PDA

View Full Version : Clean computer question

otter
10-25-2005, 03:55 AM
I was told to use these steps to clean my computer...will it work or will it cause unnescessary problems for my computer? If there is a thread explaining this please let me know. I searched but couldn't find anything...this site is terribly slow for me tonight.

Clean out your cookies, temp Internet files, and history files.
Click Start
Click Run
Type in "regedit" and hit enter
A registry edit window should pop up
Click HKEY_Local_Machine
Click Software
Click calculator
Click Mode
You should see a file called "UCID"
DELETE the UCID file.

send_the_msg
10-25-2005, 04:04 AM
i'm no windows expert, and have no clue what this will do. but i'm pretty sure the only way to truly clean up your comp is a reinstall of windows.

otter
10-25-2005, 04:17 AM
I think this will clean a file that is somehow "hidden" on the computer.

10-25-2005, 04:17 AM
The UCID is a file that only shows up when you install and open Party Poker or its former skins.

Nomad84
10-25-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The UCID is a file that only shows up when you install and open Party Poker or its former skins.

[/ QUOTE ]

To expand, if you try to set up an account on another skin (not sure how this works now) or a new party account, you will get a message saying you already have an account, even if you have uninstalled the software. This hidden registry key seems to be the culprit. I haven't tried deleting just this key, since I also delete the other keys left behind by Party. This should have no ill effects on your computer. I have done it several times.