PDA

View Full Version : Rosa Parks dead at 92

BottlesOf
10-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Reported on CNN.

miajag81
10-24-2005, 10:41 PM
http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper337/stills/3bv32sio.jpg

whiskeytown
10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
does that mean her seat is finally open?

bad bad joke - but I didn't appreciate the way she went after Outkast -

RB

istewart
10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper337/stills/3bv32sio.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

Phoenix1010
10-24-2005, 10:48 PM
RIP.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Wow, I thought she was long dead. One act of defiance that will never be forgotton. God bless her soul.

Sightless
10-24-2005, 11:05 PM
most overrated human being ever?

She was a very very Brave and good person, but she just happened to be at the right time at the right place, she is more of a Symbol than a hero.

Skipbidder
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mother Theresa, and it's not even close.

Clarkmeister
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM

10-24-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mother Theresa, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbest question ever? What she did took a level of courage that you can't fathom. She deserves all the respect that she has been given.

kipin
10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7503/rosaparks4hg.jpg

10-24-2005, 11:11 PM
She was one feisty ole lady. Reminded me of my Momma (bless her ole soul).

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pryor15
10-25-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

i know a lot of people who were really close to her, and they all say without reservation that she was actually underrated in many ways. few people realize just how active she was in the years before she was arrested. this is really a sad day, but with her health, not at all a surprise

mistrpug
10-25-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reported on CNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tragically, she was run over by a bus.

DrPublo
10-25-2005, 12:46 AM
I hear they're going to put her casket at the back of the bus.

The Doc

PS OK that was bad.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

She was a very very Brave and good person, but she just happened to be at the right time at the right place, she is more of a Symbol than a hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, she didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The protest was planned in advance.

jokerthief
10-25-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reported on CNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/4713/censoredsignal4bq.jpg

pryor15
10-25-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, she didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The protest was planned in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. she had training on non-violent protesting, but the protest was not at all planned. the protest was so effective partly b/c everyone was shocked it was her.

private joker
10-25-2005, 08:14 AM
I should have learned more about her. My knowledge of Black History is limited to Spike Lee movies. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BoxTree
10-25-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have learned more about her. My knowledge of Black History is limited to Spike Lee movies. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull.

I know you've seen To Kill a Mockingbird.

Beer and Pizza
10-25-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you post an image with a misspelled word over Rosa Parks' picture?

Are you implying that African Americans can't spell?

StevieG
10-25-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PBS did a documentary series on the early civil rights movement called "Eyes on the Prize," a little more than 15 years ago.

You should be able to borrow the installments from your local public library. There is also a small paperback summary available.

Vavavoom
10-25-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dumbest question ever? What she did took a level of courage that you can't fathom. She deserves all the respect that she has been given.

[/ QUOTE ]

So very true...

kipin
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the post I am replying to.

Also look closely at the "[sic]"... maybe you should look up the definition of that.

Edit: looks like jokerthief edited his post... but still misspelled "forgotten".

M2d
10-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I opened this thread dreading the responses I might find. I'm pleasantly surprised to report that my faith in OOTiots has been restored (for today, at least).

RIP

Beer and Pizza
10-25-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also look closely at the "[sic]"... maybe you should look up the definition of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you conveniently assume that I am too dumb to know what [sic] means?

I didn't assume you are too dumb to catch the misspelling.

Are you saying that if you reply to a post with a misspelling, it is ok to mock the spelling of African Americans?

Come on Kipin, tell us that you don't have a [sic] [sic] mind. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

kipin
10-25-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you conveniently assume that I am too dumb to know what [sic] means?

I didn't assume you are too dumb to catch the misspelling.

Are you saying that if you reply to a post with a misspelling, it is ok to mock the spelling of African Americans?

Come on Kipin, tell us that you don't have a [sic] [sic] mind. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake really needs to make an appearance and grace us with a "What is going on??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif" post

SackUp
10-25-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reported on CNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/4713/censoredsignal4bq.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

The [censored} symbol is damn funny, but the poster you sent it on made a pretty funny, albeit off color joke. Get a little thicker skin and read the Mat's sticky "This is an almost anything goes enviroment." And no I don't think this qualifies as over the top offensive.

Also, is there a single post that you don't somehow lick on [censored]'s balls? If that is your thing cool, but you sure like to drop his name.

SackUp
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

queue Cedric the Entertainer in Barbershop

Sponger15SB
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is sad because on my list of "two plus twoers most likely to be black before I met them" you were #2

You should study up on your almost heritage.

Boris
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Don't get your hopes up. Scalf hasn't logged in yet.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. she had training on non-violent protesting, but the protest was not at all planned. the protest was so effective partly b/c everyone was shocked it was her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. MLK himself was in on the planning. Nothing about it was unplanned.

pryor15
10-25-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. MLK himself was in on the planning. Nothing about it was unplanned.

[/ QUOTE ]

not according to her close friends and leaders of the Montgomery Improvement Assoc. i've talked to them. they say it wasn't planned. they were there for the whole thing. that's good enough for me.

pokerdirty
10-25-2005, 02:39 PM
had it not been for Rosa Parks, i would not have been able to sit in the back of the bus on the way to school with the cool kids, but rather in the front near the stinky bus driver. thank you for your contribution to society. you will be missed.

Blarg
10-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Then the PBS documentary must have been wrong.

It was propaganda, though. I don't fully expect people to be completely honest about propaganda, especially when they're involved in it directly. The story is much more powerful when it is portrayed as a sort of accident. And who could be more innocently wronged than a little old lady?

istewart
10-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Uhh, MLK was definitely behind it. It wasn't some heat-of-the-moment thing.

private joker
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is sad because on my list of "two plus twoers most likely to be black before I met them" you were #2

You should study up on your almost heritage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was being fairly facetious here. I did study up on Frederick Douglass, Harriet Beacher Stowe, the underground railroad, the '60s activists like Huey P. Newton, and of course my favorite novelist is Richard Wright.

But my point is that aside from "Bamboozled," not a lot is getting through our current pop culture on the subject.

arod15
10-25-2005, 07:12 PM
RIP