PDA

View Full Version : My biggest weak-tight play ever....

kurto
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
$50 Party NL

(all stacks approx... though they are proportionately correct)
Hero (sb seat 1) $140
V1 (seat 3) $40
V2 (seat 4) $60
V3 (seat 6) $26
V4 (seat 9) $30

Limited reads: V1 who is a moronic LAG... he minraises any hand he plays in. V4 bought in for $25 and has been fairly passive preflop. In general, the table is relatively passive (save for the minraising idiot)...

v1 minraises to $1. V2 raises to $3. V3 calls. V4 raises to $9. Hero has pocket queens in SB.

Hero folds.

What does everyone think? I'll tell you my thoughts and everyone can call me a wuss or whatever...

What I liked about my hand:
1) I have queens.
What I hated about my hand:
1) I'm out of position
2) though the first raise is almost negligable, the hand has been 3 bet by someone who I haven't seen do that yet.
3) Stack sizes: Because of the size of the three bet, I'm not going to have pot odds to play this for set value against this player should it go heads up. Its either all in or fold. But if I go all in, I'm likely to be called only by 1 of the 2 hands I fear is out there...
4) If v2 (2nd raiser who reraised from UTG+1) or v3 (who smoothcalled 2 bet and, note, has a smaller stack) like their hand enough to play, then I see a likely all in
5) considering the stack sizes of V3 and V4, I assume regardless of the flop, if either of them are in the hand preflop and don't go all in, one of the other is definitely pushing on the flop.

I really thought the only thing that I would feel comfortable with on the flop is a set. Since a 3rd bet was rare... the odds that I was ahead seemed pale.

PinkSteel
10-24-2005, 03:23 PM
So V1's raise can be ignored. V3 and V4 are shortstacked, so their calling/raising range widens up a lot.

V4 clearly is looking to be all in on the flop, but wouldn't he be doing that with a lot of hands you beat?

I think the fold is good, but I also think a raise to $30, putting V3 and V4 all-in now, might also be good. V1 will fold. V2 is the worry, but I might take the risk, hope he folds, call a push.

DeathbySuckout
10-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I like the fold for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Your playing for set value, your not closing the betting, your out of position, there is no way this hand ends without people pushing their stacks. I like the fold. Let them fight it out.

10-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I like it. And play it the same as you did.

I've ranted about this before, but I hate the way people use weak-tight around here. It's as if you have to dump off half your stack to someone before you're allowed to fold. I think there's a big difference between between weak-tight and prudent. I agree the miniraise was nothing, but then a real raise and a real reraise makes folding queens here prudent, not weak-tight. Good fold.