PDA

View Full Version : Dog's Stomach Contents

03-07-2002, 08:33 PM
My dog likes to chew stuff. He has gotten better about eating the house, electrical cords, food bowls, and ballistic nylon stuff. But he still enjoys chewing stuff and can demolish a toy in short order should he choose to. We saw something on TV about a company that makes indestructible dog toys. They have a Rottweiler who loves to chew assist them in testing. So we ordered one. It lasted 5-10 minutes. The only things we found that he won't destroy are stuffed dogs. He loves these things called Green Dogs. They are little dogs with a barking box inside. He will treat them like a pet after removing the ears, tail, and sometimes nose. He will carry them around, play with them, and bathe them sometimes. They will last a couple weeks until he gets tired of them and kills them. This he accomplishes by a general tearing and gutting which leaves white stuffing everywhere. He will sometimes then want to keep the dead body, but not always. He will chew on, but not eat, remnants. Or so I thought.

I found a big hunk of stomach contents on the rug today. A cursory inpection revealed a butter wrapper and a Green Dog head. Near the scene of this physical evidence was a decapitated Green Dog. My dog is an idiot. FWIW.

03-07-2002, 10:52 PM
My dog is an idiot.

What do you expect from a Republican dog?

03-07-2002, 11:09 PM
How do you know he agrees with me on politics? He's not that dumb.

03-07-2002, 11:32 PM

03-08-2002, 12:28 AM
My dog is an idiot. FWIW.

??? Hey, don't knock it if you haven't tried.

I wish I could tell you how to stop a cribbing dog. I know how destructive it is, and sooner or later they get hold of the wrong thing and do themselves serious harm.

03-08-2002, 01:08 AM
HDPM,

Try Kong products. They make balls that will last for quite some time, and our pit bull proved it. Pet stores will replace at no charge if the dog destroys the ball. In fact, Bella developed a bleeding stomach from chewing through marrow bones, but she never destroyed the Kong balls.

We had to put Bella down two weeks ago when she attacked another dog. We knew we would lose her at a town hearing, so we had no choice, and we were concerned she would accidently hurt someone while going for another dog. Unfortunately, Bella's leash did not work well, and she snapped the hook and the end of the leash at once.

She ripped open the other dog's leg, and did some damage to its neck. About a week later, we received a call from the other dog's owner. Although we expected the worse, the man simply called to say how sorry he was that we had to put our dog down. When we asked him to send the vet bill to us, he refused and said we had lost enough already.

We now have an eight week old Boston Terrier--a bit easier for Mary to handle--but losing Bella stills hurts a lot.

John

03-08-2002, 01:25 AM
Sorry about losing your dog. It is rough.

We do have one Kong item - one of those Michelin Man things that can be stuffed with food that will keep them busy for a while. (One of the cures for our dog's diagnosed separation anxiety. We only had him on dog prozak for a while, but we still have a Kong. Yes, he gets more medical care than we do.) It has lasted for a while with the exception of a chunk or two, but he doesn't have as much fun with it.

For the new dog try something called a Halti. Our vet recommended it to walk ours who is a puller on the order of a sled dog. It fits around the top of their snout and the back of their head - where mom bites them. If a dog starts to pull away, their head is pulled to the side and they just sort of spin. They also have a psychological connection because of how mom grabbed them apparrently. More effective and less brutal than a choke collar. Helps teaching them to sit and heel too. Mine might learn yet. Yeah, right.

03-08-2002, 05:23 AM
My dog's name is Ruckus and he is deserving of the name. He likes to destroy things too but I've gotten him some acceptable fake bones that he knows are ok to chew on (not rawhide). The only time he chews things now is when he wants me to play with him. I take him for a long walk in a nearby park just about everyday and am amazed and sometimes envious of how much he enjoys being out in the fresh air, walking, sniffing, and checking things out.

03-08-2002, 08:41 AM
hey, dogs can detect carcinoma in their human friends, sense when a seizure is going to occur and warn their simple minded human friend to duck for cover...can sense in difficult to control diabetes when a severe glycemic change is starting..who is smart and who is dumb...

fwiw, how many robberies or murders have occurred since fido on patrol...yeah 100% efficiency...fido deserves a raise...gl

03-08-2002, 09:02 AM

03-08-2002, 10:44 AM
my condolences..when i lost my dog a few years ago, it was sad for about a week, no shutdown, but the gr8 thing about pooches is that in general you do not have regrets, at least i remember the sweet things, and also where she chewed the legs on the chair i sit...she really wanted my attention..silly me..

thanks for the airport info and offer...it looks now that there is going to be a mini-family reunion that time and my plans have changed....still someday, john cole, there will be a strange player cracking your hands...you all will see...gl

03-08-2002, 12:08 PM
My dog does a pretty good job of heeling when not on the leash. Put her on the leash and she pulls.

Have a hard rubber bone that she has not been able to destroy. Not her favorite. Tennis balls and the frisbe seem to be items of choice.

Mine will eat most anything also. Competes with the birds for sunflower seeds under the feeders.

03-08-2002, 12:17 PM
I can only imagine what a rush it must be for my dog when I take her fishing with me. I too am a bit envious though I get pretty excited myself.

03-08-2002, 02:19 PM
I borrowed a copy of "Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower" and my dog ate the first 20 pages. I never knew that she was so patriotic. Cost me $16.95. Why couldn't she have chewed on HPFAP? Rogue State was a crappy book that (among other things) claimed that dogs could be trained to rape women, and that the Americans were behind it.

We got the Ultra King Kong big dog toy for our dogs. It's the black one. You can stuff a milk bone into it and they go to town trying to empty it. It used to be a challenge, but now they empty it withing minutes. If your dog can destroy one of those, I'd be seriously impressed.