PDA

View Full Version : 6 million without power in Florida - jakethebake didn't post yesterday

Beer and Pizza
10-25-2005, 06:56 AM
coincidence?

Best wishes to all of you in Florida.

Slacker13
10-25-2005, 01:20 PM
I am in Fort Lauderdale running off of a generator. It is like a war zone here. No gas, no food, no water. Curfews are in effect. Boil water orders. My yard looks like a bomb went off. Trees, fence, shed all gone. But my house is allright. My neighbors got it much worse, one of their roofs is completely gone and the other has a whole corner of his house missing. Most likeley wont have power for at least a week or so.

I imagine Jake is in the same boat.

These storms are getting really fking annoying now.

kipin
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

These storms are getting really fking annoying now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound like a dick but you could move out of the "danger zone".

Warik
10-25-2005, 01:25 PM
In Miami here. I live a few blocks from one of the FPL stations, and also in close proximity to a police station, so when they came back online so did we.

Curfews are total bullshit though. Was going to go hang at a friend's house yesterday and couldn't for fear of being tossed in jail... instead I remained at home and stayed up all night listening to some inconsiderate jerk's generator that was left running the entire night.

Can't wait till everything gets back to normal.

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Some People where I am now in Beaumont still don't have power from Rita, but the amount of tree damage here is what is making that so long, so I doubt you will have the same problem. Probably a week and some change though. It sucks. Be prepared to not have much open (normal hours at least) for like a month.

Paxosmotic
10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
A few friends evacuated, including one who thought she was moving to an island paradise in Key West and wouldn't listen when I tried to tell her what life is really like. I think she's 2-3 weeks short of moving back home. Always listen to me. Always.

Slacker13
10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is a brilliant reply.

Warik
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh please... almost every square inch of the inhabitable planet has some sort of danger associated with it.

Exposure to the possibility of hurricanes for a few months out of the year sure beats unpredictable earthquakes or a state of perpetual frozen nuts during super cold winters up north.

heh

pokerdirty
10-25-2005, 02:38 PM
3 words. Ohio.

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 words. Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not have hurricanes or earthquakes but you still have a good chance of dieing from boredom.

pokerdirty
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 words. Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not have hurricanes or earthquakes but you still have a good chance of dieing from boredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. this is why i don't live there anymore.

there is stuff to do though. in cincy, you have the bungles. in columbus, the buckeyes. in cleveland, the R&R HoF & Indians. in Canton, FB HoF, etc etc.

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I have only been to Cleveland so I can't speak much on the other places but Cleveland blows.

Dallas is where it is at, all you have is alittle heat in the summer and the city is pretty dam great.

jakethebake
10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm at starbucks for a few minutes and abel to login for the first time in days. Trip report? This sucks. Fortunately my kids are in Texas with the wife so they're not dealing with it.

No power since the storm started. No phone. Fortunately I didn't have to worry about the boil-water crap that some people did here. Some don't even have water. But I've basically just been roaming around my house in the dark for the last few days catching up on reading. So far:

Fight Club (yes, i'm embarrassed to ahve never read it)
A Happy Death (something I've been wanting to read)
A couple of junk novels.
The Count of Monte Christo (halfway through)
The complete short stories of Hemingway (I've gotten through 4-5).
It's been around 20 years sine I read Catch-22 so it';s probably next.

I'm bored beyond belief, reading by flashlight. My only comm is really my cellpone.

Anyway, my house is ok. A tree fell on my call, which I rolled off and backed out from under. No real damage. Almost all my trees are down. My fence is down. My patio is destroyed. There's a tree in my pool.

But what the hell, I'm alive. Just bored and lonely so call me. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soul Daddy
10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
That really sucks, jake. Glad to hear that you are okay and the wife and kids got out.

CrazyEyez
10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Did you loot the local library for all those books like a good little hurricane victim?

Keep on truckin' Jake.

ChristinaB
10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But I've basically just been roaming around my house in the dark for the last few days catching up on reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back to the future. You get to experience life how it was like before the internet. Was life fun back then? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-26-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you loot the local library for all those books like a good little hurricane victim?

Keep on truckin' Jake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake's white, so it's called foraging.

MrTrik
10-26-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Keep on truckin' Jake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake's white, so it's called foraging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good humor!

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm at starbucks for a few minutes and abel to login for the first time in days. Trip report? This sucks. Fortunately my kids are in Texas with the wife so they're not dealing with it.

No power since the storm started. No phone. Fortunately I didn't have to worry about the boil-water crap that some people did here. Some don't even have water. But I've basically just been roaming around my house in the dark for the last few days catching up on reading. So far:

Fight Club (yes, i'm embarrassed to ahve never read it)
A Happy Death (something I've been wanting to read)
A couple of junk novels.
The Count of Monte Christo (halfway through)
The complete short stories of Hemingway (I've gotten through 4-5).
It's been around 20 years sine I read Catch-22 so it';s probably next.

I'm bored beyond belief, reading by flashlight. My only comm is really my cellpone.

Anyway, my house is ok. A tree fell on my call, which I rolled off and backed out from under. No real damage. Almost all my trees are down. My fence is down. My patio is destroyed. There's a tree in my pool.

But what the hell, I'm alive. Just bored and lonely so call me. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have one of those hand-charger things for your cell phone?

jakethebake
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what this is. I've been charging it in my truck. My hand hasn't really gotten any exercise at all though since I've been keeping busy reading. It may get some tonight whether I'm charging my phone or not. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what this is. I've been charging it in my truck. My hand hasn't really gotten any exercise at all though since I've been keeping busy reading. It may get some tonight whether I'm charging my phone or not. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TMI