PDA

View Full Version : AM I TOO TIGHT?

hbgolfpro
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
In HPFAP, Sklansky on page 27 writes "you can play all hands in groups 1-5 when the game is typical or TOUGH". Now that being said, group 5 hands include Q9s, T8s, 76s, 97s, and even 65s. I realize that different situations call for different actions, but being that David described the game as typical or TOUGH, I can honestly say that I do not ever come into a pot in middle position...ie 4 seats to the left of the BB...with 97s, 76s, 65s etc. I play 15-30 or 20-40 live everyday and I would not enter the pot with 97s or 65s sitting in middle position with one or two limpers in front of me. And remember, David plainly states this is acceptable even when the game is TOUGH. He did not refer to the game as having to be a berry patch for this to hold true. So I ask am I playing too tightly? Am I missing out on winnning opportunities?

DMBFan23
10-24-2005, 04:51 PM
in poker essays, mason writes that he thinks HPFAP might make people too loose because of precisely this. he gives the example of Q5s on the button, and says many people will go on to infer that it's always playable, and will play it in the wrong spots. I think all they're saying is that there are times when it's playable, and you should look for those spots carefully as opposed to painting by number, as it were. I know this doesn't help a whole lot, but maybe it would help if I told you I wouldn't raise 65s in MP either? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheHammer24
10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't think you can open limp with any of those hands. they are generally only appropriate with some limpers and reasonably passive players still to act.

W. Deranged
10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Don't use the HPFAP lists. Those are basically "best case scenario" lists, and it is much more to your advantage to understand pre-flop play situationally. Read SSH and the posts on this board and you'll get a sense of the ways in which we tend to make pre-flop decisions.