PDA

View Full Version : Terminology: Donkeys

10-24-2005, 02:15 PM
when did the term donkeys first start replacing fish? i first heard matusow mention it in the 2003 (i think) WSOP.
i think a better name would be cowboys, or pencils
maybe those will be used sometime in the future.
like donkeys, both cowboys and pencils draw.

10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Donkey isnt a replacement for fish. A fish is still a fish. A donkey is an idiot or an idiotic play. A fish is just weak.

10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
donkeys arn't drawers or bad players. The term in my understanding is someone that can't be moved off a hand. (Donkeys will call with very little on the river as well).

Think of the frustrated owner pulling a donkey trying to budge him to move them both from safety.

One of the best players i have ever seen said he was going to write a book called how to win at poker. The first line was going to be "never bluff a donkey". The rest of the book was going to be empty.

10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
donkeys arn't drawers or bad players. The term in my understanding is someone that can't be moved off a hand. (Donkeys will call with very little on the river as well).

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought donkeys were known for drawing without proper odds, and chasing everything, not necessarily being unbluffable. those are calling stations. i can see the analogy with the stubborn donkey, but the context it's been used is inconsistent with that for some reason.

10-24-2005, 05:30 PM
I've probaly seen the phrase "donk" used a dozen times or so lately. It still perplexes me everytime. It's deffinatly something that is just cathing on and it's context still is not very clear.

What's it mean to get "donked" ??

Do I get "donked" when my AK is beat by J10s on a board of A 2 8 J J ? (Should probaly only happen in limit.)

Or does that player get "donked" when his J10s is beat by my AK on a board od A 10 8 2 7 ? (Now that I think about it, I see this phrase used almost exclusivly in limit.)

That last situation makes more sence because he sat there like a freakin donkey when all things pointed to him being beat.

UATrewqaz
10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Donkey and fish are used pretty interchangably but there are slight differences.

Donkey is just stubborn, aka refuses to lay down hands that are bad or draws that are bad.

A fish is just a weak player who donates money to the rest of the table (aka food).

But fish make alot of donkey plays.

That's my understanding anyway.

Pog0
10-24-2005, 06:10 PM
A donk bet is when you bet into the last street's aggressor.

For example,
UTG limps. Button Raises. Hero calls.
Flop x x x.
UTG now "donk bets" instead of checking to the raiser. Applicable on all streets after PF.

Vincent Lepore
10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's it mean to get "donked" ??

[/ QUOTE ]

It means "Hey, thank you for moving in all of you chips with K,J when I have Ace King...oops you won! What a donkey ,move you no playing, know nothing, Donkey". Just ask Phil Helmuth I'm sure he will agree with me.

Vince