PDA

View Full Version : Convergence of some Stats

hobbsmann
10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about the rate of convergence of various PT related stats that are helpful while at the table and after some searching didn't find anything of great value. Does anybody have an older link to something that for example quantifies how quickly a stat like WTSD converges to something worthwhile as far as reads go on opponents?

Also Jeff W. posted the following request to CMI in the Tiger Woods stat post and I don't believe there was ever an analysis done. I would love if somebody want to pick up the project....

"CallMeIshmael,

Would it be difficult for you to compute baseline SD values for all of the stats you presented? I.E. What is the average SD/100 of a stat like W$SD. Also, what is the standard deviation of the standard deviation of a stat like W$SD. I have always wanted to determine those values for 15/30 full ring and 10/20 6-max, because it would aid PT reads, but I do not have any statistical/database analysis software. "

jason_t
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but CallMeIshmael passed away recently. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

istewart
10-24-2005, 07:00 PM
You can find CallMeIshmael here, Mon-Fri, 7-12.:

http://www.thesportsrag.com/003_Images/ramrodlogo.jpg

Soviet Exile
10-24-2005, 07:29 PM
AM or PM?

hobbsmann
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
If anybody has anything serious to say about that might cool....

Another interesting stats tidbit I just ran across from a Nate Tha' Great post:

"4. It's a little pet issue of mine, but I'm convinced that showdown % is the most misleading statistic in poker, and a player maintaining a showdown % of 58.7 percent over 23,000 hands may be missing some postflop opportunities.

5. My #'s are as follows ... these are actually a bit out of date since I have a bunch of hand histories that I've yet to upload, but should be more or less accurate. This is from 10/20 only, and only when there are exactly 6 players seated.

Nate: 26 / 15 / 46 / 50 "

(It should be noted that he was commenting on a ZeeJustin post where he listed his numbers as 34.6/58.7 and Nate means W$SD in point 4 not WTSD)

The last two numbers are WTSD/W$SD. WTSD seems way high to me as most 2+2ers run around 33-37 (mine was 36 for a 30k 6max sample with a 52 or so W$SD). Considering all the SDs Nate saw I'm pretty suprised (well not really Nate is a badass) that is W$SD is still has high as it is. Anyway thoughts on what drives WTSD up over 40 for a winning player? Lots more call downs with A/K/Q high? Are these stats even applicable for full ring players (excerpt taken from HUSH archives)?

W. Deranged
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
You really /images/graemlins/heart.gif Nate. I think you want to have his kids.

tiltaholic
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
is this something like what you're looking for?

converging PT stats (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2194406)