PDA

View Full Version : "proper" dinner atttire

Aces McGee
10-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey guys...really stupid question, I know, but I'm pretty much a dolt when it comes to stuff like this.

I'm going to dinner tonight at a somewhat nice Italian place in Georgetown (in DC). I forgot to wear a jacket to work (don't need to wear jackets or ties at my office), and I don't have time to go home before dinner.

Will I have a problem if I show up in a dress shirt, dress pants, and nice-ish shoes? The restaurant home page requests "proper attire" for dinner (lunch is casual), and I have no idea what that means. Why can't they just spell it out in plain English?

Here's the restaurant homepage, if that helps any.
Filomena (http://www.filomenadc.com)

Thanks in advance.

-McGee

jb9
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
You should be fine -- they probably want to avoid t shirts and jeans. Few places require jackets anymore.

But if it is bugging you, just call and ask if they require men to wear jackets for dinner.

sfer
10-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I see mozzarella sticks on the dinner menu. You'll be fine.

Aces McGee
10-24-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see mozzarella sticks on the dinner menu. You'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but these mozzarella sticks are listed in a foreign language.

Anyway, sounds like I'm worrying too much. From now on, as long as I wouldn't deem my attire improper, I'll assume I'm fine.

-McGee

BoogerFace
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
You'll be fine. If they are jacket manatory, they'll loan you one.

swede123
10-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I can't imagine what "proper attire" would mean if not a sports coat/dinner jacket. If they actually stated this on their website my initial hunch would be jacket and tie are expected/required. Then again, what do I know.

Swede

xadrez
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
try this

http://www.backwardglances.com/images/pimp%20suit.jpg

ononimo
10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
calling the restaurant and asking sounds like the correct play.

tek
10-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Just go to Kmart and get a corduroy jaclet with brown elbow
patches and they'll think your a local perfessor or a Democrat campaign worker /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

FouTight
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I can't imagine this place caring if you are not wearing a jacket. I would probably go to a place like that wearing khakis and a sweater.

Also, I've been reading WAY too much OOT, I read this as "Pooper" dinner attire.

Jeffage
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Filomena is a GREAT GREAT restaurant. I think as long as you wear business casual (khakis, polo, button down, etc), you will be fine. Jackets are definitely not required. Been there many times...

Jeff

sfer
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Filomena is a GREAT GREAT restaurant. I think as long as you wear business casual (khakis, polo, button down, etc), you will be fine. Jackets are definitely not required. Been there many times...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Good mozzarella sticks?

MonkeeMan
10-24-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try this

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, my quest for a halloween costume is over! Where to get???

Aces McGee
10-24-2005, 03:39 PM
sfer, are you referencing El Diablo's mozz sticks thread or mocking my (and Jeffage's, apparently) choice of restaurants?

Either is fine, I'm just curious.

-McGee

Jeffage
10-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't know about their mozzarella sticks, but this is a very good restaurant and is one of the most popular Italian places in D.C. Dinner is probably in the $40 range per person and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting. Reservations on Saturday night are practically impossible. No, it's not Nobu-level in terms of fine dining, but it is certainly not a chain-type place.

Jeff

sfer
10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sfer, are you referencing El Diablo's mozz sticks thread or mocking my (and Jeffage's, apparently) choice of restaurants?

Either is fine, I'm just curious.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

The first post was obviously a joke but this time I'm actually serious. Fried cheese tastes good period and I wanted to know how some sticks with a little care tasted.

IndieMatty
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fried cheese tastes good period and I wanted to know how some sticks with a little care tasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee, no where as good as these:

http://whitecastle.com/_assets/images/food/menu/cheese_sticks_lg.jpg

pokerdirty
10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try this

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise.

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/reviewsgfx/dnd5.jpg

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 07:14 PM
You will be fine. Proper attire pretty much means just what you are wearing. If they needed a jacket or tie, they'd say so.

Aces McGee
10-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks, guys. I was fine with the attire I was wearing.

Since sfer showed an interest, I went ahead and order the mozzarella sticks as an appetizer (along with the stuffed mushroom caps). They actually weren't sticks, per se; rather, they were large, triangular wedges, about an inch thick and maybe two inches on a side.

They were certainly tasty, but not very different than your standard mozz sticks. They were a bit less greasy, and therefore lacked the aftertaste that you get with most sticks (and other fried appetizers) at cheaper restaurants that probably don't change their frying oil as much as we'd like. That alone probably made them the best mozzarella sticks I've ever had, but it's by a pretty small margin.

The dipping sauce was a touch unique; rather than a marinara paste, it was halved cherry tomatoes and basil, sauteed together. It was good, although it's hard to get a cherry tomato to stay on top of a mozzarella stick.

-McGee

WDC
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
call them up and ask

jaydub
10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Since sfer showed an interest, I went ahead and order the mozzarella sticks as an appetizer (along with the stuffed mushroom caps). They actually weren't sticks, per se; rather, they were large, triangular wedges, about an inch thick and maybe two inches on a side.

They were certainly tasty, but not very different than your standard mozz sticks. They were a bit less greasy, and therefore lacked the aftertaste that you get with most sticks (and other fried appetizers) at cheaper restaurants that probably don't change their frying oil as much as we'd like. That alone probably made them the best mozzarella sticks I've ever had, but it's by a pretty small margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

This style is standard for fried mozzarella at the better italian restaurants. They are also usually better quality cheese, or at least actually real cheese, than the cheap alternatives one finds elsewhere.

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 08:31 PM
As jaydub said, this is pretty standard for "fried mozzarella" at nice Italian restaurants. It is one of my favorite apps ever.