PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant Bastard Ale

MelchyBeau
10-24-2005, 10:21 PM
I just had one today. It is brewed in San Diego County. Thought it was great. If you don't like Guiness though, you probably wont like it. It is fairly strong, had a taste similar to Guinness Draught

Anyone else like it?

Arrogant Bastard (http://www.arrogantbastard.com/index2.html)

Melch

JihadOnTheRiver
10-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I like it a lot. I drink it every time I'm at La Jolla Brewery in UTC.

DougOzzzz
10-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't think the taste is remotely similar to Guinness.

P.S. Double Bastard pwnz

miajag81
10-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Arrogant Bastard is good, but Stone IPA is just ridiculously amazing.

jason_t
10-24-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arrogant Bastard is good, but Stone IPA is just ridiculously amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. I pick a bottle up every time that I go to Whole Foods.

10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I've always avoided it because of the gimmicky name. I'll give it a try next time since so many people are giving it the thumbs up.

gunt
10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
had it, liked it.liked the name too.

PatJ
10-25-2005, 04:44 AM
If you like hops you'll love it. If a big fan you ca get kegs from the brewery in San Marcos.

10-25-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Arrogant Bastard is good, but Stone Ruination IPA is just ridiculously amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

protocol
10-25-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
had a taste similar to Guinness Draught

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it tastes anything like Guinness.

However, if you like Guinness, I highly recommend Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

10-25-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like hops you'll love it. If a big fan you ca get kegs from the brewery in San Marcos.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa whoa... san marcos? san marcos texas? Im moving to san marcos, and I was excited about it already, but if this is the san marcos you're talking about, then life just got a lil better.

ethan
10-25-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa whoa... san marcos? san marcos texas? Im moving to san marcos, and I was excited about it already, but if this is the san marcos you're talking about, then life just got a lil better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to disappoint - the San Marcos in question is a little ways north of San Diego, and rather far from Texas.

And all Stone's beer is good. I'm a big fan of their barleywine, which is unfortunately not that easy to track down most of the year.

10-25-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does SS's Oatmeal Stout taste anything like Guinness?

jaydub
10-25-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we are in a parallel universe where ridiculously big IPA's (which I love) taste like Guiness.

The bottle mocking the drinker is a nice touch. Great beer for the hop heads.

tonypaladino
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
It's been my experience that novelty names = bad product, but this sounds like one of the exceptions. Is it available in NY, I've never seen it?

(BTW, Fat Bastard Wines is another exception-- damn good Shiraz)

mslif
10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hijack the thread but are you serious about this wine? Is it really good? I am only knowledgeable in french wines and some Italian ones. Always looking for new ones to try.

lacticacid
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the taste is remotely similar to Guinness.

P.S. Double Bastard pwnz

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - it tastes nothing like Guiness, but it does kick ass.

RunDownHouse
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
For everyone asking if its available in their area of the country, it takes about two seconds to go to http://www.stonebrew.com and check.

Everything they brew is great. If its distributed in your area, but your favorite shop doesn't have it, pester them to carry it. The Arrogant Bastard typically sells the best, probably because of the unique name/packaging, and that's a good springboard into carrying their whole line.

I'm insanely jealous of those in southern Cal, because there's no way for me to slap a Stone keg in my kegerator without driving to CA to pick it up.

EDIT: Durden said: "It's been my experience that novelty names = bad product, but this sounds like one of the exceptions."

I don't think this observation holds very well at all for craft beers.

miajag81
10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we are in a parallel universe where ridiculously big IPA's (which I love) taste like Guiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrogant Bastard is not an IPA

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 12:06 PM
If you ever get a chance to pick up the Oaked Bastard do it, because I think it is by far the best brew made by stone and one of the top 10 American Beers.

jaydub
10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No? That is the style it most resembled to me. How would you classify it?

CollinEstes
10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Its an American Strong Ale.

DougOzzzz
10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IPA's by name are "pale." AB is brownish. It also has a sort of roasted malt character which is not present in IPAs. It doesn't really fit in with any specific style guidelines so it is characterized by Beer Advocate and Rate Beer as an "American Strong Ale."

jaydub
10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Defined as this (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/78/)?
[ QUOTE ]

Description:
Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above, Some may even be as high as 25% abv. Characteristics will greatly vary, some have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales. Barrel aging is certainly not out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as a useless category based upon % alcohol content that describes nothing of the beer's flavor. I agree with the old ale similarities but a barley wine? I haven't had it in a while so I may be misremembering but it was no barley wine.

jaydub
10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IPA's by name are "pale." AB is brownish. It also has a sort of roasted malt character which is not present in IPAs. It doesn't really fit in with any specific style guidelines so it is characterized by Beer Advocate and Rate Beer as an "American Strong Ale."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does not fit cleanly. Old ale / IPA hybrid or the like because you are correct it is not just an IPA.

DougOzzzz
10-25-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Description:
Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above, Some may even be as high as 25% abv. Characteristics will greatly vary, some have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales. Barrel aging is certainly not out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as a useless category based upon % alcohol content that describes nothing of the beer's flavor. I agree with the old ale similarities but a barley wine? I haven't had it in a while so I may be misremembering but it was no barley wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said it is not a beer that fits nicely into any category. Hence the phraseology "catch all." BTW, there are quite a few American Barleywines that are loaded up in hops. Rogue's Old Crustacean is 120 IBU I think. AB is not strong enough but DB could easily be called a barleywine.

tonypaladino
10-25-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hijack the thread but are you serious about this wine? Is it really good? I am only knowledgeable in french wines and some Italian ones. Always looking for new ones to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty good for a $10 wine. It comes from France.

jaydub
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Description:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said it is not a beer that fits nicely into any category. Hence the phraseology "catch all." BTW, there are quite a few American Barleywines that are loaded up in hops. Rogue's Old Crustacean is 120 IBU I think. AB is not strong enough but DB could easily be called a barleywine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had that barleywine from Rogue and it tastes nothing like AB. Rogue's I2PA however resembles it to much higher (though far from perfect) degree.

I didn't see your explanation before I replied to CollinEstes'.