PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Restaurant in Boston...awesome concept

DcifrThs
10-24-2005, 12:14 PM
My brother called me last night and told me about a dinner that he went to at Dick's in boston.

his girlfriend's parents took the love birds out to dinner at dick's and devin had never been there before, and neither had the mother (only the girl and dad had been there before).

the concept of this restaurant is that service is BAD and waiting staff treat customers badly.

for example, when you sit down at the table, the waiter tosses the placemats, knives, forks on the table and you set your own table.

when the waiter comes to take your order he/she said "WHAT? what the [censored] do you want?"

they dont check on you, you have to get your own stuff etc.

the funny part is that the staff puts white hats on customer's with black marker writing on them. my brother's girlfriend's hat said " im with stupid." that was the only one i rmember now but there was ONE hat that had something written on it and was on the head of a patroness at a nearby table.

people around were laughing and when the waiter came to her table she took the hat off and for a moment forgot that she was at Dick's and actually slapped the waiter, then remembered and felt bad. the woman's hat said:

"Her pants are easier to get into than community college"

anyways, when i visit my brother i'll be sure to go to this place as it sounds like its great for a larf.

Barron

RacersEdge
10-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Are they realted to Dick's Last Resort? I think they cut your tie off if you wore one.

Personally, I hate crap like this. I don;t go to restaurant to be "entertained" by waiters. I'd probably drop him.

diebitter
10-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting concept, but it does sound like it'd get really old really fast.

DcifrThs
10-24-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm. Interesting concept, but it does sound like it'd get really old really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

id still like to go for a 1 night thing or see the expressions of friend's upon visiting. not a normal thing i agree.

Barron

ononimo
10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
i think paying for the "privilege" of being mistreated is a bona-fide sign that a civilization has long ago reached its peak and is definitively in decline.

SackUp
10-24-2005, 12:22 PM
sounds like a great place to dump a person.

They have one in Downtown San Deigo as well. I think it is a chain. I've never been there, but I've heard it is pretty fun. I'll likely check it out soon and will report back.

B Dids
10-24-2005, 12:24 PM
I pretty much have zero tolerance for any place that has a schtick that means they get to treat me with anything less than total respect.

There was some place in Seattle, the Bealiner, IIRC, and their whole deal was snappy waitresses with an "East Coast" vibe. So basically they were curt with us and non-helpful. The guy that took us there thought it was all very cute and wonderful, but I just wanted to kill.

sfer
10-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I'll pass.

Yeti
10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-24-2005, 12:31 PM
They've got one of these in Myrtle Beach, SC and another in NC in a similar area. I wanted to go when I first saw one, but then decided against it. I'd only end up getting pissed off. I could see why they'd be popular in tourist areas, as locals would probably never go more than once!

JihadOnTheRiver
10-24-2005, 12:32 PM
I went to one in San Diego twice. The first time I was shitfaced and wasn't fully prepared. Apparently, they draw the line at pouring beer on your waiters head and kick you out. I know, BS right? The second time I went sober and had a great time. If you're capable of belligerent assness, it gets pretty fun to play back at them.

SheetWise
10-24-2005, 12:45 PM
It would sure make calculating the tip easy.

TiK
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
So at a place like this, do the waitstaff get tipped the worse the service is? Being that "good" service here is bad service?

kenberman
10-24-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are they realted to Dick's Last Resort? I think they cut your tie off if you wore one.

Personally, I hate crap like this. I don;t go to restaurant to be "entertained" by waiters. I'd probably drop him.

[/ QUOTE ]

same place.

the best part about this place is the # of bachelorette parties. otherwise, eh

10-24-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So at a place like this, do the waitstaff get tipped the worse the service is? Being that "good" service here is bad service?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed DeBevic's (sp), in chicago, is along the lines of this place. IMO, the better the entertainment, the better the tip. I remember tipping huge, because about 6 waiters sang a "birthday" song to this kid that was about 14 or 15. It was called the puberty song, it was hilarious, but i cant remember any of the words.

jason_t
10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boris
10-24-2005, 01:11 PM
sounds lame.

mslif
10-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't like to be mistreated or verbally abused. I'll pass.

Dominic
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I've been there....it's a Boston institution...a lot of fun to go to, and the food is pretty good.

MelK
10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Finally a Restaurant that DasLeben can work at without bitching about being stiffed. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Boris
10-24-2005, 01:27 PM
The whole gimmick thing just really bugs me. Like when you fly Southwest and the flight attendant tries to make jokes on the intercom. Not funny, just annoying. Or when you go to Cold Stone Creamery and they sing that retarted song when you leave a tip. sorry no tip from me. And of course the worst gimmick of all is having the waitstaff sing happy birthday. This has to be the most unpleasant dining experience ever.

DMBFan23
10-24-2005, 01:31 PM
the awesomest part is the hats they make that have insulting phrases written on them

dtbog
10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I think there's a place called Durgin Park in Boston that has a similar premise.

I love the idea. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tonypaladino
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

James Boston
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed DeBevic's (sp), in chicago, is along the lines of this place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate there when I was a kid. I ordered quesadillas, and being from the south, the waiter kept asking "do you like them case-er-dillers." I spit soda on his arm, and he got pissed.

tdarko
10-24-2005, 01:52 PM
this place has been around forever in dallas (and many other places too).

i love this place, when they throw [censored] at you throw it right back at them and get mean with them, see the looks on their faces. good times.

had a friend tell the waiter, "you touch my tie and i will strangle the life out of you with what is left of it."

i love this place.

tek
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a place I wouldn't eat at, but I might be able to get a job there since I have real life experience acting like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

10-24-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And of course the worst gimmick of all is having the waitstaff sing happy birthday. This has to be the most unpleasant dining experience ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes indeed. I remember back in the early 90's very few places did this. Now they do it at McDonalds for Ch****'s sake. It's old, real old.

I like the Southwest pilots. Flying is always a tense experience for everyone and it helps that the guy controlling the plane is down to Earth and has a sense of humor. Let's just hope he doesn't have a sense of humor about falling down to Earth!

Dave Attell went to a place in Memphis or something with black girls grillin burgers for drunk guys and they were all cussing at eachother. it was really funny. And real. They said they got tired of being cussed at by drunks that they started doing it back!

Dicks is a chain though and it's not "real".

jason_t
10-24-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or when you go to Cold Stone Creamery and they sing that retarted song when you leave a tip. sorry no tip from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! God that is [censored] annoying.

Slow Play Ray
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I only went to Dick's once, for a bachelor party. It was a long limo ride in, so I ran straight for the urinal. By the time I got out, my buddies were like "we gotta leave, Rigo got kicked out." What?! We were there for literally 3 minutes. Apparently there was a bachelorette party there, and they needed a pair of boxers. So Rigo, happy to help out, drop trou in the middle of the bar, hands over his boxers, and pulls his pants up.

The manager told me "we only have one rule here, and your buddy just broke it."

diebitter
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
I like Rigo.

David04
10-24-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed DeBevic's (sp), in chicago, is along the lines of this place. IMO, the better the entertainment, the better the tip. I remember tipping huge, because about 6 waiters sang a "birthday" song to this kid that was about 14 or 15. It was called the puberty song, it was hilarious, but i cant remember any of the words.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I went to Ed Debevic's when I was in Chicago, it was pretty funny stuff. All of the staff were giving the customers [censored].

NotMitch
10-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I've been there thought it sucked but the food was ok.

MINETZ
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
this is just like Ed Debevics... I hate these places, you tip them to serve you, not to make fun of you.

tek
10-24-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The manager told me "we only have one rule here, and your buddy just broke it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Rigo should have said (while leaving) "The only rule I have is the one wiener rule" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Toro
10-24-2005, 06:24 PM
How original. They copied Durgin Park.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
OMFG THAT SOUNDS SO KEWL!!!@?!@?!@?!@!&#&**#**&&&!

Why am I not surprised you think this is an awesome concept?

When you move to NYC, check out Jekyll & Hyde's, I suspect it will be your favorite bar.

This place sounds stupid and annoying. Generally, restaurants built around some sort of silly schtick suck.

The only two theme restaurants that don't suck are Chuck E. Cheese and Medieval Times. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Chuck E. Cheese in 20+ years or Medieval Times ever, but I am still pretty sure they rule. I look forward to visiting them soon.

sfer
10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Generally, restaurants built around some sort of silly schtick suck.

The only two theme restaurants that don't suck are Chuck E. Cheese and Medieval Times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry's Hofbrau doesn't suck. It rules.

FatalError
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
being a recent college graduate who still lives in boston, that place is really a huge joke to anyone that's been around here for a while, it's the kind of place you go twice and realize it's an overpriced gimmick to sell shitty food

Evan
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
being a recent college graduate who still lives in boston, that place is really a huge joke to anyone that's been around here for a while, it's the kind of place you go twice and realize it's an overpriced gimmick to sell shitty food

[/ QUOTE ]
Being a college student who lives in NY, that place is a huge joke. I realized without ever going there that it's an overpriced gimmick to sell shitty food.

sublime
10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Being a college student who lives in NY, that place is a huge joke. I realized without ever going there that it's an overpriced gimmick to sell shitty food.

no booster seats, eh?

billyjex
10-24-2005, 08:53 PM
medieval times is really cool. i only went there as a kid, it's been awhile, but i remember it being really fun.

bdk3clash
10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
True fact: My table got kicked out of Dick's in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina when I was in college because one of us (not me) set another guy's white paper "dunce cap" on fire.

Slow Play Ray
10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True fact: My table got kicked out of Dick's in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina when I was in college because one of us (not me) set another guy's white paper "dunce cap" on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

so i was lied to - they do have more than one rule...

MaxPower
10-24-2005, 11:35 PM
There was an EdDebevics in New York for a while on Broadway in the Village. It didn't last long.

Clarkmeister
10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I find this concept to be significantly less than awesome.

DcifrThs
10-24-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OMFG THAT SOUNDS SO KEWL!!!@?!@?!@?!@!&#&**#**&&&!

Why am I not surprised you think this is an awesome concept?

When you move to NYC, check out Jekyll & Hyde's, I suspect it will be your favorite bar.

This place sounds stupid and annoying. Generally, restaurants built around some sort of silly schtick suck.

The only two theme restaurants that don't suck are Chuck E. Cheese and Medieval Times. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Chuck E. Cheese in 20+ years or Medieval Times ever, but I am still pretty sure they rule. I look forward to visiting them soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

i went to a friend's bday party at chucky cheese many years ago. it was a blast.

ive been to medieval times thrice. ruled each time.

the way my brother described it, dick's sounded funny. i agree, however, that most "schtick" restaurants suck.

Barron

DcifrThs
10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
oh yea...

one more thing "Brickskellar" FAR From sucks. its theme is that it has the guiness book of world records record for largest variety of beer sold (changes frequently but 1286 different beers was the largest count i heard during my time in washington dc)

Barron

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yea...

one more thing "Brickskellar" FAR From sucks. its theme is that it has the guiness book of world records record for largest variety of beer sold (changes frequently but 1286 different beers was the largest count i heard during my time in washington dc)

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

That does not sound like something I would put in the same category.

ftball0000
10-25-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or when you go to Cold Stone Creamery and they sing that retarted song when you leave a tip. sorry no tip from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! God that is [censored] annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend works at a cold stone... trust me they hate it too.

Although it can be quite funny to tip them 5-6 times in a row and watch them get pissed at you, b/c they have to keep singing those gay songs

siccjay
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I figured OOT would be into this more than it is. I think it's a cool concept. It's not like you don't get to be an [censored] back. I'd have fun with it.

-Skeme-
10-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I prefer Dick's in Seattle. It's the place where the cool hang out.

Wad
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
A pic of a friendly waitress at Dick's:

http://www.geocities.com/lkwad/100_0170.jpg

jaydub
10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yea...

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Brickskellar is great but they run out of beers to easily, meaning I need to provide an ordered list of choices. They also need more draft beers. I often choose bars with less bottle choices that have a few great beers on tap.

sfer
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it's really annoying to spend 10 minutes picking a beer to have the waiter come back and tell you they don't have any. It's a million times more annoying the third time. And, retardedly, my typical reaction to that is to say "Gimme a Sierra then."

MarkL444
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jonny
10-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I've been to the dick's in Myrtle Beach and it sucked. My friend who dragged me their thought it was awesome. The ribs tasted like roadkill that had been searing in the desert for about a week.

Oh, and the waitresses were really annoying. I will never go back to dick's.

Such a bad restaurant, its hard to belive anyone would go there more than once.

SittinOnDubsWGW
10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get beer at Chuck E. Cheese as well, its good times.

A_C_Slater
10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Those silly waiter's and their shenanigans! They're supposed to treat you all respectful like because you're patronizing their restaurant and they want your return business.

But instead they do the opposite and treat you like [censored]! Those silly Dickie's staff. It's like living in opposite world! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

slamdunkpro
10-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Ah, the Brickskeller.. many a night was spent there. My favorite bit there was when some clown sat down and ordered a "Bud"

peachy
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM
have u never heard of these resturants?? we have them all over in the south...down here the sayings on the hats get a bit more vulgur i guess

a kid at the table next to us, his said:
Micheal Jacksons favorite play thing

lol

and they dont treat u like total [censored]...if u dont mind it/want that then sure they will...but a few of the times we have gone its been fine service - just halarious hats, and they always have live bands playing at the ones down here that are pretty good...its always fun with a decent sized group of people