PDA

View Full Version : Top pair, nut flush draw

jes123
10-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG+2 (t1535)
MP1 (t1840)
MP2 (t2900)
MP3 (t965)
CO (t695)
Button (t1775)
SB (t762)
BB (t2355)
Hero (t1305)
UTG+1 (t3850)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t125, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t95.

Flop: (t420) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP1 and CO have been fairly tight so far. What would be your move here?

10-24-2005, 09:54 AM
These are the kinds of hands that you have to love, having a big advantage over anything but a set. I'd play this one different every time, and not even sure which would be right, but I might check call this one thru to see the next card, check raise it and try to take down the pot or get all my chips in then, or lead out with a bet of half pot and see what happens.

woodguy
10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Given the stack sizes I go for a c/r all in on the flop.

My goal is to get as many of MP1 and CO's chips into the pot while also making the last raise.

I have a very good hand, and a great draw but only 1100 behind with a pot of 420 on the flop, so I only have enough chips for 1 raise.

Get as many of the opponents chips in on the flop and get the last raise in.

You are not getting any A to fold and I'm going to felt on this hand, so might as well try to get as many chips as possible.

That's why I don't lead at the pot, as MP1 will probably raise, pushing the CO out.

Regards,
Woodguy

whynot?
10-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Boy - i sure dont see this as being way ahead of any hand besides trips. i actually believe you're behind here and only get top hand if the flush hits. I'd put the initial raiser on tens or higher or aq up. I put the caller on a similar range. as such one of em has a higher kicker, and maybe trips. i play this slow hoping for a 9 or heart. even if a 9 hits im worried as aj is a possibility. i sure wouldnt go broke on this

jes123
10-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I followed the exact same line. I don't think I have taken this line before, leading to my original post.

I couldn't see letting a hand like this go, so I figured I would let them take the lead instead of possibly shutting them out with a flop push.

MP1 did in fact bet the pot, pushing the CO out. I checkraised all-in and he called, showing AQ. I didn't catch a heart or 9.

You mentioned stack sizes in your reply. What stack size scenario would change your line?

Thanks.

JustPlayingSmart
10-24-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Boy - i sure dont see this as being way ahead of any hand besides trips. i actually believe you're behind here and only get top hand if the flush hits. I'd put the initial raiser on tens or higher or aq up. I put the caller on a similar range. as such one of em has a higher kicker, and maybe trips. i play this slow hoping for a 9 or heart. even if a 9 hits im worried as aj is a possibility. i sure wouldnt go broke on this

[/ QUOTE ]

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1298263
pokenum -h ah 9h - as ks -- ad 5h jh
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Ad Jh 5h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ah 9h 444 44.85 534 53.94 12 1.21 0.455
As Ks 534 53.94 444 44.85 12 1.21 0.545

You need to rethink your comments. Hero is getting sufficient pot odds to call an all-in against a bigger ace. With the fold equity from a check/raise all-in this is fairly standard.

I might not limp this UTG and I might not call the raise, but if I did, I would certainly be getting all my chips in here. These are the kind of risks you need to take, especially early on, to build a stack that gives you a chance to win the tournament.

10-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Ok I did exaggerate a little, if villian has AJ or set you are behind to alot and drawing to your flush (35%). If villian has a stronger ace or A5, you are a coinflip here. If villian has a set, you only have a 30% chance. Anything else you are ahead of here. I still play top pair and nut flush very aggressively, because I got enough outs to risk all my chips.

If the 9 hit on the turn, all my chips would be in the middle on that turn one way or another, I wouldn't fear the AJ or set, I'd have too strong of a hand to throw away at that point.

woodguy
10-24-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned stack sizes in your reply. What stack size scenario would change your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

50+ BB's.

That's the problem with playing suited little A's OOP (out of position), you often get into a spot where you flop a draw and have to commit your stack on a thin edge.

You were 47% to make your hand against a bigger A that didn't hit 2 pair, so given the dead $$$ in the middle, you have to commit your stack here and you are not going to get and A to lay down, so you might as well get as many chips in the middle first.

I will generally fold this hand up front in order to not have to make a tough decision later.

The open limp is *ok*, but I would probably fold to the raise.

Regards,
Woodguy

jes123
10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I was going to fold to the raise, had the CO not called. I normally do not play these types of hands in this position and if I limp with them, I normally fold to raises.

I think that this came from my attempt to change my style a bit to one that would allow me to accumulate chips better in the early stages of a tournament. I have success in the later stages of tournaments, but I am trying to find a way to get there more often.

woodguy
10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think that this came from my attempt to change my style a bit to one that would allow me to accumulate chips better in the early stages of a tournament. I have success in the later stages of tournaments, but I am trying to find a way to get there more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try getting involved more in LP, and use your position to steal pots no one is trying to defend.

Play OOP is too tough in NLHE.

Regards,
Woodguy

whynot?
10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
think this comes down to pot odds versus tournament life. I'll buy the pot odds tell you to call any all in on this, but if someone goes all in your almost certainly the dog, in some cases a big dog. So, it really depends on the tourney situation as to whether you risk all your chips on something where your behind.

Melchiades
10-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Speaking of "tournament life" is right up there with "AK is a drawing hand".

betgo
10-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Fold initially and fold to teh preflop raise. Checkraise allin on the flop.

10-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Fold pf