PDA

View Full Version : Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners

Jeffage
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
So yesterday I went clothes shopping, something I RARELY treat myself to, and spent a good bit of money. I stopped in one store and bought quite a bit of merchandise and I figured the bill would be in the $400 range. When I got rang up (as the store was closing), it came to only $225. I figured something was up, but they were sort of shoeing everyone out of the store and I looked at my receipt outside. Three shirts, which should have been $40 apiece came up as zero dollars when they scanned them. I didn't know what to do and at that point the store was locked, etc. I felt REALLY bad about it.

So I go home and turn on MSNBC and low and behold, there is a story about ethics with a panel of a rabbi, priest and Ms. Manners. They highlighted the story of a hidden camera exercise at a NYC restaurant where guests were given an obv. incorrect bill (50% error in their favor). About half of them corrected the error. I decided I was going to go back the next day and inform them of their mistake. Meanwhile, I played a certain game on the Internet and hemmoraged a few grand. Serves me right for not banging on the store door and fixing the error immediately like I knew I should. I don't need any bad karma right now.

I'll be hitting the mall on my way home today...trip report to follow if there is interest.

Jeff

IndieMatty
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
When I worked in retail this happened a few times. Some places still have a manual overide and the cashier could have simply been typing fast and hitting "0" instead of the enter key. Now if they came up like 8.97 or something, I think you may be able to just say "fug it". But since it's obvious there is some mistake, and the shirts are not free---going back is the right move.

Sightless
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe you saving that money on clothes was a Karmic reward?

diebitter
10-24-2005, 11:47 AM
You are doing right, adn you know it, don't you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peace of mind > saving a little money.

TheBlueMonster
10-24-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
for what? losing money later?

Sightless
10-24-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a good person? Doing good deeds?

TheBlueMonster
10-24-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but he lost money later.

Sightless
10-24-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but he lost money later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he didn't lose them, maybe they were given away to a person who really needed them in order to survive, thus resulting in another good deed?

steelcmg
10-24-2005, 12:06 PM
I think i would just keep the shirts it makes up for all those times they over charge you or give u the wrong change. You dont see them coming to your house to give back the money if they notice do you?

samjjones
10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9360/payit8wf.jpg

Pay it forward...

hyde
10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
So a few months ago I go shopping because I need a new wedding/funeral outfit. I do not get charged for the jacket. I'm with my 15 year old son....lesson time. So I call them the next day, they are a tad stunned, they give me 50% off the jacket as a thank you. Son had the right answer too! I'm not sure I would have at age 15. I'm sure I didn't at age 15.......

Fast forward three months. I just finished my seasonal business and had the worst year in 10 years. I will need to augment my income this winter by bagging groceries, playing "it" online or something. However both bagging groceries and playing "it" are currently running around minimum wage which will not support three teenagers in the manner to which they are accustomed, so I am reduced to robbing gas stations.
I am hoping the others who responded to you can help me do this in the most ethical and effective manner possible. Do you think not using a weapon as a pursuasive tool will negatively affect the ROI? I am considering "multi-stationing" but am afraid it will affect my "read" on individual clerks. I am also not sure at what level to begin, rural single clerk stations or multi-clerk where there are likely to be bigger payouts......
sorry, didn't mean to hijack your question, the caffiene just happened to kick in mid way through my story...

Your Mom
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So a few months ago I go shopping because I need a new wedding/funeral outfit. I do not get charged for the jacket. I'm with my 15 year old son....lesson time. So I call them the next day, they are a tad stunned, they give me 50% off the jacket as a thank you. Son had the right answer too! I'm not sure I would have at age 15. I'm sure I didn't at age 15.......

Fast forward three months. I just finished my seasonal business and had the worst year in 10 years. I will need to augment my income this winter by bagging groceries, playing "it" online or something. However both bagging groceries and playing "it" are currently running around minimum wage which will not support three teenagers in the manner to which they are accustomed, so I am reduced to robbing gas stations.
I am hoping the others who responded to you can help me do this in the most ethical and effective manner possible. Do you think not using a weapon as a pursuasive tool will negatively affect the ROI? I am considering "multi-stationing" but am afraid it will affect my "read" on individual clerks. I am also not sure at what level to begin, rural single clerk stations or multi-clerk where there are likely to be bigger payouts......
sorry, didn't mean to hijack your question, the caffiene just happened to kick in mid way through my story...

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY

highlife
10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
what store was it? i have a utilitarian view of things so this would matter in my decision.

Aloysius
10-24-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think i would just keep the shirts it makes up for all those times they over charge you or give u the wrong change. You dont see them coming to your house to give back the money if they notice do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? I can't tell...

Jeffage
10-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I just returned from the mall and here's what happened. I showed the manager the receipt and informed her of the error. She said she appreciated that I came in and that there would be no charge.

Jeff

Crimson
10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Good for you man, more power to ya.

asofel
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just returned from the mall and here's what happened. I showed the manager the receipt and informed her of the error. She said she appreciated that I came in and that there would be no charge.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was hoping it'd work out like that for you. Honesty's the best policy. I once put a slight "hole" in a wall at my local bar, told the manager and offered to fix it/take care of the charges. He said don't worry about it, and was thankful I mentioned it...

...although his way of fixing it was just to hang another outdated plaque over it, which amuses me to this day...

Dominic
10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9360/payit8wf.jpg

Pay it forward...

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant.

10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
When's the last time a representative of a business came running after you shouting, "WAIT SIR! There's been a terrible mistake. We've overcharged you."

B Dids
10-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, the place where I worked did this last week...

10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
You overcharged someone at the 'Everything's a Dollar' store?

B Dids
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Would you like to do this over and come up with something that was actually funny and/or insulting?

chisness
10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
i admit that i got off with a free $175 shirt a couple weeks ago. i got 6 shirts and was only charged for 5. i don't live near this store and parking was over $20 for just a couple hours if i wanted to drive there.

i don't plan on doing anything about it, though my mom has always taught me that i should. i think i would if it weren't so expensive, like a video game.

i kind of feel bad about it but it's not killing me.