PDA

View Full Version : A Theoretical Great Spot For a Stop and Go

10-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Blinds are 75/150. Button miniraises, SB folds. Hero has AA and t301 before posting BB.

splashpot
10-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Why would you want to stop and go here. You want him to go all in. The stop and go is used to make people fold.

schwza
10-24-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 75/150. Button miniraises, SB folds. Hero has AA and t301 before posting BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it.

splashpot
10-24-2005, 11:55 AM
And you would "go" with 1 chip??

pooh74
10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shakes head in disbelief

schwza
10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to stop and go here. You want him to go all in. The stop and go is used to make people fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

you do want him to fold the flop if you don't flop an ace. maybe that's the joke? this thread sucks.

10-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Fold equity is good for us when calling is correct for villain. Calling is clearly correct for villain preflop, and we definitely have 0 FE. After the flop, calling is essentially always correct for villain also (he's getting 751 to 1), so if he folds he's made a big mistake, and it's great for us. If we can get him to fold some ridiculously small %age of the time, we've gained EV.

I mostly made this thread in response to the comment that I frequently see in threads in which people say "We have the best hand, so why stop and go?" Frequently, villain will be getting the correct odds to call even if we push, so we want villain to fold.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold equity is good for us when calling is correct for villain. Calling is clearly correct for villain preflop, and we definitely have 0 FE. After the flop, calling is essentially always correct for villain also (he's getting 751 to 1), so if he folds he's made a big mistake, and it's great for us. If we can get him to fold some ridiculously small %age of the time, we've gained EV.

I mostly made this thread in response to the comment that I frequently see in threads in which people say "We have the best hand, so why stop and go?" Frequently, villain will be getting the correct odds to call even if we push, so we want villain to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no...there is no explanation, your line on this hand matters....never. You know that.

Hornacek
10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]YSSCKY.

If this situation ever comes up for you enough to make it a realistic topic, then I'll take it back. Until then, this is retarded.

schwza
10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the flop, calling is essentially always correct for villain also (he's getting 751 to 1), so if he folds he's made a big mistake, and it's great for us. If we can get him to fold some ridiculously small %age of the time, we've gained EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's bad for us when villain folds after we flop a set (if he doesn't have backdoor draws).

pergesu
10-24-2005, 12:43 PM
I agree that this situation is basically useless, but he's right.

If you can make villain fold getting 675-1, that's phenomenal unless you flop an absolutely unbeatable hand, i.e. he has no chance to draw out.

Anyway that's the whole idea behind the SNG, isn't it? You've got no chance of making the villain fold preflop, and give him the chance to make an incorrect fold on the flop.

mosdef
10-24-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway that's the whole idea behind the SNG, isn't it? You've got no chance of making the villain fold preflop, and give him the chance to make an incorrect fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, IF you want him to fold hands preflop. Since you want him to call preflop when you hold AA in almost every situation it's largely irrelevant to AA. In the particular extreme situation laid out here, it would be great if he folded preflop for 1 more chip, but he won't so who the heck cares? Is he really more likely to fold after the flop for 1 more chip? As is often the case with these extreme preflop hypotheticals, the amount of time spent analysing them is better spent thinking about more common problems. The "should I stop-n-go here with AA" question is similar to the "should I fold preflop here with AA" question. It's rare enough that you can do the exact wrong thing everytime in your whole life that it comes up and lose $10 or some such meaningless amount. We should just drop it.

tjh
10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is a great example of the use of the Stop and Go.
** NOTE SARCASM ****
Meaning this move is a mistake, although a slight one chip mistake. The stop and go can be a mistake.

I am not a big fan of the stop and go. Fits into the FPS class if you ask me. I sum up the stop and go as giving three free cards to an aggressor in hopes that they miss the flop, fail to understand pot odds, have total junk, are big donkeys. Not that some or all of this is frequently true.

Sometimes the Stop and go works, you should not go looking for places to use it though. When you are in a real stop and go situation you will know it. Just pay attention and play poker.

--
tjh

The Yugoslavian
10-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd prefer a stop n stop n stop n stop.

But of course it will make like practically no difference to your resulting ROI.

Yugoslav