PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl Champs

TomCollins
10-24-2005, 01:31 PM
I can take Texas +300, and VT +1150.

I think either these teams can beat USC 40% of the time. With Georgia losing their QB, Alabama with some tough games ahead and missing a key player, I don't think an SEC team will pull in front of both of these teams.

Texas will not lose, although its possible VT passes them with some wins over Miami and Florida State. If USC stumbles against Cal or UCLA, I could have a guaranteed winner as well.

Too good to pass up?

bugstud
10-24-2005, 01:43 PM
it is ncaa, so a lock is the wrong word here, but I like your chances.

whipsaw
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Combined you're getting about +138 for the two teams, which means you need to win over 42% of the time to be profitable. I personally don't think VaTech even hangs close to USC if they get there, and Texas hasn't seen offensive talent even close to SC's all year. I don't think either one has a 40% to win. I agree that Texas will win out, so maybe the better play is just UT at +300?

TomCollins
10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
You did see USC struggle with Arizona, right? Not Arizona State, Arizona. A team that struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame. A team that struggled with Oregon. And a team that barely beat ASU.

I think way too many people are putting their money thinking USC is invincible. They are good, but I'd take 6-5 with any (healthy) top 5 team against them.

The question seems to be, is there any chance neither Texas or VT makes the game?

Page Jacobson
10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question seems to be, is there any chance neither Texas or VT makes the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet a lot of money that Texas plays in the Rose Bowl. Weather they win the game after they get there is a different question.

scott8
10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You did see USC struggle with Arizona, right? Not Arizona State, Arizona. A team that struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame. A team that struggled with Oregon. And a team that barely beat ASU.

I think way too many people are putting their money thinking USC is invincible. They are good, but I'd take 6-5 with any (healthy) top 5 team against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm, the way the schedule lays out, UCLA very likely will be a top 5 team when they play USC.

I will take this bet for whatever you want.

Regards,

SC.

TomCollins
10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I should have clarified scott. I meant any team that is one of the 5 best, not in the top 5 in the rankings. I do not consider UCLA to be a top 10 team. This is the same as when Texas beat Texas Tech. Tech was in the top 10, but clearly not one of the best 10 teams in the country.

scott8
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
All in good fun. Just saw a chance for a west coast guy to stick it to a Texan /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-(U)SC

tolga
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the same USC that was supposed to have a battle against OU last year.

Champions play like champions, this is what it comes down to. They've stumbled a bit this year, but I think part of that is that every team comes out super psyched to take on the champs, and the champs are a little slow out of the gate because they are so used to rolling.

SC is fallible, but they are about as close to invincible as a college football team will ever be.

SC-UT will be a blast to watch, this much is for sure.

fnurt
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
If UCLA wins out, what are the chances they play in the Rose Bowl themselves? This might dampen the chances of your "guaranteed winner" scenario.

TomCollins
10-25-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't see them passing Texas in the human polls. Texas will not lose before the Rose Bowl. My only concern is neither VT or Texas in the Rose Bowl.

NajdorfDefense
10-25-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see them passing Texas in the human polls. Texas will not lose before the Rose Bowl. My only concern is neither VT or Texas in the Rose Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the bet, VT would pass USC in the BCS rankings if they beat Miami and FSU, and I don't see Texas slipping up, PLUS the fact that USC's wins diminish in stature each week, ASU, Hawaii, they better hope ND runs the table.

I think there's a solid chance USC does not go undefeated. Greater than 40%.

Naj

llabb
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this still available? I see Texas around +220. Where is it +300?

I am considering hedging on USC (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3775389&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1), since I was able to take them pre-season at +175. Good idea, or let it ride?

scott8
10-25-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the bet, VT would pass USC in the BCS rankings if they beat Miami and FSU, and I don't see Texas slipping up, PLUS the fact that USC's wins diminish in stature each week, ASU, Hawaii, they better hope ND runs the table.

Naj

[/ QUOTE ]

USC has 3 games left against top 25 teams. VT would not pass them in the BCS if both run the table.

TomCollins
10-26-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this still available? I see Texas around +220. Where is it +300?

I am considering hedging on USC (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3775389&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1), since I was able to take them pre-season at +175. Good idea, or let it ride?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was futures trading. The price has gone up slightly, but I think someone was still willing to sell at 245 or so.

NajdorfDefense
10-26-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naj

[/ QUOTE ]

USC has 3 games left against top 25 teams. VT would not pass them in the BCS if both run the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not where they are ranked *now* it's where they are ranked at the end of the year.
Miami and FSU will still be top 5 top 15 teams at end of year, UVa could climb back in it, Clemson will stop choking and finally win a few. The 3 teams USC plays will not all be in top 25 at year end, I think, and will be lower ranked than Mia and FSU.
It will come down to the computers, just like 2000. And you don't know what the hell they might do.

Naj

NajdorfDefense
10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not where they are ranked *now* it's where they are ranked at the end of the year.
Miami and FSU will still be top 5 top 15 teams at end of year, UVa could climb back in it, Clemson will stop choking and finally win a few. The 3 teams USC plays will not all be in top 25 at year end, I think, and will be lower ranked than Mia and FSU.
It will come down to the computers, just like 2000. And you don't know what the hell they might do.

Naj

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, I meant VaTech has 3 games left against top 11 ranked teams, I totally forgot about BC this week.
USC has one game against current top 13 or so.

Of course, it depends more on where they finish. But if VaTech runs the table, man will it be close. SE voters will be hardpressed not to recognize them.

Naj