PDA

View Full Version : Surely this is correct...

Pirc Defense
06-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Similar to my last post.

I'm in the BB with 33 and it's folded to the SB who completes. I check. Right?

Flop comes AxQ, he checks, I bet and take it down.

It was correct to not raise preflop in this example, no?

Ed Miller
06-09-2003, 04:08 AM
I would often raise in this spot, especially if the SB is somewhat likely to release preflop to the raise. If he releases even a moderate minority of the time, you will show an automatic profit by raising any two cards in this spot... and 33 is way better than just any two cards. Furthermore, your preflop raise will misrepresent your hand somewhat and also might cause your opponent to check-fold if he misses the flop.

But if you think there is zero chance that the SB will release to the raise, it is probably better just to check in this spot.

Pirc Defense
06-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the reply majorkong.

I think it would be rare at my level to find a SB that completes and then folds to a raise by the BB. But you're absolutely correct...I think a raise here would have been much better, even if the SB wouldn't release a decent amount of the time.

The Dude
06-09-2003, 07:40 PM
I would virtually always raise with this hand. Heads up you are even a favorite over AK, which he probobly would have raised with. So against hands he's only willing to complete with, you are most likely ahead already. Add to that your increased ability to pick off the pot without a showdown, and it is an easy +EV play to raise.

If you are playing B&M, then you are probably better off offering a chop before he completes, though. Online rakes are smaller, but at a 2-4 game B&M the rake/ jackpot drop is usually around $3. So in this situation, you would have paid a $2BB and only taken down a $1 pot.