PDA

View Full Version : Buy SPY now?

10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
So, I have 2k to invest and want to buy 17 shares of SPY. It's at about 119 now so I can only buy 16. Should I just go ahead and buy 16 or you think it's going down $2 or so soon? Anyone think the interest rates will go up again?

Sniper
10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TopSet,

Why are you paying commission to buy the SPY, when you can invest in an index fund for No transaction fee?

10-24-2005, 02:21 PM
the comission's only $7. VFINX needs a 3k minimum and they also have anual fees and stuff don't they? Scottrade doesn't have any fees...only the $7 comission. If I were going to invest like 10% of my salary every month or something then I woulda bought an index fund so I don't have to pay a comission every time. However, I'm just planning on putting 2k in SPY for now until I learn more about stocks. Anything wrong with my thinking?

Thanks

10-24-2005, 03:41 PM
imo its kinda pointless to put 2k in there for short term(seems like thats what your wanting by your entry and wanting to learn more)

Sniper
10-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to make sure that you were thinking about all relevant factors between your choices. You should consider that even though you might not have plans to add to your investment now, that might change in the future.

You might find this article interesting (http://biz.yahoo.com/ms/051011/145714.html?.v=1)

10-24-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
imo its kinda pointless to put 2k in there for short term(seems like thats what your wanting by your entry and wanting to learn more)

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I was just doing that because pretty everything I read said to start out with index funds if you don't have an idea of what's going on. I see your point though...
[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to make sure that you were thinking about all relevant factors between your choices. You should consider that even though you might not have plans to add to your investment now, that might change in the future.

You might find this article interesting (http://biz.yahoo.com/ms/051011/145714.html?.v=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for the link, it was helpful.

Girchuck
10-27-2005, 12:16 PM
SPY can go lower.
Wait for the winter. When the heating expenses cripple consumers before the Christmas season, SPY will go much lower

Sniper
10-27-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SPY will go much lower

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your basis for thinking this?

Its worth noting that the market is about to enter the seasonally strongest time of the year!