PDA

View Full Version : Fidelity

Aloysius
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Couple posts on the board right now got me thinking of the issue of fidelity in relationships (marriage, whatever, just what's ostensibly a committed relationship that is not "open). But let's stick with marriage.

I've been in 2 long term committed relationships (5-year, 8.5 year). Maybe I was just lucky, but neither of them cheated on me (to my knowledge). Cheating / other guy not reason for break-up.

Because of this - I would assume that I would have to believe that there is a 0% chance of the woman cheating on me, before marrying her.

Is this the case for most men / women? And, if this is not the case (which I suspect, it's not the case) what is the acceptability threshhold of % cheating in your soon-to-be-spouse?

Or is this just something that most people don't think about too much before getting married, and deal with it as it comes?

nothumb
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
There is no way you can assign someone a zero percent chance of cheating on you, unless you plan to shackle her to the stove and lock your doors. Which, come to think of it, doesn't sound half bad.

Aloysius
10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way you can assign someone a zero percent chance of cheating on you, unless you plan to shackle her to the stove and lock your doors. Which, come to think of it, doesn't sound half bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - that's incredibly naive / unlikely to assume 0%.

But it's funny to hear the responses from my buddies I've asked these questions-

Q: "What's the % chance your avg. american woman cheats on her husband?"
A: "I donno dude, like 40%?"

Q: "What's the % chance your wife cheats on you?"
A: "Dude, well, she never would, seriously I know it sounds weird but I think it's like 0.01%"

Irieguy
10-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Dude...

Studies on couples seeking treatment for infertility have shown that there is a 25% false paternity rate.

That means that if you take a "happy" couple that is actively trying to have a child together, there is a 25% chance that hubby ain't daddy.

In every well-run study where care was taken to assure anonymity among subjects, over 50% of women admit to being unfaithful in at least one relationship in their lives, and over a third admit to being unfaithful in their current relationship.

I once took care of a pregnant patient who was a nun pregnant by her sister's husband. And believe me, the sister would tell you there was a zero percent chance that her husband was sleeping with her nun sister.

The fact is, no matter who you are and no matter who your girlfriend/wife is... you are a slight favorite to be cuckolded, and huge dog to ever find out about it.

Irieguy

Skipbidder
10-25-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I once took care of a pregnant patient who was a nun pregnant by her sister's husband.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad beat.

10-25-2005, 01:17 AM
If you'd like to hear first-hand experience, keep reading. If not, move on. And this is not a brag post. I'm not proud of what I did. It happened and I learned from it.

I've been married 45+ years. Somewhere around the cliched 7th year I got the itch. And I scratched it for the next 15 or so years. Only a few times was the lady not married. Most of them you'd have sworn were happily married. And every single one of them complained about their lack of interesting sex, if any at all, with their husbands.

They were bored in the bedroom. That's all it was. They weren't looking for any guy to run off with. They just wanted what they weren't getting at home.

It's always gunna take two to do the nasty. Women have desires and needs just like guys. And given the right time and the right place, even with the wrong guy, they might be tempted. Not all of them do. No way.

I sincerely hope you find your lady and you appreciate what you have. I sincerely hope you don't take as long as I did to get where I am now in my marriage. I thank God for her, her love and especially her patience.

When we met she thought I was a Greek god. I showed her I was just another goddammed Greek. But, like I said, she got over it.

Good luck and God bless.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jokerthief
10-25-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've been married 45+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the oldest member of 2+2. How old are you and how did someone of your age understand how to make an avatar?