PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Circuit hand

Matt24
10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
$500 rebuy event. We started with $1500 chips, and I rebought right away, I also double added on. I had just lost 2300 chips about 3 minutes ago, and I was just moved to this table, and this is my first hand. I have $4700 in chips.

blinds 50/100
I am in the cutoff with ATo. It's folded to me and I raise to 300. Button calls, and bb calls.

Flop: T 7 2 with 2 hearts.

Big blind bets out 300, I make it 1000 to go, button moves all in for 3225, bb folds.

This was my first hand at this table but I did see the previous hand. villian raised in the small blind to 300, and big blind moved all in. Villian called with QT, and it was another 1500 or so chips to him. Naturally his QT sucked out.

Bigdaddydvo
10-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Matt-I fold and hate it with all the strength he's shown. He obviously wasn't phased by a bet and a raise.

So unless he has something like a FD and is the LAGiest player on the planet, I think you have to fold.

freehat
10-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Call, this guy would do this with a ten or flush draw.

betgo
10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Matt-I fold and hate it with all the strength he's shown. He obviously wasn't phased by a bet and a raise.

So unless he has something like a FD and is the LAGiest player on the planet, I think you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain probably wouldn't flat call a CO raise with JJ-AA, T7, T2, or 72. So really all you are worried about is a set. Villain could play a set aggressively with the 2-flush on the board.

Villain could also have a flush draw, maybe a strong one. OP is getting significant pot odd, so I don't think this is an easy fold.

Bigdaddydvo
10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain probably wouldn't flat call a CO raise with JJ-AA, T7, T2, or 72. So really all you are worried about is a set. Villain could play a set aggressively with the 2-flush on the board.

Villain could also have a flush draw, maybe a strong one. OP is getting significant pot odd, so I don't think this is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm I guess that could make A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif a possibility. Matt, do you remember if you had the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif in your hand?

Matt24
10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I didn't have the Ace of hearts.

TomHimself
10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
are you really considering AK /images/graemlins/heart.gif, you dont think he repops pf w/ AK after a CO raise?

betgo
10-24-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm I guess that could make AhKh a possibility. Matt, do you remember if you had the Ah in your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

AKs is pretty unlikely, as any reasonably good player would reraise CO preflop from button with AKs.

Likely hands for villain are TT, 77, or 22 for a set or AJs, ATs, KQs, KJs, KTs, QJs, QTs, JTs, J9s, 98s, T9s, T8s, 87s, 86s, 76s, 75s, A7s, or A2s.

From the way villain has played this and his most likely preflop holdings, a strong flush draw is most likely, in which case you are about even with significant pot odds.

Villain could have a flush draw without overcards, a straight draw, or a pair, but that is less likely, since most of villains suited hands lead to srrong draws, and from the way he played it. You are ahead 3-2 or 5-4 against a weaker draw.

A set, overpair or 2 pair are less likely than a flush draw. Since he went allin, this is definately possible. Against these hands, you are a big underdog.

Villain could also have a weaker ten or be bluffing. This is less likely, but possible. In this case, you are way ahead.

Given pot odds, and the likelihood of a lfush draw, I think you have to call, even though it seems dangerous.

Matt24
10-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I ended up calling. I may have been able to fold if I wouldnt have saw the previous hand, but with him calling off that many chips with QT, I thought he had a real wide range here. Unfortunately he had pocket Jacks and I failed to suckout.

Blindcurve
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Villain probably wouldn't flat call a CO raise with JJ-AA, T7, T2, or 72. So really all you are worried about is a set. Villain could play a set aggressively with the 2-flush on the board.

Villain could also have a flush draw, maybe a strong one. OP is getting significant pot odd, so I don't think this is an easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Add this to the fact that this is a rebuy event and the villain may not have slowed down yet and that the Villain has showed a willingness to gamble on marginal values, this is not at all an easy fold. FWIW, this is a pretty standard play with an overcard flush draw, but I've seen looser players make it with smaller flushes or second pair and a flush draw. I think the thing is, if you're behind, you don't have many redraws. If you're ahead, you're not far ahead.

I fold. I think the BB had hearts. I think you're behind here and I don't mind having 3400 at this level.

-D.

betgo
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
You were a 4-1 dog against JJ and you were getting slightly better than 2-1 pot odds. I still think you have to call at this point. JJ was certainly a possible hand.

Blindcurve
10-24-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You were a 4-1 dog against JJ and you were getting slightly better than 2-1 pot odds. I still think you have to call at this point. JJ was certainly a possible hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you think the question here is does this player make this bet from behind knowing he's going to get called? BB has already indicated some willingness to play, Hero says I've got a hand. I sometimes make the mistake of overplaying a flush draw into strength, but not often, and it's usually a check/raise.

Also, I don't understand why you say he has to call as a 4 to 1 dog here. Is it because he doesn't know he's that big a dog?
-D.

Bigdaddydvo
10-24-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you think the question here is does this player make this bet from behind knowing he's going to get called? BB has already indicated some willingness to play, Hero says I've got a hand. I sometimes make the mistake of overplaying a flush draw into strength, but not often, and it's usually a check/raise.

Also, I don't understand why you say he has to call as a 4 to 1 dog here. Is it because he doesn't know he's that big a dog?
-D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. JJ is in the range of hands we could put the villian on, so we don't know for sure that we're that far behind.

BTW, even w/JJ, facing a bet and a raise, what does everyone think of Villian's push here? I may lay JJ down in his spot...

betgo
10-24-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, even w/JJ, facing a bet and a raise, what does everyone think of Villian's push here? I may lay JJ down in his spot...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are weak/tight.

Blindcurve
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'd consider laying JJ down here. I've hit the flop I wanted. Especially if I have J /images/graemlins/heart.gif with one or the both of the players in front of me on a draw. I think Villain maybe wants to raise to get info, but any reasonable raise commits more than 1/2 his stack, so he pushes and maximizes value when he's ahead. He's only behind an AQ+ FD or a set/bigger pair. This seems like the type of player who might decide if he's beat he's beat, but he's hit his flop, keeping in mind his QT hand.

That's a little Monday morning QBing, but I still don't think JJ is a fold here.

-D