PDA

View Full Version : $55: A Turn Play

downtown
10-24-2005, 02:19 PM
$55 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t1585)
UTG (t210)
MP (t3940)
Button (t2365)
SB (t1900)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150.

Turn: (t600) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>...

I'll often push into the completed SB, but this SB is tighter than average, so I didn't.

I called the flop to set up a turn play to a check / small bet, and fold to a pot-sized bet. Clubs hit... ok.

So my play on the turn,

1) Do this? Don't do this?

2) Typically if I'm gonna make a play at the turn I will push in this spot, but I've been experiementing with small / just above mini-raises against weak/tight players. Merit? Just FPS? Thoughts?

downtown
10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Ehh, maybe this hand isn't interesting at all. I'll bump it anyway, though.

10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I have been experimenting with this sort of play myself lately as well. I usually try this in deeper stacked 1500 tourneys on FT, as you have more chips to play around with. As you said, this play is best against a weak tight player. Was this your read on villain? Had you seen him continually make minbets and then give up if he encountered resistance or was raised? Also, this play I have found to be generally more successful if the villain bets at the flop, I call with trash, and he checks to me on the turn. The villain here is still showing some interest in the hand, albeit a minbet. Sometimes you need to learn to deal with such annoying small bets and not always try to take it away from them. All that being said, I think your best bet for getting him to fold is to move all in, and to do it relatively quickly after he bets, like you were waiting for it.

pineapple888
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
FPS.

You're putting a move on a tight player who has you covered that likes his hand enough to bet it twice?

I mean, yeah, it's a scare card, and maybe it worked, but with 9bb left, I just fold on the turn, and almost certainly on the flop. You're in great shape to wait for a premium hand to get ITM, why screw around?

bigt439
10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I personally raise on the flop and don't put any more chips in after that. I don't see why you're waiting to bloat the pot to make your raise, because you'll have to invest more / will give him great odds. There aren't a lot of cards you like to see on the turn, but you're often good on the flop, so why not raise and end the hand there or find out you're beat relatively cheaply? Your small turn raise is kinda dumb with three to a suit out and no club.