PDA

View Full Version : What to do with JJ

bpmyrx7
06-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Recent NL online single table tournament, I was under the gun with JJ and 5 players left in the tourn. I was chip leader(with ~1400) and the table was fairly tight. Blinds were 100/200. Do I lay down, limp in or put the pressure on and go All-in? Although "Improving the System" doesn't really cover smaller table sizes, the calculations seem to push me towards all-in.

Jon Matthews
06-08-2003, 02:12 PM
You don't have to go all in. Since the blinds are quite high, you can double or triple them to end up winning them a similar amount of time as you would with an all in.

If you get a caller and get a flop that doesn't suit you can get away from the hand or go all in to expect a call if it does.

Jon

Grivan
06-08-2003, 04:03 PM
I would make it 600 to go with the intention of pushing in if someone came over the top of me. 5 handed JJ is a pretty big hand and if your chip leader with 1400 wining 300 by stealing the blinds here is desirable.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-08-2003, 05:36 PM
A normal raise would be about T600. Since that's almost half your stack, and you're chip leader, I'd say all-in, because that's the way the hand is going to end anyway.

Also, don't ever even think about folding JJ playing 5-handed and being the chip leader. You'd need to be facing a raise and a reraise to even think about it. Or be in a super-satellite type payout tournament.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

JayKon
06-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Ah, thats good advice, commit your stack in a situtation that, at most demands half! If you do get called, its going to be by a pair (probably overpair), or somerthing like AKs.

All you really want is to keep rag overcards out: 2xBB-3xBB, thats T400-T600 to go.

bpmyrx7
06-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the Reaffirming of what transpired all. I chose not to raise 600, so that everyone else would have to risk all in order to play the hand. It turns out the blind was feeling a bit like a gambler and called with KQ off-suit (I would have folded that). He pulled the queen on the river to take the pot. But, I still think I made the play I had to, and it sounds like I have agreement as well. I appreciate the kind advice....Give me the JJ again and I will do it again with even more confidence and win it 3 outta 5 times.

maplepig
06-08-2003, 11:10 PM
If you don't welcome calls of KQ, allin is better. It makes no difference in this case since you are the chip leader, but if BB has more chips, allin is a much better option.

alieneyes
06-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Yes but the point is, are you really going to lay down JJ if someone comes over the top? If you are the chip leader and you have 600 (your bet) plus 300 (blinds) plus all in (600 + x) you are getting 1500 + x : x to call where x < 800, meaning you are getting at worst 3:1 or so and maybe as much as 8:1 or higher (if all in has 800 or less).

JayKon
06-09-2003, 09:28 PM
That sir is the precise reason you do not go all-in pre-flop. Had you bet no more than half of your stack pre flop, then bet the other half on the flop, you have given your caller one more chance to make a good laydown. In fact, many, many players will fold to a flop with no help.

Also, it is a little more attractive to call with overcards when you know the price of admission up front: 5 cards for the price of three.