PDA

View Full Version : Felt, Baize, velveteen fabric?

Larimani
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm about to buy some cloth for my poker tables. Should I get felt, baize or velveteen fabric. Note: I'm just gonna use the fabric as table covers... I'm not actually building a poker table (no glue or anything involved)
What do you suggest?

Khabbi
10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't know what baize is, but I'd definately 100% recommend velveteen over felt.

I have played on felt and velveteen. Felt is horrible for balling up and getting in the way of cards. Plus velveteen feels nicer, IMO.

Larimani
10-24-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what baize is...

[/ QUOTE ]

Baize is the fabric that you got on pool tables... I think it's a bit too expensive though...

John Bedtelyon
10-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Anything is good instead of felt, and naturally pool table felt is a great idea but like you said, it's extremely expensive.

Just don't go felt.

JMB

10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I would definitely recommend velveteen.

A couple buddies and I build tables on the side, and we use velveteen for our tables. We've sold around 250 tables and everyone loves the surface, and as of yet we've never heard a bad thing back about it.

It is a KILLER surface. Its extremely durable, doesn't pill, is really easy to work with, and has extremely vibrant color that won't fade or wear on you.

We can't believe that you can go into some high-end furniture/recreation store and buy a table for 1500 with no padded playing surface and the sh*ttiest felt on the face of the planet that pills and wears like crazy.

We used to just pick it up from a fabric store, but the color selection was limited and it would pill the first couple uses while getting broken in, so we get it online now. Higher quality stuff for cheaper. If you'd like, I can ask my buddy where we get it from online and get back to you.

Larimani
10-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the offer. I found an online shop that sells it for £4 per meter... cheaper than felt!!

ordered. Thanks for the replies.

adman2006
10-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Velveteen for sure, cheap and nasty (as in good).

Muck off
10-29-2005, 06:37 PM
go to a billiards store, ask if they have any used pool tables covers...i got mine for 20 bucks making my complete poker table build 80 bucks