PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Situation ...to me at least

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Feel free to blast me, but this is completely from memory.

$55 6 handed game. Blinds were 100/200. Guy on my left had raised to 600 on the three previous hands, and showed AQ, AK, AQ in that order. On the next hand, I was the BB (so culprit in this story is UTG). And he raises to 600, and I have AJ.

Now, in my experience, usually when I go on a stealing binge, I'm usually getting a rush of cards. Like I'll steal one hand with 96s. Then AQ, then I'll wake up with KK and some guy with 99 decides someone's got to make a stand.

Anyhow, I had AJo. I was 4th in chips, and had 6BBs behind after posting. 3rd in chips was less than 1 BB ahead of me, and 5th and 6th stack were 2.5 BBs or less.

And I folded....

Insty
10-24-2005, 06:43 AM
I like it. A guy on that kind of rush would just suck out on you anyway. Even if you were ahead.

REL18
10-24-2005, 06:53 AM
if it were a live game id be pushing my chips so hard my wrist would break online id just click all in

brimstone1
10-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Your explanation for folding here can't be that he's on a rush of cards... is it?

If its not (which I'm sure it isnt) -- then I just can't see why you folded here.

I'd really like to know though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deuce2High
10-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Easy fold.

tigerite
10-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I'd really like the full list of stacks, but it sounds like your fold equity was almost zero. However, this might have been a great spot for a stop-and-go. I can't envisage pushing PF, as it'll be called for sure.

10-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Why did he show AQ, AK, AQ? I don't think it's because they're at the bottom of his range.

zambonidrivr
10-24-2005, 09:21 AM
how many chips did he have? he is on your left so when its your turn to steal, you'd be pushing into him. I like pushing AJ here.

Ixnert
10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did he show AQ, AK, AQ? I don't think it's because they're at the bottom of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an important point. Did he show AQ, AK, AQ because he was called down on each hand, or did he show his cards gratuitously? If the latter, there's a decent chance I call here; if the former, I don't even consider it because most people tighten their raising range after they've raised several hands in succession (and I'm willing to take the small EV hit to not have to worry about whether this guy is one of the small minority that doesn't).

GtrHtr
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
With 1200 or so after posting here are your options:

Call, horrible.
Push, I really dislike coming over the top with AJ in this situation and you're likely to get called.
Fold, looks good to me. Look for an opportunity to pick up some chips in the next 2 hands.

Up kinda late aren't you?

splashpot
10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Easy fold. Usually when I've raised the past 3-4 hands in a row, I tighten up my raising standard for a while. If they get impatient with me raising so much, they'll start to call with some marginal hands and my fold equity goes down. So if this guy is anything like me, he's got a better hand than AQ.

tigerite
10-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Why is a call, intending to stop and go on any flop when you have 6BB and closing the action, awful..?

I don't see it myself, but maybe I'm missing something.

GtrHtr
10-24-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is a call, intending to stop and go on any flop when you have 6BB and closing the action, awful..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call = 50% of your stack. Thats the only reason its horrible IMO. I don't like a stop and go in this scenario with hero's stack and only 600 more chips to push after the flop. To me it looks weak.

tigerite
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
That's a fair point, but it would still be around about half the pot on the flop. Might be enough to get him to fold just overcards or something, or TT on Q high etc. I dunno, tough one.

Actually - it's 6BB's after posting.. doesn't this mean he only has to call 2BB's as he's in the BB, then the push would be 4BBs = 800 into the pot of 1300? More difficult for Villian to call that without a hand, I'd have thought.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Usually when I've raised the past 3-4 hands in a row, I tighten up my raising standard for a while. If they get impatient with me raising so much, they'll start to call with some marginal hands and my fold equity goes down. So if this guy is anything like me, he's got a better hand than AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, when you steal 3 hands in a row and show powerhouses each time, you figure yourself for a freebie, "they'll give me credit".

I dunno scuba...I like the AT hand better.

unfrgvn
10-24-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't villian get to act first if scuba calls? So what do you do on a q 7 2r flop when villian puts you all in?

GtrHtr
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a fair point, but it would still be around about half the pot on the flop. Might be enough to get him to fold just overcards or something, or TT on Q high etc. I dunno, tough one.

Actually - it's 6BB's after posting.. doesn't this mean he only has to call 2BB's as he's in the BB, then the push would be 4BBs = 800 into the pot of 1300? More difficult for Villian to call that without a hand, I'd have thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, my bad. It's 400 (2xBB) more to call then 800 left to push. Better, but I still wouldn't do it here.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't villian get to act first if scuba calls? So what do you do on a q 7 2r flop when villian puts you all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Hero acts first, villain is UTG.

unfrgvn
10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No, Hero acts first, villain is UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed Scuba BB, sorry.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would only call if the guy's avatar was a waving "Super Mario".

splashpot
10-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Haven't seen you at the 27s lately pooh. Probably because I've been jumping between stars and party though.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't seen you at the 27s lately pooh. Probably because I've been jumping between stars and party though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in a very defined time slot lately. 7pm-12am...even in there very sporadic. Been replacing a table with the new 180 MTT/SNG the last couple of days...too early to see if this is going to be profitable.

10-24-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Been replacing a table with the new 180 MTT/SNG the last couple of days...too early to see if this is going to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]What's your initial impression? And, how long do these tend to last?

bawcerelli
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
saw a pooh74 at a 25 the other night and wondered if that was you.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Been replacing a table with the new 180 MTT/SNG the last couple of days...too early to see if this is going to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]What's your initial impression? And, how long do these tend to last?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the thing...They last a LONG time...ITM starts 2 and 1/2 hours in. But if you just have it running while you are 3 or 4 tabling, then its really not bad. Hourly rate is probably rotten, but its fun and you always got decent shot at a grand...lot of dead money.

(disclaimer: Ive only played 2 so I have no idea how these are going to be long term, but I ITM'd in my first one and bubbled 20th or something in the second one. I think experienced SNGers will have a nice edge at the FT in these things)

pooh74
10-24-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, not too many of us out there. Whats your SN? (if you dont mind?)

bawcerelli
10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
i'm gentleman55. i'm playing the 15's during the day and 25's in the evening. what's your name splash? pm it to me if you don't want to post it. gl 2u guys.

10-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Isn't he thinking 'I raised the last 3 with premium(ish) hands, so they won't think I'm bluffing here. Who steals after raising 3 times?'. I think I would be very tempted to push... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you stop n go? If you think you have the best hand here, you should move in. If you stop n go, you're only trying to get a better hand to fold. If you're up against a better hand than AJ, I think you should fold now.

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Hijack!

pooh74
10-24-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Hijack!

[/ QUOTE ]

ehem...so anyway, this guy is profiting off of his 3 shows and has nothing to lose by trying again...I shove em.

too loose?

edit: w/o seeing the stacks laid out, I could fold this too...I'd have to be there...But I bet villain will lay down here enough of the time, you have the best hand enough the time when called to make this profitable.

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ehem...so anyway, this guy is profiting off of his 3 shows and has nothing to lose by trying again...I shove em.

too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a style/preference I guess. I've given all the information I think that is necessary. Villain has raised 3 times prior, showed premium hands, and then, when UTG, which is an important consideration, IMO, he does it again.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a style/preference I guess. I've given all the information I think that is necessary. Villain has raised 3 times prior, showed premium hands, and then, when UTG, which is an important consideration, IMO, he does it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I tend to agree with you...when its ME, I will have a VERY good hand there (UTG and just raised 3 in a row)...but thats me and I dont like to make a habit of projecting my play upon others.

BTW, did he show that time?

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - AK again

pooh74
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - AK again

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should start projecting then. A table full of pooh.

10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm hoping the 20 table turbos aren't far behind!

10-24-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - AK again

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it still doesn't mean his range isn't significantly wider.

Scuba, care to fill us in on how he played after this?

pooh74
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - AK again

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it still doesn't mean his range isn't significantly wider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, again, if its me in villain's shoes, thats exactly what it means...If I have stolen 3 hands in a row I am tossing AJ and I am tossing 77 on down because of how I perceive my image to be. So given the setup his range is NOT that much wider.

Again, unless its the kind of reckless player, (which Is ee a bit of) who ahows a few times and thinks he now has credit for stealing with any two. Thats not me, but they exist as well.

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pushed into him on the very next hand with 89s and he folded. After that, I'm not sure, but I think he got third, and I got second.

Either way, I don't know how the future is as important as the past.

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why would you stop n go? If you think you have the best hand here, you should move in. If you stop n go, you're only trying to get a better hand to fold. If you're up against a better hand than AJ, I think you should fold now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering all the posting prior to this, I'm surprised this response has not gotten more discussion.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering all the posting prior to this, I'm surprised this response has not gotten more discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is correct and obvious and I don't think a stop and go is good here. Like the guy said, (very astutely), if you think you're ahead now, you should push, if not then you shoudl fold...youre not in a situation where you are dead if you fold this...Who was advocating a SnG anyway?

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because it is correct and obvious and I don't think a stop and go is good here. Like the guy said, (very astutely), if you think you're ahead now, you should push, if not then you shoudl fold...youre not in a situation where you are dead if you fold this...Who was advocating a SnG anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, "the guy" is me.

pooh74
10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, "the guy" is me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know! I was going along with your little rouse. You must think I'm REAL stupid! lol why do you think I said
"very astutely" ?? cas I would I only say that if were pretending to not realize it was you...lol, I dont give "real" compliments, cmon!