PDA

View Full Version : I almost hit a deer going 75

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Just got back from the grocery store, happened on my way there. I live in the country and was flying down a long straight road about 75 mph and a ficken huge 12 point buck jumped out in front of me. I hit the brake and swerve to the right to avoid it. I hit the shoulder of the road and quickly fling the wheel to the left. My car almost flips over and I jerk the wheel back again to the right. I almost go off the road and pull the car left again. A couple more juggles and I have the car back on the road and in control.

Needless to say I picked up a twelve pack I wasn't planning on getting. I think I'll take the night off hang out with my beer and of course all you fellow OOTiots. I still have an adreneline buzz. Whoooooooo!!!

Crimson
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Shoulda hit the dear, ate it, and shared the 12 pack.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shoulda hit the dear, ate it, and shared the 12 pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about mounting the rack.

Los Feliz Slim
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
You're supposed to go ahead and hit the thing, but a big animal like that might've come through the windshield and killed you anyway. So, nice work with the surviving there, guy.

What kind of beer?

RacersEdge
10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
This is the deer mating season, so there on the make fro some tail and not concentrating on the road. A guy at work was saying some stretch of road he was on had a dead deer every couple miles for like 200 miles. Hard to believe, but that's what he claims.

Duke
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I almost hit a deer going 75

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fast deer!

~D

tom441lbk
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just got back from the grocery store, happened on my way there. I live in the country and was flying down a long straight road about 75 mph and a ficken huge 12 point buck jumped out in front of me. I hit the brake and swerve to the right to avoid it. I hit the shoulder of the road and quickly fling the wheel to the left. My car almost flips over and I jerk the wheel back again to the right. I almost go off the road and pull the car left again. A couple more juggles and I have the car back on the road and in control.

Needless to say I picked up a twelve pack I wasn't planning on getting. I think I'll take the night off hang out with my beer and of course all you fellow OOTiots. I still have an adreneline buzz. Whoooooooo!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, 12pt....I'm probably saying 10pt tops

on a related note, a buddy and I were driving out in the country one time and it has just gotten dark outside as we left to head for home. On the way home as we are conversing over trivial matters my buddy realizes(he is driving) that we are about to hit a cow,OMGWTF sonuvaAHHHHHH, as he swerves into the other lane and narrowly avoids hitting the cow, needless to say we were very shook up.

I would rate these kinds of things as semi-traumatic experiences that affect you very deeply at the time, but not over the long run

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're supposed to go ahead and hit the thing, but a big animal like that might've come through the windshield and killed you anyway. So, nice work with the surviving there, guy.

What kind of beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

That deer was tall enough that it definetly would have gone through the windshield and I would have 12 holes in me right now.

6 pack of Becks and 6 pack of Fosters.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, 12pt....I'm probably saying 10pt tops

on a related note, a buddy and I were driving out in the country one time and it has just gotten dark outside as we left to head for home. On the way home as we are conversing over trivial matters my buddy realizes(he is driving) that we are about to hit a cow,OMGWTF sonuvaAHHHHHH, as he swerves into the other lane and narrowly avoids hitting the cow, needless to say we were very shook up.

I would rate these kinds of things as semi-traumatic experiences that affect you very deeply at the time, but not over the long run

[/ QUOTE ]

I was definetly a 12 pointer, it was the biggest deer I've ever seen.

I live in northern Wisconsin. There are more deer up here than in any other part of the country I've heard. With all the cornfields they get big as well. That said, I'm used to it. It's a common occurence around here. It wasn't traumatic but kind of fun. There's nothing better than a near miss fatal accident.

jon_1van
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I have a similar story

I was on I64 (in VA) driving home for Thanksgiving a few years ago at 11pm on Wed. The road was completely empty. I'm going 90...decide I'm going to fast...slow down to 80. A mile later there is a deer in the left lane. I swerve, miss the deer.

At this point the whole thing slows down. I look out my window (turn my head 90 degrees left) and see the road coming at me as if I'm looking out my windshield. Now everything goes black (I later deduce that this is when I'm looking at the sky because my car is in midroll)....next thing I know I hear LOUD ass banging. I close my eyes. A little while later after the banging stops I open my eyes and punch what I'm looking at. I'm looking at the ceiling. Then I think, "Why am I looking at the ceiling.....oh [censored]...I'm upsidedown." I take off my seatbelt. Fall to the roof of my car. And then .... I try to turn off the radio, which was still on. Once I get the radio off I crawl out of the driverside window, which conviently disappeared.

I get out of the car. It is obieterated. No window is in tack. No piece of metal isn't mangled bad. The wheels are bent in at 45 degree angles (cars don't like going 60/70 mph perpendicular to the direction the tires spin).

I however, have a slight bruise from my lapbelt. There is also a pretty big gash on my leg that I didn't notice for about 20 minutes. The gash was 1/4 inch deep, but it didn't hurt at all because I was on an adrenaline high.

Best part is, the deer got hit by the pickup behind me and died.

I have always worn my seatbelt, but now I think they are awesome.

I'm glad you kept control of your car, And I'm glad no one was hurt

P.S. were your seat belt, it +EV

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Wow. Cool story, I'm glad you weren't badly hurt. I was probobly milliseconds away from doing just what you did. Had that deer jumped out a little sooner or if I reacted a little faster I would have rolled my car.

I do think that I would have rather rolled my car than hit the deer. I have a low riding coupe and the deer was very tall for a deer. The first thought I had was "that will decapitate me if I hit it."

Cubswin
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I was definetly a 12 pointer, it was the biggest deer I've ever seen.

I call BS... not even a cheesehead can count points at this speed

tek
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in northern Wisconsin. There are more deer up here than in any other part of the country I've heard. With all the cornfields they get big as well. However, all the cheese they eat makes them get constipated, which makes it nasty to field dress them. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jon_1van
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Did things slow down for you?

If you have space to roll (ie won't stop suddenly when you hit a tree) I think rolling would be best, assumeing you have a seat belt on.

I think my car traveled quite a bit, no sudden stop for me

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did things slow down for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, very much so. I had that thought about the deer decapitating be in probobly like the span of 1/20th of a second. As I was gaining control of my car everything was very clear and it seemed to take 5 minutes when I probobly took only a couple of seconds. The whole thing is also etched in my mind. I can replay it as if I was watching a movie. This is why, despite some haters, I am positive it was a 12 pointer. I can remember it's rack better than I can remember my exgirlfriend's.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:57 PM
FIB /images/graemlins/wink.gif