmm. Well you not only have TPTK but the nut flush draw, too. I can't see what you're afraid of here, so I'd just check personally OOP. If someone bets further down the field you can then shove, and even if behind, you have a lot of outs to overtake. If checked round there is the worry that a turn spade will kill your action but, you just have to take that chance sometimes.

Of course pf raise would have knocked out the Q 4 spades that called and beat you..

If I'd taken your line up to the turn I would not shove here, again, there's no point. Either WA/WB so try to at least see the river card before deciding on your next action. This is why being OOP sucks, a lot.

PinkSteel
10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Excellent points, thanks. Preflop I didn't want to bloat the pot OOP. But you're right, since I was at that point table bully, my big raise there would have been thoroughly unappreciated. That's what I should have done.

Flop and turn play are obvious now, too, now that you point it out. I'm not really WA/WB, since I have draws to win. But if he has the flush he's not folding, so I might as well just check and draw.

Villain had Q/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Would you fold that to a hefty preflop raise?

Result was a 5 on the river, and my boat busted him. "I'd rather be lucky than good...."

tigerite
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but having 'outs to win' is not really very good with one card to come is it? You'd still lose the hand a good 75% of the time, even with the best case scenario.

tigerite
10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
And I wouldn't even be in the hand with QJ sooted, with just a single limper, in the CO. I would want at least 2-3 limpers to play that here. I definitely wouldn't call ANY kind of raise with it.