PDA

View Full Version : Boring 55's hand

fnord_too
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) wacki's version of bison (http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/tc.cgi)

UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t1000)
Button (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
BB (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, 4 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="black">(4 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets t40</font>, BB calls t40, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises to t80</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls t40, BB calls t40.

Turn: (t300) 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="black">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG+2 bets t55</font>, Hero calls t55, BB calls t55.

River: (t465) J /images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: t465

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 09:59 PM
That's a lot of interesting weak betting. Made the call down easy.

bluefeet
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a lot of interesting weak betting. Made the call down easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I'm wondering why you didn't value bet the river?

I'm the king of the weak "not the nut" OOP river check/call, but I can't imagine what beats you here.

With the lack of aggression on the turn (with the flopped FD), it's hard to put either one on a set (not to mention the flop).

Just curious.

fnord_too
10-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't think a lot beats me, but I prefer to check and try to snap off a bluff rather than be possibly, albeit unlikely, put to a tough decision against an unknown. Also, it is possible that villain has a 7 here and is being tricky.

edit - not likely, but possible. I love how big hands often go into massive underbet mode.

Edit 2 - and I might snap off a missed flush bluff.

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 10:32 PM
fnord, fwiw, that would have also been my line.

MegaBet
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I would bet the river.

bluefeet
10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a lot beats me, but I prefer to check and try to snap off a bluff rather than be possibly, albeit unlikely, put to a tough decision against an unknown. Also, it is possible that villain has a 7 here and is being tricky.

edit - not likely, but possible. I love how big hands often go into massive underbet mode.

Edit 2 - and I might snap off a missed flush bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see that. I'm just curious what others do here. I personally don't think I value bet enough. If villian showed a little more interest on the turn - a reason to believe he might fire a third time on the river...

Eh, no biggie. Just looking for some alternative thinking in this situation. Thx.

runner4life7
10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
i would also bet the river and i think bet 60-75 on the flop as opposed to 40, but I am perfectly fine with how you played it.

bigt439
10-24-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bluff is much more unlikely 3-way. Your line is better HU. With the weak ass betting so far a bluff is even more unlikely.

microbet
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't think I always play it the same, but I often bet the river.

KingDan
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I like a river bet here.

Otherwise NH

MegaBet
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bluff is much more unlikely 3-way. Your line is better HU. With the weak ass betting so far a bluff is even more unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

bigt439
10-24-2005, 11:52 PM
With 3 players in the pot, each of the 2 others combined are less likely to bluff 2 players than 1 of them would be to bluff 1 player IMO.

And since the opponents in this hand have played the hand very weakly I believe it less likely for one of them to bluff than if they had played it faster at some point.

adanthar
10-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Here is my problem with this line:

Flop: fine bet, BB calls, blah it's a minraise from a random ace, call, BB calls again. BB has a flush draw or 98 extremely often; when he doesn't, UTG+1 does.

Turn: OK, UTG+2 underbet so he probably has nothing. You also know at least one flush draw is out in a decent sized pot. This is a great spot for a semibluff CR, because some idiots will call with a weaker ace, flush draws will fold, and better aces might call but will shut down fearing a 7. If you are 3 bet, you can let it go.

Having just called the turn, value bet the river because lots and lots of aces are calling but will not bet.

SlackerMcFly
10-25-2005, 12:04 AM
It has been some time since I offered an analysis of a hand. Ridicule normally follows..... So anyway.

I like the line except for perhaps the check on the turn. If the 7 was scary to you, and UTG2 bets t200, you have to release the hand this early in the tourney.

First to act, I fire a t100 bet here to either push out the drawing hand, induce the over-bet so I can comfortably fold, or build the pot if I get 2 callers.

Checking the river is fine. No way TT or A7 would have gone this far w/out a decent raise on the flop/turn.

Call/raise their value bet if they come in on the river. Nice hand.

DonkMcSlack

tigerite
10-25-2005, 06:37 AM
I would not bet this flop OOP, I would check/call and when the turn came and paired the board I would definitely bet. Actually I would go as far as to say a bet is mandatory once the board pairs even with your line.

Actually with a hand as strong as AJ I probably would bet this flop, come to think of it. But not for a weak-ass 40.

10-25-2005, 07:51 AM
I thought you played it OK until I read adanthar's advice which I think is excellent. I have so much to learn, sigh.

fnord_too
10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
There is a lot of advocacy for a river value bet, and I think should have stuck out a small bet there, maybe 150 or so and fold to a raise. I think the fact that it is three way, as someone observed, makes this clear.

My real intent when playing marginal hands from the blinds post flop is to get to a showdown cheeply, that is, to try to keep the pot small. Lately, most of my leads or first ins post flop are 1/2 - 2/3 pot size at these levels. I think I am ahead on the flop and really don't want it to be checked through, would love some folds, and really really don't want someone taking the lead because no one else showed interest and escalating their bets. The mini raise is a bit odd, and I really don't know what I do if his turn bet is one that looks like it is building to putting his stack in on the river. Check raising here is just not something I like to do since it builds a big pot OOP with a marginal hand. (I don't think anyone suggested that, just thought I'd throw that out).

I will admit that I probably wouldn't have posted this if it wasn't for raptor's AJ from the blinds in an unraised (?) pot a while back where he flopped top pair and went check call, check fold. I think the set up was pretty similar, though I may be forgeting some key information from his hand, and this was essentially the flop line I was suggesting (leading out w/ 2/3 pot) so I figured I would post it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

MHIG, don't remember what cheese the two opponents had, but their hands were pretty sad. Definitely, I screwed up the river here.

(Asside: While trying to get the converter to work, I timed out on a QQ pre flop (YIKES!) and the flop was all spades with a Q. There was some heavyish action, but no showdown, so I really hope the winner of that hand flopped a flush. Damn quick timers on party really screwed me there, or did they?)