PDA

View Full Version : Playing short stack near bubble in limit holdem tournament

betgo
10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
There are 15 people left with 10 places paying in a limit holdem $50 MTT on Party. I have T4000 which is low for my table. I gradually lose the whole stack.

Most of the hands are raised. Sometimes there is a reraise. Sometimes the raise takes the blinds. Usually it is 2 or 3 players to a flop. The table is 7-handed. The blinds are 150/300. The play is not particularly tight because of the bubble.

I played 2 significant hands. In one I started with T3500. I raised from the button with 66. Short stack in BB calls. Flop is AQTr. Check, I bet call. Turn is 7: check, check. River is J: check, check. Villain has T3o and wins. I might have won it if I kept firing, but it wasn't a good flop for 66.

The other hand I started with T1500. SB open raised. I reraised with K3o from the BB. Flop comes 643 all diamonds. Villain bets, I raise allin. Villain had 96o and wins the hand.

In other situation, I had T8s and T2000 on the button and passed. The results would have been good, since I would have flopped a straight. However, I knew I would be called being short stacked and the hand was not that strong short stacked 2 or 3 way.

Part of the problem was I just never got any Sklansky level 4 or better hands. I also lost the 2 hands I played although I had better starting hands.

I find it difficult to play short stacked in limit, because you can't just reraise allin or something. I usually play aggressively short stacked, but in limit it seems hard to maneuver, and I probably seemed weak/tight.

I think I made a mistake not calling raises from the BB earlier. I think you kind of need to call a late position raise from the BB with almost anything. Short stacked, if I call and make a pair or draw, I probably need to put all my chips in with it.