PDA

View Full Version : Board Pair - you are PFR

10-24-2005, 06:42 AM
What’s your thinking when you are PFR and the flop comes with a low-mid board pair.
Is it scary or a minor blessing!?

You are PFR, and bet the flop. If you get reraised or called – how much do you worry about the board pair?

Situations:

You open with KK or AK and flop comes J77. You lead out and get called – what do you do on turn? Or you get reraised – what then?

And if you open with AK and flop K77, and you meet resistance. What then?
(Here most of the possible resisting hands would include a 7, I’d think.)

When facing a board pair and I meet resistance as PFR, I usually don’t give an unknown opponent credit for trips. In fact I feel more comfortable with an overpair to a paired board like J77 than to a J75 board when I meet resistance. And I worry even less when I see a board like J44. The reason is that I myself seldom call raises with SC’s or other non-pair hands, and the risk of quads I think is very minor.

Any educated thoughts on the above?

Thanx,
Zal3

10-24-2005, 06:47 AM
The only thing I can say in general about these situations, is I'm more likely to check an overpair on a paired baord than usual, and I'm more likely to bet overcards on a paired board than usual

kurto
10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
The higher the pair cards, the more I might be concerned.

Hand from last night:

I raise from EP with pocket Aces. 3 callers.

Flop comes 9 9 4. I lead for 1/2 pot. LP player minraises me. I call. I check call a turn and river bet.

Villain shows pocket Queens.

Had the paired cards been Jacks, queens or kings,... I would have folded.

10-25-2005, 04:56 AM
I don't give much credit for trips on paired boards when it stays HU (when I open, I always bet enough to limit the field to 1-2 callers). I myself very rarely call a strong preflop bet with a suited connector. IF, however, there already is a caller in, I often do that or reraise.

Thus, I give much more respect to the second caller (with regards to hitting a 55-88 board pair for trips), since for every pair (like 66) there are 16 possible SC that might have hit (8 76's + 8 65's, along with 1 66, thus 17 hits).

That being said, a board with a mid/low pair is very scary to me when there is more than 1 caller.

Low pairs (44-22) are much less dangerous. That is unless you play total muppets who just love to play any A3s for a call PF.

If you do hit T2PTK (!?), ie, AK vs K77 flop, you have outs to the nuts.

When I miss AK and see a J77 flop, I always lead out and bet turn at 50% HU if called regardless of whether I hit turn or not. The opponent most often sits on a mid/low PP and usually folds the turn, fearing an overpair. If I get called, I check/fold the river unimproved here. I check/decide if I hit the A/K.
Naturally, should I be reraised I fold my missed overs in a heartbeat.

If the pot is 3-way, I still lead out with AK. But if I'm called by the second caller, I check/fold turn unimproved. I check/call turn and check/decide river should I hit T2PTK on the turn. THis keeps the pot-size reasonable, and may induce a bet from a caller with a mid PP or some Jx hand. Also, board pairs seem to invite a lot of bluffing.
That of course depends on your assessment of the opponent.

If I'm called by the first caller, and the second folds, I play it the same as if it was HU to the flop.

Cheers,
Jaxz

10-26-2005, 09:31 AM
OK, Hotpants, Jaxz et al.
Any other opinions on this issue?

/Zal3