PDA

View Full Version : Friends can be so harsh...

10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Do you guys find it easier or harder to play correct at a poker game (cash-ring-live-NL or Limit-10 handed-Vegas) with other friends at the table?

I prefer it because my friends and I help each-other discuss what we did right/wrong with our play.... but sometimes it's really difficult.

I don't want to get into a discussion about collusion and all that crap... I'm just talking correct play.

Your thoughts?

10-24-2005, 06:51 PM
i find i play my best in the prescence of those that respect me. Almost like i have to live up the their expectations.
Most of my friends come to me for advice though, so it may be different with friends that play on the same level.

10-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I find the same think... in NL I don't make bad over-calls with one pair, and in Limit I don't call two bets with shat hands like K-10 when my friends are watching.

It's almost like you're shammed into playing straight up.

Vincent Lepore
10-24-2005, 07:27 PM
You are naive if you believe that most, maybe all, relationships are not affected by competition. Certainly respect either positive or negative for the opponent is a direct result of competition and has an effect on friendship. But more importantly more marriges have been destroyed because of issus with money, I bet the same can be said of friendship at a poker table. A prime example is taken from the Howard Lederrer - Annie Duke confrontation. Here we had Brother and sister playing in a winner take it all tournament for 2 million dollars. Howard goes all in with 77 and Annie calls with 6,6 and wins the hand, knocking Howard out. After the match Howard changed his name to Lederrer from Duke. He no longer considers annie his sister. Very sad.

Vince

Smoothcall
10-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I have to say i play better. You are shamed into playing your best. Or to live up to the reputation.

Smoothcall
10-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Also they may see something you are doing wrong that you can improve.

ZenMusician
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the match Howard changed his name to Lederrer from Duke. He no longer considers annie his sister. Very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend brushing up on:

1.) the concept of linear time
2.) the tradition regarding marriage and maiden names in the US
3.) poker and poker culture from a non-TV source

Please don't post this trash

-ZEN

Vincent Lepore
10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it that these are your initials and in no way indicate your philosophy. I meant it as a joke. Get a life.

Vince

ZenMusician
10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

-ZEN