PDA

View Full Version : Any Runners out there?

10-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Ive started to run quite a bit lately and was wondering if much other people did on here too. I would also be interested to know which time of the day you find best to run. Ive been trying to run late afternoon early evening, but have found that I havent had much time as of late because of my conflicting class schedule and was thinking about changing my running time to late night. There is no way possible that I will run in mornings since I'm a nightowl and its impossible for me to wake up before 12. Any input is greatly appreciated on Pros and cons of running during any time of the day.

phlup
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I guess you're still in school so you have a pretty wide window when you can get a run in. There really isn't a "good" time to go running. Your best bet is to keep it consistent and go at the same time every day. If you can set a time and stick to it it will help you keep running every day. Otherwise you'll always be tempted to say "oh, I'll go in an hour or two". And yeah, you never go in an hour or two. There's always a beer pong game that needs to be attended to or the Simpson’s comes on or whatever.

As a student you might just want to get your ass out of bed a little earlier. Once you graduate you'll have to be up a lot earlier than noon 5 days a week. Hell in college I rowed crew and was up at 4:15am so I know you can get out of bed at 11 and be ok.

As for your late night idea...I personally could never make it work. I'd always get hungry and eat dinner and then couldn't run for a few hours and by then its dark and I'd need to study or whatever. But if you can make it work, then go for it.

BreakfastBurrito
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I work 7am-5pm every day and run at lunch. When I was in grad school and had a little later of a start and a shorter work day in general, I would go early evenings. I think it's best to try to run at about the peak of your day energywise. If you try to do it at the very beginning or very end it's too easy to put it off and you'll rarely be at your best so it won't be as rewarding an experience.

10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
I had an uncle that ran numbers. He varied his schedule, frequently. Had something to do with some kinda law but I forget which one.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mslif
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
It really depends on your schedule. I prefer running in the morning early before going to work. If i feel like sleeping in, I will run late at night. The problem with running at night is that it takes me time to unwind and therefore I go to bed late, don't get enough sleep and am a delight at work in the morning. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

FouTight
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
So you work half a day covered in sweat?

coffeecrazy1
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I've tried to run before, during, and after work. Really, it doesn't matter...as long as you are consistent(which another poster mentioned). What has worked for me lately is running late at night...usually 11 or 12 o'clock. It's not like doing so doesn't present its own problems(tired in the morning, have to shower excessively), but I found that I was having a major problem waking up early to run, and running during the day was a nightmare.

DrSavage
10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Running is anti-American. Get a car.

poincaraux
10-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Are you training for anything in particular? I used to run a lot at lunch or in the evenings. Around 2/3 of the way into training for a marathon, that turns out to be a huge chunk of time out of the middle of the day. So, I started running ass-early in the mornings and after work. Both of those were much easier when I was training with a group. If you're going to run in the evening, you might think about easy to cook meals .. I used to take my running gear to work, run, end up at home, put some quick stuff on the stove while I showered and then eat.

JcTc
10-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I have run a few marathons and half marathons. I rarely run in the morning unless I have to; I just don't have much energy in the mornings. During the summer and for the past couple months I have been doing my running late at night and I seem to have tons of energy for it. It is usually nice and cool and not very windy at night, perfect running weather in my opinion. The only possible negative is that you may not be able to fall asleep for a while afterwards, but if that isn't a big deal, I would try going at night. I also like late afternoon, but my class schedule doesn't allow it.

CD56
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I was about your age when i started to run a lot. Be careful not to over do it too soon. Also, try and mix it up a bit, now I run 2 out of every 3 days and the other day I do some other aerobic activity (usually bike or pick up basketball) it breaks up the monotony and I haven't had shin splints since i started changing it up. My running times have actually improved.

BobboFitos
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
i used to. i ran compeitively though and not for fun, although it's somehow fun.

mightymouse (who is a bit of an arrogant jackass here) is a new england champion (no joke) who will crush anyone except kenyans

10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you training for anything in particular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im kind of training for boxing, I quit last year because I wasn't in shape and didn't really feel like going anymore because I wanted to spar, and my coach told me that if I wanted to spar I needed to be able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes. Back then I couldn't even come close. So I was hoping by January 1st I would be able to do this if I could run regularly. Right now I'm running about 2 miles in 20 minutes 3-4 days a week. Hoping to do more like 5-6 days and gradually step up the pace and distance.

nyc999
10-25-2005, 05:15 PM
If you train right, you should be able to pull that off within a few months.

poincaraux
10-25-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you training for anything in particular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im kind of training for boxing, I quit last year because I wasn't in shape and didn't really feel like going anymore because I wanted to spar, and my coach told me that if I wanted to spar I needed to be able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes. Back then I couldn't even come close. So I was hoping by January 1st I would be able to do this if I could run regularly. Right now I'm running about 2 miles in 20 minutes 3-4 days a week. Hoping to do more like 5-6 days and gradually step up the pace and distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
First, there are certainly people on 2+2 that know a *lot* more about running than I do. With that in mind, I had really good luck with Hal Higdon (http://halhigdon.com/)'s training schedules. If you're up to it, you might do well with the intermediate spring training (http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springinter.htm). If that's too much, maybe the novice (http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm) one with some speed work thrown in. Remember, though, that you shouldn't be doing speedwork every day. Following a training schedule designed by a pro is pretty amazing. You'll be very happily surprised at your rate of improvement if you stick to it.

Isura
10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you work half a day covered in sweat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, showers don't usually work between 12-1 in the afternoon.

FouTight
10-25-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah, you know, the usual breaks, coffee, lunch, shower, all typical in my work place anyways...

Clarkmeister
10-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Victor
10-28-2005, 01:24 AM
i used to run 25-30 miles a week. then i turned into a fat, alcoholic, working slob.

now that i am a motivated, healthy, internet poker player i run about 10-15 a week. i bike a lot too.

i have found the best time is right after my morning [censored].

10-28-2005, 01:34 AM
I thought this thread would be about drug runners

AngryCola
10-28-2005, 01:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/loganrun.jpg

10-28-2005, 01:42 AM
I find it hard to motivate myself to run. There will be weeks where I run 6 out of 7 days then weeks where I run maybe 1 day at best.

JcTc
10-28-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to motivate myself to run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run different routes, run with a friend, mix in some sprints and track workouts, do cross-training such as biking or swimming. Things like these should keep you from becoming as bored. However, if you really are serious about boxing, motivation shouldn't be a problem.

ChipWrecked
10-28-2005, 02:14 AM
I used to run late at night, around 11PM. If you live in an urban area as I did then, one plus is that the air is cleaner than during the day.

runner4life7
10-28-2005, 04:44 AM
get a running partner, not only for motivation but you will just naturally run faster. 10 min miles isnt running. if you are going to go that slow work on going longer and then picking up the pace over a few weeks.

10-28-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get a running partner, not only for motivation but you will just naturally run faster. 10 min miles isnt running. if you are going to go that slow work on going longer and then picking up the pace over a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im slow and lazy though. I think thats a problem. Also when I dont run for a couple days the 2 miles that I run seems that much harder than before so I never seem to really make any progress because the distance I do always seems hard.