PDA

View Full Version : How to Stop Worrying and Start Living

clambunny
10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671733354/102-6766082-2217753?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glanc e), by Dale Carnegie. This book is about exactly what it says, whether you worry a lot or just a little bit this is an excellent book. The thinking and ideas in it are simple but that is what great truths are, obvious once said. There are a lot of ideas on how to frame things or think about things differently where your reaction will be, WHAM, "of course that's how to think about it." Highly highly recommended.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm a big fan of thinking for yourself and not depending on guys like Dale Carnegie, Tony Robbins, or L. Ron Hubbard to tell you how to think.

sublime
10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of thinking for yourself and not depending on guys like Dale Carnegie, Tony Robbins, or L. Ron Hubbard to tell you how to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but your a successfull guy and I will assume a 'go getter' by nature, of course a book like this will make no sense/serve no purpose to you.

Like, if somebody told me to read "how to be fat and still grab hot snapper" i would think he was an idiot.

My personal favorite, is the Magic Of Thinking Big, by David Scwartz. Awesome book.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Great book. It's not fair to lump Carnegie with Tony Robbins or Hubbard. He also is the author of "How to Win Friends and Influence People". That is the best book on how to cope and get along with people. Anyone who manages employees absolutly needs to read that book.

This is the second most powerful book I've ever read after Phychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. How to Win Friends and Influence People is 3rd on my list.

Yeti
10-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I think I may pick up Psychocybernetics. If it's bad I'm blaming you.

clambunny
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diablo, some smart people came up with ways to deal with worrying and in this book their ways of thinking on it are presented. i wouldn't characterize that as being told how to think. it is more about learning from other people, there is nothing wrong with that.

masse75
10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
You gotta keep livin', man. L-I-V-I-N.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also blame 52 reviewers on Amazon who give it an average of 5 stars.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying that is the case here, but a lot of the Amazon rating stuff is rigged. Just FYI.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diablo, some smart people came up with ways to deal with worrying and in this book their ways of thinking on it are presented. i wouldn't characterize that as being told how to think. it is more about learning from other people, there is nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of thing just happens to be something where I think figuring out as much of this for yourself as possible is a really positive thing.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I've read How to Influence.. and understand why a lot of people like it. Overall, I haven't been that impressed by people who are fans of that book and associated seminars. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but I find a certain type of person to be most attracted to these types of books and this type of person isn't usually the most free-thinking type. Just my experience w/ limited sample size.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I see what you're saying, but see my other posts. I am just not a big fan of trying to get direction on "how to think about things" from books.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying that is the case here, but a lot of the Amazon rating stuff is rigged. Just FYI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a good point. It's pretty obvious who is and who isn't a shill however if you read the reviews. This book was published in 1960 and is considered a classic in the self help genre. I learned about it when I went to a convention for Financial Planners and one of the speakers, who had eight figure commission earnings for the year. He said "Powerful people read powerful books." That's what sold it for me.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He said "Powerful people read powerful books." That's what sold it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha. Him saying that would have had the opposite effect on me.

TStoneMBD
10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
would you mind telling me why youre posting on this account? you can pm me if you want im just entirely confused and curious. you can pm me if you dont want to share your name.

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you not see any benefit of reading good books which have edified many of brightest and most successful people in the world? I do not doubt that you are unusually wise for your age but why not learn from others who are much more experienced and bright enough to be respected by many many briliant people?

RacersEdge
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of thing just happens to be something where I think figuring out as much of this for yourself as possible is a really positive thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this type of philosophy, because these type of books just give you some idea to think about - not really what to think. Really, that's what all books try to do. You can let them affect you as much or as little as you want.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you not see any benefit of reading good books which have edified many of brightest and most successful people in the world? I do not doubt that you are unusually wise for your age but why not learn from others who are much more experienced and bright enough to be respected by many many briliant people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read tons of books, many of which have to do with schools of thought or ways of thinking. There is just something about many "self-help" books/systems that turn me off. I have read a number of the books in this thread, and have also done a fair amount of study regarding Scientology, Personal Power, Landmark, and all sorts of other good stuff like that.

The main point of my last response, though, was that I generally find people who say things like "Powerful people read powerful books" to be pretty silly.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this type of philosophy, because these type of books just give you some idea to think about - not really what to think. Really, that's what all books try to do. You can let them affect you as much or as little as you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree w/ you at all RE, and for that reason have read many of these books. I was specifically reacting to OP's statement:

There are a lot of ideas on how to frame things or think about things differently where your reaction will be, WHAM, "of course that's how to think about it."

Reading to get other perspectives is very healthy. Reading books to go "WHAM, THAT'S HOW I SHOULD THINK ABOUT THAT STUFF," imo, isn't.

DarkForceRising
10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I suppose nuggets of wisdom are to be found in books like this. Personal experience, however, has always resulted in nothing more than temporary high- soon again remembering that life is [censored].

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I guess you're right. Looking at it now it really was an arrogant [censored] remark. At the time I was a fresh under the collar financial planner in awe of the commission leader within our marketing association. Then I got the book and it was great and the remark stuck in my mind as a good quip.

Along these lines you might apreciate this. This was a seminar of FP's who are associated with the same marketing company. We all pay this company thousands and some tens of thousands of dollars every month to set us up with people for our seminars. The CEO of the marketing company was also a FP and many of the people at the seminar treated him like a god. It was very sad. One of the guys bought him a 30,000 rolex watch another bought him a classic corvette. We are making this guy tens of millions of dollars a year through marketing costs and commisions he gets off our sales and some donks buy him these extravagent gifts on top of it.

RacersEdge
10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree w/ you at all RE, and for that reason have read many of these books. I was specifically reacting to OP's statement:

There are a lot of ideas on how to frame things or think about things differently where your reaction will be, WHAM, "of course that's how to think about it."

Reading to get other perspectives is very healthy. Reading books to go "WHAM, THAT'S HOW I SHOULD THINK ABOUT THAT STUFF," imo, isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. I'm not a fan of brainwashing either. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

clambunny
10-24-2005, 10:16 PM
okay diablo here is another thought, what do you think of this one... i took a test in high school that said i was concrete sequential, my friend took the same test and he is a abstract random. when we talk about things this becomes very apparent, he is a philosophy major always talking about things in those terms and i'm always trying to bring it down to real world examples and extrapolate from those specific examples. he said that i'm not as creative a thinker as him. i think maybe this is true, i'm most comfortable learning other peoples thoughts and going from there.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm most comfortable learning other peoples thoughts and going from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would gain a lot from challenging yourself to go beyond this.

Overdrive
10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
or just do like the ancient sage said and: "Eat, drink, and be merry. For tommorrow we die."

It works. And quicker than reading a whole book....

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or just do like the ancient sage said and: "Eat, drink, and be merry. For tommorrow we die."

It works. And quicker than reading a whole book....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the bible you are quoting sort of. That is advice that Solomon gives nonbelievers because after this life they haven't much to look forward for. It's really a melancholy axiom. However, I thik it's pretty good advice for everyone with one caveot: just don't drink to the point where you need it. Also, listen to tripping billies, DMB. Good song.

Matt Flynn
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've read How to Influence.. and understand why a lot of people like it. Overall, I haven't been that impressed by people who are fans of that book and associated seminars. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but I find a certain type of person to be most attracted to these types of books and this type of person isn't usually the most free-thinking type. Just my experience w/ limited sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the Dale Carnegie course in human relations and public speaking on scholarship in early high school and found the crib sheet "golden book" or whatever it was called to be the most useful aspect. In retrospect some of the advice is ridiculously straightforward, but then the package proved quite useful. The seminar overall was less so. I was a bit put off by the whole how-to-remember-names crap. Carnegie was gifted at it and like a great many people with gifts preferred to think of it as a skill instead of a talent, rendering himself virtuous instead of blessed or lucky.

I have listened to a couple Anthony Robbins tapes and found them annoying and unhelpful, although I was amused by "It helps to arrive at your problems in a limousine."

Self-help books can be divided into naval-gazing and useful concrete information / strategies /etc. The naval-gazing books are more plentiful and give the whole thing a bad rap. The best self-help book I have read was Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In. I still suck at negotiation, but I suck a lot less.

MyTurn2Raise
10-25-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm a huge fan of John Maxwell, though I'm athiest...go figure.

His books are great for working with others, getting the most out of others, and getting the most out of yourself.
My favorite is "Failing Forward." The "21 Laws of Leadership" was also excellent.

I read a self-help book every other week or so. At the very least, it gives me material to use to inflate the self-esteem of lonely college freshman girls.

jokerthief
10-25-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge fan of John Maxwell, though I'm athiest...go figure.

His books are great for working with others, getting the most out of others, and getting the most out of yourself.
My favorite is "Failing Forward." The "21 Laws of Leadership" was also excellent.

I read a self-help book every other week or so. At the very least, it gives me material to use to inflate the self-esteem of lonely college freshman girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? What does John Maxwell have to do with this thread? Please elucidate.

TheWorstPlayer
10-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Getting Past No was also quite good. I don't suck at negotiating and never really did but I improved a lot from reading those two books in a negotiation class.

KaneKungFu123
10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
just watch fight club.

KaneKungFu123
10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
whenever you feel like reading one of these books just go and actually do something meaningful and exciting. Don't think about things, just do them.

felson
10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
This "thinking for yourself" idea sounds interesting. If only someone would write a book and tell me how to do it...

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whenever you feel like reading one of these books just go and actually do something meaningful and exciting. Don't think about things, just do them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that when it comes right down to it, KKF seems to be so much more together than so many people on this forum.

clambunny
10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
KKF is the man. Plus as long as you are bumping this thread, your last response to me: point taken, but I still think people have different thinking styles. i guess not much to say, other than the different ways of thinking does count for something in how someoen goes about learnign something

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KKF is the man. Plus as long as you are bumping this thread, your last response to me: point taken, but I still think people have different thinking styles. i guess not much to say, other than the different ways of thinking does count for something in how someoen goes about learnign something

[/ QUOTE ]

People have different thinking styles, yes. But I definitely believe that people can learn to expand the ways they are able to think. I think you have potential young clambunny, challenge yourself more.

Matt Flynn
10-25-2005, 09:56 PM
He is actually an angry 43-year-old lesbian. Makes sense when you think about it.