PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Implied Odds and Pot Equity

10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Can someone put these into layman's terms for me. SSH puts it pretty simply but I am still not getting it really. I mean I understand it on paper, but once I start to multitable I get caught up in the game and only fleetlingly count the pot and figure out some basic odds. Is there a way to do these quickly?

Xhad
10-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Reverse Implied Odds: This isn't something that you generally calculate "in the heat of battle". The closest thing to a calculation is this: If you have a made hand, and you don't know if it's good, and it probably won't improve significantly by the river, and you're thinking about calling b/c your opponent is bluffing...check the size of the pot, and compare it to the number of bets you will have to call on all streets to see a showdown. (i.e. you have top pair on a three flush board, if someone bets into you decide right now if the pot size justifies going all the way to showdown, and make sure you take turn and river bets into consideration when doing so)

Pot Equity: First, download pokerstove to do some calculations away from the table and get a feel for various situations. Then, realize that you don't have to know that much in terms of specific numbers when you're playing ... preflop, just knowing that big pairs, AK-AQ, big suited cards etc. are almost always going to have an edge, and that very good multiway hands (JTs, 88, etc) should be raised in many-handed pots is probably good enough. On the flop, just know that your bigger draws tend to come in over 1/3 of the time, possibly more if you have more than one draw (like a flush draw with middle pair and an overcard kicker). On the turn, usually the hand with the most equity is the best made hand.

EDIT: I'm a doofus, obviously the hand with the most equity on the river is the winning hand, which is at 100% unless there is a tie.

Felipe
10-25-2005, 02:28 AM
EDIT: I'm a doofus, obviously the hand with the most equity on the river is the winning hand, which is at 100% unless there is a tie.

but you don't know its 100%. You might have a 68% chance of winning even on the river. Depends on your opponent, your hand, and the board.

Xhad
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but you don't know its 100%. You might have a 68% chance of winning even on the river. Depends on your opponent, your hand, and the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you do. The best made hand is always the hand with the most equity, the detective work is in figuring out if your hand is the best made hand.