PDA

View Full Version : ultimate fighter on spike

10-24-2005, 11:57 PM
god i love this show.

flatline
10-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Man, it sucked all season... until this last show. Great fight. I love Luke, the Killer Nerd, picked last and now he's in the finals. The show looks like it will finish strong.

jokerthief
10-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Anyone who wrestled in high school should watch this show. It brings back good memories.

BCPVP
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
The fighting is usually ok. I'm not really interested in all their little hissy fits. Some fights have just downright sucked. Regular UFC/Pride fights are much better, imo.

Check this out (http://fightauthority.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2776) for a huge list of fights you can watch for free.

jokerthief
10-25-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fighting is usually ok. I'm not really interested in all their little hissy fits. Some fights have just downright sucked. Regular UFC/Pride fights are much better, imo.

Check this out (http://fightauthority.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2776) for a huge list of fights you can watch for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are awesome. Simply awesome.

Skipbidder
10-25-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Kick ass.
My whinging lefty peacenick friends don't understand why I watch this (being a whinging lefty peacenick myself).

Still a newbie when it comes to understanding what is allowed, however. It seems like this is in a fair amount of flux.

I used to wrestle. While watching the show, I keep thinking about how useless many wrestling moves would be. As it is, I don't understand why people don't get kneed in the face when they shoot for double leg takedowns.

flatline
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Sweet link. I love any fight with Silva, that guy is a beast.

I agree that most fights this TUF season have sucked; tonight was the exception.

BCPVP
10-25-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My whinging lefty peacenick friends don't understand why I watch this

[/ QUOTE ]
Find new friends. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif j/k.

[ QUOTE ]
Still a newbie when it comes to understanding what is allowed, however. It seems like this is in a fair amount of flux.

[/ QUOTE ]
The rules depend on what organization is running it (Pride, K-1, UFC, etc).

[ QUOTE ]
While watching the show, I keep thinking about how useless many wrestling moves would be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the rules in wrestling are different so that makes a big difference. But wrestling is definitely a dominant style in UFC. Randy Couture is a good example of what wrestling can do.

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, I don't understand why people don't get kneed in the face when they shoot for double leg takedowns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes this happens, (there's a Match where Cro-Cop fucks up a dude's face with a knee while the guy shot), but usually you try to set up the shoot with a punch or kick. But even if they do get a knee off, they're still probably going to go down, so it's better to sprawl and be on top of them, usually.

BCPVP
10-25-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that most fights this TUF season have sucked; tonight was the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a goofy schedule so I haven't been able to catch many episodes. I do remember the finale for last season was a hell of a match and both guys wound up winning contracts (rightfully so, imo).

10-25-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, it sucked all season... until this last show. Great fight. I love Luke, the Killer Nerd, picked last and now he's in the finals. The show looks like it will finish strong.

[/ QUOTE ]
ya he is great...his last fight, i forget against who, was pretty sweet too. I do agree that the first season was better, Diego was a beast.

-Skeme-
10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Randy Couture is a good example of what wrestling can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark Kerr was an excellent example of how a wrestler could dominate MMA.

[ QUOTE ]
(there's a Match where Cro-Cop fucks up a dude's face with a knee while the guy shot),

[/ QUOTE ]

A great example of this would be Pele Vs. Carlos Newton. You can find clips all over the place, but it's a brutal knee to the face. It's very cool because Carlos just shakes it off and gives Pele a thumbs up.

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it started off horribly, but the last fight with Luke was great. And now, his fight tonight? Man, Luke is a badass. I knew he would kick ass from the first time they showed him dominating in that wall sit exercise or whatever it was.

"Sam better be ready to feel my fury. I'm at a place right now where there's nothing but extreme violence all around me and I do not want to suffer that. I want to make him suffer."

"Anybody who underestimates me is gonna be in for a rude awakening. I was the last person picked. How you like me now?"

Go Luke!

flatline
10-25-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm at a place right now where there's nothing but extreme violence all around me and I do not want to suffer that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is such a great quote.

slickpoppa
10-25-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it started off horribly, but the last fight with Luke was great. And now, his fight tonight? Man, Luke is a badass. I knew he would kick ass from the first time they showed him dominating in that wall sit exercise or whatever it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

He fought well, but for the record he was about 5-10 seconds from being submitted with an armbar at the end of the first round. Definitely a lot of luck involved in the sport, especially with respect to submissions.

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He fought well, but for the record he was about 5-10 seconds from being submitted with an armbar at the end of the first round. Definitely a lot of luck involved in the sport, especially with respect to submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it definitely looked like Sammy had it locked. But, Luke had fought his way out the whole round, enabling himself to get saved by the bell there. Definitely lucky, but I feel like he largely made his own luck there.

DMBFan23
10-25-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How you like me now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that he said this with such a freaking deadpan voice, like he knew it all along, and it ain't no real secret. I am the man, I knew it, you should have know it, that's basically all she wrote.

Cancuk
10-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Without question the best part of this show is Bas Rutten and his mastery of the English Language

slickpoppa
10-25-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How you like me now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that he said this with such a freaking deadpan voice, like he knew it all along, and it ain't no real secret. I am the man, I knew it, you should have know it, that's basically all she wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but nothing will ever be more badass than Ivan Drago saying "I will break you" to Apollo Creed at the beginning of their fight in Rocky IV.

hoyaboy1
10-25-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Without question the best part of this show is Bas Rutten and his mastery of the English Language

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Anyway, of note is the fact that Luke's one loss came against Josh Koschek. I suspect he gets killed by Stevenson in the finals, but I'll be rooting for him.

shant
10-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I missed a lot of this season but tuned in tonight because you guys posted about it. Wow, Luke is impressive. I totally underestimated him. What a great fight.

-Skeme-
10-25-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I must break you.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Big Business
10-25-2005, 11:12 AM
This season sucks! Last season was really good, but they continue to bury the fighters week after week.

Example, what if Rashad wins the Heavhyweight...are we supposed to want to see him fight after the President of the UFC said he fought in the "shittiest" fight of all time and is lazy!

Every week we have to hear some inspirational speech by Dana "Don't call me Vince McMahon" White about fighting and putting on a show.

The only people on that show that can even market this season is Luke and Joe everyone else is already useless and some of them have not even fought yet.

And instead of making stars they made one of their biggest stars in Matt Hughes into the most hated fighter in the UFC now.

DMBFan23
10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew he would kick ass from the first time they showed him dominating in that wall sit exercise or whatever it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this too. also, do you remember when he first came in, and had to adjust his bed to face north to line up his chi with the spritual center of the room or whatever reason he gave? Everyone kind of made fun of him, and rightfully so, but I was hoping after that that he'd be a huge badass and put the stamp on fools.

MrMoo
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
It wasn't locked. Sammy's crotch wasn't passed the elbow. It was on his forearm. Although it's a bad example, the attempted arm bar was similar to when Frank Mir broke Tim Sylvia's forearm.

asofel
10-25-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are awesome. Simply awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...yes...that is a huge list, nice job...

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And instead of making stars they made one of their biggest stars in Matt Hughes into the most hated fighter in the UFC now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.. I think Matt Hughes has been awesome in the show. Everything he has done/said on the show is completely in line with my feeling before the show that he is just a complete badass.

Big Business
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I do not disagree with the fact that Hughes is a badass and one of the best fighters ever in the UFC...he is just not really coach material.

First off, he puts the heavyweights through the same workouts as the welterweights which is stupid and is probably the cause of all his heavyweights going down.

Second. Jason Von Flue comes in as an alternate and works his ass off and beats Franklin's best welterweight and training partner..and what does Hughes do? Plays solitare and doesn't say a word and them gives him up to the other team.

I think after this show is that Hughes will draw now, but in a different way. I think he will be the guy that everyone wants to get knocked out. Franklin will be the nice guy fan favorite and Hughes is being played as the bad guy.

slickpoppa
10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Second. Jason Von Flue comes in as an alternate and works his ass off and beats Franklin's best welterweight and training partner..and what does Hughes do? Plays solitare and doesn't say a word and them gives him up to the other team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was really dick. They guy fought his heart out and Hughes couldn't even give him a high five.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was really dick. They guy fought his heart out and Hughes couldn't even give him a high five.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too, good point, Business.

However, I think the general take on Matt from the show is simply that he's a badass that expects everyone on his team to be a similar level of badass, not that he's a bad guy or whatever.

jaydub
10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too, good point, Business.

However, I think the general take on Matt from the show is simply that he's a badass that expects everyone on his team to be a similar level of badass, not that he's a bad guy or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, it's a variation on the Jordan as a coach problem.

Also, we must remember that the show is heavily edited and a dickish hughes is good for ratings.

rory
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM
you ever see this guy fight? ive always wondered how he would fare.

http://jkd.inat.org/

he is unbelievably fast.

tdarko
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
first of all i know that a few of the fighters have already somewhat put their head in the UFC door before this show, but obviously they haven't made it.

my question is this: do you think that maybe hughes wants them to bust their ass as hard as he did, coming from nothing and having to work ground up instead of winning a couple key fights on a reality show? maybe he wants them to truly earn it instead of enter the UFC realm as a media fighter and then get their d*ck handed to them by belfourt and others. just something to think about.

plus, i like his style. the ring isn't easy and you can tell that what he makes them do isn't anything he hasn't done a million times, i would respect that as a fighter. he is turning them into nails and it may rub people the wrong way, but well uh [censored] em'.

Skipbidder
10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Couture-Belfort fight was pretty good. The fights that do not have English commentaries are much less interesting to me.

How the hell many Gracies are there? There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?

bdk3clash
10-27-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He'd get beat up pretty bad.

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Couture-Belfort fight was pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couture and Belfort are badasses. Vitor's losing it a little though.

[ QUOTE ]
The fights that do not have English commentaries are much less interesting to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind too much. I just turn the sound down and listen to music.

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell many Gracies are there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots. Here's (http://bjj.org/family.html) a family tree. Several brothers+various remarriages = LOTS of Gracies.

[ QUOTE ]
There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "several years ago". Back in the early 90's when UFC began, Royce dominated. He won the first two, had to quit the third due to fatigue, and won the fourth. And this was when you fought 3-4 people in one night with few rules. But with the introduction of time limits and other stuff, Rorion Gracie (Royce's brother and co-founder of UFC) sold his shares and Royce stopped fighting in UFC.

Nowadays, the game is different. Back in the early UFC, Royce had suprise on his side. Now almost any MMA fighter worth anything trains in groundfighting. Royce has had a few matches in Pride, but I wouldn't say he's done spectacularly. He was beaten pretty handily by Kazushi Sakuraba (one of my favorite fighters) and was manhandled by Hidehiko Yoshida in their first match (early ref stoppage in that fight).

Can you tell I'm a bit of a mma fan? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

http://jkd.inat.org/

he is unbelievably fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on who he's fighting. A seasoned mma fighter would waste him.

Skipbidder
10-27-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "several years ago". Back in the early 90's when UFC began, Royce dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

93, 94, or 95, on pay-per-view at a friend's house. They interupted otherwise profitable ***** games. I was in Iowa City at the time. A couple of the Iowa college wrestlers were trying to get into it, so there was also some advertisements for events in the area. I am under the impression that the UFC was near it's start at the time, so the description of it being the 4 tournaments or so sounds right. If I recall correctly, there was some controversy surrounding use of part of the uniform (gee? gi? ghee? hell if I know how to spell it) offensively. I notice that nobody is currently wearing these uniforms, so I gather that they are no longer legal.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell I'm a bit of a mma fan? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I'm asking you these things. I could try to google it, but you'll provide with the information with less effort on my part while you get to talk about something that you enjoy. Win-win.

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
93, 94, or 95, on pay-per-view at a friend's house.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you were right then, it was Royce Gracie.

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, there was some controversy surrounding use of part of the uniform (gee? gi? ghee? hell if I know how to spell it) offensively.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's "gi". I don't know of any controversy surrounding it (I would have been about 8-9 when UFC started). It's done in Judo all the time and there weren't many rules back then anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I notice that nobody is currently wearing these uniforms, so I gather that they are no longer legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
While you're right that most people don't wear it, I don't believe it's because it's illegal. The reason a lot of people don't wear it is because it's easier for the other guy to grab onto you. Without the gi, you'd be very slippery from sweating so it's be harder to maintain a good grip. I think Royce has stopped wearing the gi jacket in mma, because he realizes that he's lost the element of surprise with it and it's just going to put him at a disadvantage. In the Sakuraba fight, Royce's gi was used against him a couple times, usually humorously so as Saku is a bit of a practical joker.

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I'm asking you these things. I could try to google it, but you'll provide with the information with less effort on my part while you get to talk about something that you enjoy. Win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hear hear. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
11-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Unbelievable show. Joe Stevenson's a beast. No clue how Luke hung in there with him. They both have a ton of heart.

flatline
11-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Damn, Sanchez was a good fighter on TUF, but he has become a monster.

BCPVP
11-08-2005, 01:42 AM
I wish I had time to watch this, but it's on when I have martial arts class (ironically enough). /images/graemlins/frown.gif

But I can't stand Joe Rogan. What a terrible announcer...

Jim Kuhn
11-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Matt Hughes was a high school teacher and coach for several years. I met him two years ago and he seemed like a real nice guy. He did not look very bad in street clothes.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BCPVP
11-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Sure you're not talking about Franklin? I don't recall Hughes being a teacher...

obsidian
11-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Been watching it all season. The last few episodes have been great. I have no doubts that Luke will be back fighting in UFC. Joe is just too solid but he came close. Rashad pretty much destroyed Brad technically so I'm not sure how that was a split decision.

Diego sure seems like a beast in the fights hes done so far but his division is extremely stacked. I mean you have Trigg, Georges St. Pierre, and Hughes all there. I don't see Diego beating St. Pierre or Hughes for a long time. Trigg would be a good matchup though.

Monty
11-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Luke has been offered a contract. Link (http://www.serrajitsu.com/newsite/frameset.htm)

J_V
11-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Joe Rogan is a fantastic announcer. Very knowledgeable, well spoken, and exciting. He's one of the top announcers for any sport.

jokerthief
11-08-2005, 05:00 AM
How come my nearly identical post got moved to sports?

BeerMoney
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Matt Hughes was a high school teacher and coach for several years. I met him two years ago and he seemed like a real nice guy. He did not look very bad in street clothes.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes really seemed like the superior coach.

I'd like to see Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Stevenson, Although I think they are different weight classes.

slickpoppa
11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes really seemed like the superior coach.

I'd like to see Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Stevenson, Although I think they are different weight classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of them are 170. Diego used to be 185 when he was on the show

Frills
11-08-2005, 02:50 PM
me thinks diego would destroy him.

chessforlife
11-08-2005, 02:57 PM
UFC is great. get the "best of" dvd's. /images/graemlins/grin.gif